Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spectacular Member

Really digging this. Walker's LC and Brison's IF didn't do too well in floppy sales so I'm glad they're tackling other markets. And one day I'm looking to make the switch to only trades and digital so this is cool.
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I don't recognize the writers or artists on those covers? Can anyone tell me about them?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Luke Cage is all but certain to be a digital first. We saw Marvel list three Classified trades for sale. One of them has been updated to reveal that it is Cloak and Dagger. Both Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are 192 pages and all are priced at $20.

I like this idea, but it sounds like it's digital first then floppy then trade. I want to help out my local shop, but I'm not triple dipping and I'm not waiting for the shop to get it.
    After the BS Marvel has dealt with from entitlement fans & comic book stores especially towards POC, Inhuman, LGBT & women lead books.

I don't blame Marvel and could careless about the comic book store.

Sorry but there are consequences to the behavior we have seen-this is one of them.

It gets to a point of if I remove who you think is killing your sales and they don't improve who are you going to blame? Maybe it wasn't those books.

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    Was not expecting the 4th to be the Daughters but considering the team up happening in the shows coming up, it fits.
    So much synergy going on with Luke .

I'm kind of surprised it took them this long to do a Daughter of the Dragons book, although poor Colleen's been in limbo or sporadic appearances for a really long time.

I think this could've been more exciting if these books weren't all from the same corner of the MU. I'm here for Daughters of the Dragon and Luke Cage, just wish we could've gotten something like X-Factor, Miles Morales, She-Hulk, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    After the BS Marvel has dealt with from entitlement fans & comic book stores especially towards POC, Inhuman, LGBT & women lead books.

I don't blame Marvel and could careless about the comic book store.

Sorry but there are consequences to the behavior we have seen-this is one of them.

It gets to a point of if I remove who you think is killing your sales and they don't improve who are you going to blame? Maybe it wasn't those books.
    Fair enough but I come from a different angle:

I followed a new CB store on facebook once ... don't remember how it started, I think the poster was injecting movie opinions and we got to chatting. Months later my "regular" store wasn't caring some issues so I went to this one ... the guy working the counter actually recognized me, we picked up our movie debate, he helped me find a book, and I'm now there weekly and we spend a few minutes comparing notes/opinions. He's won me back to the "good old days" about talking 5 minutes idly about this weeks releases, then heading home in contrast to the sterile online experience ... so frankly I've become invested. So Ill likely wait for the trade as I like physical over digital anyway, and the chances of a comic book being spoiled online is pretty darn slim unless you go hunting for info.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    I think this could've been more exciting if these books weren't all from the same corner of the MU. I'm here for Daughters of the Dragon and Luke Cage, just wish we could've gotten something like X-Factor, Miles Morales, She-Hulk, etc.
    The fact that there still hasn't been a Miles Morales comic announced is weird. He's a pretty notable character, and he's got an animated movie coming out in December. You'd think we'd get something.

Spectacular Member

Definitely understand that sentiment. Though I feel like it makes sense marketing-wise. They're all street-level heroes and Marvel TV properties. So (ideally) there'd be more of a overlap in readership and the line is more cohesive.

Also surprised we haven't heard about a Miles Morales solo. Especially with all the other recent Spider- news.
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    The fact that there still hasn't been a Miles Morales comic announced is weird. He's a pretty notable character, and he's got an animated movie coming out in December. You'd think we'd get something.
    There's a theory that they might actually be holding his book for December to tie-in to the movie, even if that seems like an absurd amount of time to hold off on a solo book for him.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Not surprised at all with the announcements. Daughters Of The Dragon is probably the one I'm looking forward to the most, since it's something new we haven't gotten in a while.

Yeah, I agree. Which is why I'm rooting for and supporting those books. If Marvel sees that it works, then they surely might consider expanding the line.

Yeah, i am hoping this is just them dipping their toe in with something they feel confident will do well in digital, and they may try other characters in the future if it succeeds. I think this would be a great way to do some quirkier off the beaten path stories that likely would not do great on the Diamond charts. I think the digital audience (and people who are more into TPB's than single issues) has a higher ratio of people that care more about just enjoying a good story than if it 'matters' or will be tying into the next big thing.

ps. Jessica Jones has moved up 5 spots on the Comixology Best Seller list from the first day, so it appears it is doing a bit better now that word of it's existence has gotten out
    Last edited by Raye; 07-22-2018 at 01:22 AM.

BANNED

Perhaps this is a trial run for more of this publication method? I loved Kelly Thompson's JJ, and if Iron Fist, Luke Cage + Daughters of the Dragon are on par with that then maybe more series will join them. There are a number of characters it'd work well for, including but not limited to Spider-Woman, She-Hulk, Captain Britain, Silk, Ghost Rider,& Blade. If not ongoing series, then I think this is a great alternative, especially when it comes to promotion of characters appearing elsewhere in terms of sales and promotions for sites like Comixology (thus Cloak & Dagger, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist & Daughters of the Dragon make a lot of sense)

Mighty Member

I'm so on board with all of this.

I've been saying the seasonal model is the way to go for years now. This will make selling the trades SO much easier, as they will be complete stories, and we won't see vol. 1 "Origin", then vol 2 "Event Crossover (that kills all momentum)" and vol 3 "The Premature and Rushed End".

This also will help monthlies potentially. If these traditionally lower selling titles (floppy-wise) aren't taking up a shelf spot, we might move towards fewer monthly books that average larger sales. Marvel needs a lot more books that sell 40,000 copies a month and a lot less books that sell under 20,000 a month. Tightening up the print line might help with that. And those fringe characters move to a space that might be better suited to them, so it's a win win.