58 72.50%
  • Unsure

4 5.00%
  • No opinion

3 3.75%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

I voted no.

Because all you would get is the mess you saw with Jaime, Jason & Rich Ryder-threads would be filled with "we want Hal" or worst the behavior we saw towards Inhumans fans.

Leave well enough alone.

If you want him out of the picture via death-find another way.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    6 is too much. Let me do a quick Batman family count..Batman, Batwoman, Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood, Tim Drake, Damian Wayne,The Signal..Do I need to keep going on? The simple solution is Green Lantern book with Hal Jordan and Green Lantern Corps book with John,Guy,Simon,Jessica, and Kyle being Green Lanterns in other sectors.
    And how many of those guys held solo runs??? At least they were all given shots at ongoings without editorial issues.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Besides, if it can be done for someone you hate, it may also be done for someone you love down the road.
    I'm a Wally West/Cass Cain fan, dude.

You don't need to tell me. XD
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

I voted "no".

Hal should have stayed dead.Most of them should be depowered or retired. There's too many. The GL concept seems like even more of a Lensmen rip-off than ever.

Jessica Cruz should be the only GL and she's not even my favorite.
    Batman - Daredevil

Incredible Member

Why would Jessica need to be the only Green Lantern? She shouldn’t have become one in the first place.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

There is a way to make Hal as Parallax permanently palatable: keep normal GL Hal around too at the same time. It would be an interesting dynamic for a guy's worst enemy to LITERALLY be another version of himself.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    Why would Jessica need to be the only Green Lantern? She shouldn’t have become one in the first place.
    Mostly because I don't like the old ones anymore except for Kyle and even I don't want to go back to those days. Been there done that.

I think the GL concept works best when there is only one human in a vast cosmic army of aliens that we rarely see.

Why Jessica? DC could use another big name female hero and Green Lantern has been so diluted it's the easiest concept to do it with.
    Batman - Daredevil

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    From a purely personal perspective, I'd support Hal becoming Parallax again. I think it's probably a bad business move, but it's one that I myself would like to see. I've even suggested this sort of thing myself on here.

Hal as a villain is a truly terrifying concept. This is a guy who knows it all. He knows the secret passwords, the secret identities, the weaknesses, the flaws, the loved ones, the home addresses.....he knows it all. he's one of the most entrenched and respected heroes in the world and bringing all that to bear as a villain is far scarier than anything Lex Luthor, Darkseid, or the Joker have ever been capable of. A major hero (not some C-lister), a League founder going bad? That's huge.

And when you boil it all down, Hal never really changed in Zero Hour. He was still trying to save lives and be a hero as Parallax.....he just went overboard (way, way overboard). He was wonderfully sympathetic and I could completely see where he was coming from. I think Marz did pretty well handling Hal in the Kyle era, and it was always a pleasure to see Hal show up to struggle with his actions, even as he committed them. Hell, some days I look at the news and I think that maybe a scorched earth policy isn't the worst option and burning it all down to rebuild fresh has a lot of appeal to it.

And being possessed by Parallax doesn't **have** to mean Hal becomes a villain. He's been the fear Entity's host in the past. Perhaps he'd retain a measure of control if they were bonded again. Parallax, after all, isn't a villain exactly. It's a cosmic manifestation of a primal survival instinct. It just wants fear to eat and will get it by any means it can. Batman could be possessed by Parallax and not even notice. Parallax encouraged war and strife in the past because that created fear, but if you kept the thing full? It isn't going to care if you do it by scaring the pants out of criminals or innocent civilians. Or at least that's how I've always understood the creature. There's plenty of stories I haven't read that might contradict my interpretation.

Hal could be trying to steer the yellow Lanterns in a more heroic direction (it's been tried in the past, might be worth another shot). He could just be possessed by Parallax against his will but say "screw it, I'm still a hero and I'm not letting this yellow space bug stop me this time!"

I think it wouldn't go over very well with the audience, but I'd be interested in seeing Hal go yellow again (depending on how it was executed of course). But I'm biased as hell, so my opinion isn't worth much here.
    Not at all, I enjoyed reading this comment a lot even if I don't agree with Hal becoming Parallax again. I've noticed you always seem to be fair in your opinions towards Hal as a character, regardless of how you feel about him, so as far as I'm concerned your bias doesn't make your word irrelevant at all.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-19-2018 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Not at all, I enjoyed reading this comment a lot even if I don't agree with Hal becoming Parallax again. I've noticed you always seem to be fair in your opinions towards Hal as a character, regardless of how you feel about him, so as far as I'm concerned your bias doesn't make your word irrelevant at all.
    Thanks for the kind words.

I try to be fair in (most) things. I mean, I don't care much for Hal but other people do, and I can see the value in his character even if he isn't to my tastes.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Something else -- Alan could become Carol's love interest.
    This is an insult to Carol.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBat66 View Post
    Mostly because I don't like the old ones anymore except for Kyle and even I don't want to go back to those days. Been there done that.

I think the GL concept works best when there is only one human in a vast cosmic army of aliens that we rarely see.

Why Jessica? DC could use another big name female hero and Green Lantern has been so diluted it's the easiest concept to do it with.
    I can see where you’re coming from. I don’t agree with the Jessica part still but I definitely see what you mean. I’d personally just prefer Hal and Kyle but that’s just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    There is a way to make Hal as Parallax permanently palatable: keep normal GL Hal around too at the same time. It would be an interesting dynamic for a guy's worst enemy to LITERALLY be another version of himself.
    This is the only way I'd be okay with it. Superman has Bizarro as a distorted version of himself, Hal can have Parallax. And of course Parallax would be more like how Magneto has been handled in the past - where you might agree with his intentions, but revile his methods. Not the cartoonish, mustache-twirling, megalomaniac he was shown to be at times by less than original writers.

That, or have a new Parallax (same armor, because that design is awesome) -- Malvolio! (Malallax?)

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    This is the only way I'd be okay with it. Superman has Bizarro as a distorted version of himself, Hal can have Parallax. And of course Parallax would be more like how Magneto has been handled in the past - where you might agree with his intentions, but revile his methods. Not the cartoonish, mustache-twirling, megalomaniac he was shown to be at times by less than original writers.

That, or have a new Parallax (same armor, because that design is awesome) -- Malvolio! (Malallax?)
    Of course, this kind of defeats the purpose for the vast majority of people who like Hal only as Parallax.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Of course, this kind of defeats the purpose for the vast majority of people who like Hal only as Parallax.
    It does have a certain "have your cake and eat it too" mentality......which makes me surprised DC hasn't tried it already.

But at the same time, it does have potential if handled properly. I mean, not very many people seem too worried about having a Batman and a Batman Who Laughs. In fact, I'd guess that the vast majority of readers like the Joker-ized Batman and am glad he's sticking around the DCU (though I myself worry about over-exposure).

A Hal-Parallax co-existing with regular Hal could work in a similar way if the writer/s and editors found a solid hook and a way to make the two versions distinct. Before Johns brought Hal back, Parallax wasn't all that different from regular Hal; more emotionally distraught, more extreme in his methods, but largely he was just the same guy hitting a real rough patch. You could look at Parallax and see how Hal went from being a Lantern to being the villain. I dunno if that'd be different enough from regular Hal (especially when regular Hal is hitting one of his many rough patches) to be worthwhile.

But with the right hook? Who knows, having two Hal Jordans running around might actually work out.

And I say this as a guy who isn't a Hal fan at all and would be fine if he was written out of the comics forever.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I wouldn't mind him as Spectre though.