Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    Marvel hasn't really focused on "all ages" books in a loooong time (DC too). And even when they did it wasn't quite how we think about them. Nor are their books really not adult fare. Marvel has a pretty wide line of themes and art.
    Marvel used to have tons of books marketed mainstream books for ages 9 and up along with all ages book around the 2000s. And before that (what I'm really talking about) is having most of the books in the main line being suitable for everybody. Sometimes it just feels like they've just given up in terms of creativity and taking several potential audiences for granted. Nobody likes the CCA, but I don't think it can be denied that it kind of forced the companies to be more creative and make better comics in the post-50s more relaxed period.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    It would be nice if Marvel did some crossover content with IDW, given that DC have been doing numerous crossover comics for years now and Marvel hasn’t. A new Star Trek/X-Men mini series would be awesome.
    That would be awesome. IDW's recent crossovers with DC properties have been a loads of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Marvel used to have tons of books marketed mainstream books for ages 9 and up along with all ages book around the 2000s. And before that (what I'm really talking about) is having most of the books in the main line being suitable for everybody. Sometimes it just feels like they've just given up in terms of creativity and taking several potential audiences for granted. Nobody likes the CCA, but I don't think it can be denied that it kind of forced the companies to be more creative and make better comics in the post-50s more relaxed period.
    I dunno. The 90's tried to cater to the mid to late teen audience and speculators with a lot of flashy design and "hard n' gritty" storytelling until the late 90's where it tried to return to a mature but "traditional" approach. Then in the early 2000's, comics was consumed by the concept of realism and spectacle. In the 80's, comics took the trend of "adult" and just ran with it hard by taking comics more seriously. But all during that time each imprint tried to release at least something counter to the bigger sellers of those times. But I wouldn't say that past the 70's has Marvel or DC really tried to have an "all ages" book be the norm, because that would come off as more childish than anything else since it would have to be simple enough for very young readers yet just story oriented enough for older readers.

If anything, Marvel is embracing a more "all ages" concept now than they have in a while by trying out more books like Squirrel Girl or Ms. Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    If anything, Marvel is embracing a more "all ages" concept now than they have in a while by trying out more books like Squirrel Girl or Ms. Marvel.
    Not really. Both of those are terribly written and sell pretty terribly. And both of those titles are rated T+, so...
    Last edited by KurtW95; 07-19-2018 at 12:55 PM.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Not really. Both of those are terribly written and sell just terribly. And both of those titles are rated T+, so...
    The comics are kind of made for kids though, they seem to sort of slap T or T+ to everything it seems. I think it is better that way, allows the authors to go further than they would if they wrote titles at lower ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    The comics are kind of made for kids though, they seem to sort of slap T or T+ to everything it seems. I think it is better that way, allows the authors to go further than they would if they wrote titles at lower ratings.
    Not really though. I'd be hard-pressed to find anything kids would enjoy in either of those titles. And like I said before, constraining thing sometimes produces a better product because the writer is forced to be more creative.

Not really. Both of those are terribly written and sell terribly. And both of those titles are rated T+, so...
    That's kinda the point. Those would be considered all ages books several years ago. All ages book of those times aren't quite what we would think of them today.

Though both sell well in other markets, but you and I have differing opinions about which markets count or are counted.

Though the whole, "Well written" is a lot more subjective than objective.

Not really though. I'd be hard-pressed to find anything kids would enjoy in either of those titles. And like I said before, constraining thing sometimes produces a better product because the writer is forced to be more creative.
    You don't think that maybe you're a little older, a little different including views and tastes, and maybe you just view books released today differently than you might've twenty years ago? Because lord knows books I enjoyed back then and still might enjoy today I wouldn't tolerate if they were released as a new property this year.

Y'know Marvel views Black Panther as a big property when he gets his own solo comic ahead of any of the main Avengers .

I'm kind of surprised there's no Guardians comic. I also guess we're still at a point where Marvel isn't keen on promoting the X-Men and FF to kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Weird that marvel needs IDW to publish this stuff for them.
    I can't say I'm all that surprised.

It's been years since Marvel Adventures was a thing, their tie-in's to cartoons have turned into basically screencaps disguised as comics, and their last explicitly "all-ages" comic was Spidey, and they really didn't seem to know how to market that book.

And IDW has been having a lot of success with doing licensed, all-ages, comics, so I can see where the appeal would be.

Of course, Marvel still has books that are basically for all-ages like Squirrel Girl, Unstoppable Wasp, and Ms. Marvel more or less. Oh, and that Marvel Superhero Adventures book with Jim McCann.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I'm sure Marvel doesn't want to divert its own talent (and not just creative talent but also the marketing personnel that would have to be devoted to these titles) from the full plate of work already at hand or hire additional talent to work on material that can instead be farmed out to another publisher who already has the means in place to take it on.
    Although Peter David, Fred Van Lente, and Jeff Parker did some really great work on the Marvel Adventures line .

I'm curious what creative teams these books will get. Maybe Ian Flynn can finally do some Marvel work ?

I'd love it if Marvel and IDW worked together on a few things. We've already had New Avengers/Transformers, so I don't see why not.

Mainly I'd like to see a ROM Omnibus happen, but if we could have him cross over for something like Annihilators, that would also be great.

Of course I'd also like to see a crossover that gave us more of these lovely things:

Death's_head_takes_down_Cyclonus.jpg

Deaths_Head_from_DWM_Vol_1_135_001.jpg

Death's_head_and_doctor_who.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by milton75 View Post
    I'd love it if Marvel and IDW worked together on a few things. We've already had New Avengers/Transformers, so I don't see why not.
    Oh man, that story .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oh man, that story .

I know, I know!

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Weird that marvel needs IDW to publish this stuff for them.
    Businesses do this sort of thing. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Not when IDW has been making horrible business decisions. But apparently, Marvel thinks it's more important to produce cooking shows than make comics.
    What the what?

Yeah, but a majority of them suck...
    Most of the ones I've read don't.

...and a smarter approach would be to make comics for all ages, like the old days, rather than books that kids and read and stereotypical kids books, with cartoonish art, that adults can't enjoy.
    Cartoonish art can be good. Besides, if everything was "all ages" only, we'd be missing out on some really good stories.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I've been seeing people in other places popping up more and more about a fear of Marvel being sold off.

Like WebLurker said, don't "read much into it." Disney isn't a company that's subtle and Marvel is a big property. If they were looking to sell it they'd be advertising it, not testing the waters with companies not even a fraction as successful as Marvel itself is hoping to conceal their intent. Disney would just one day announce, "We'd like to license out these properties and expect to be 100% out of production by July 2019."

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Y'know Marvel views Black Panther as a big property when he gets his own solo comic ahead of any of the main Avengers .

I'm kind of surprised there's no Guardians comic. I also guess we're still at a point where Marvel isn't keen on promoting the X-Men and FF to kids.

I can't say I'm all that surprised.

It's been years since Marvel Adventures was a thing, their tie-in's to cartoons have turned into basically screencaps disguised as comics, and their last explicitly "all-ages" comic was Spidey, and they really didn't seem to know how to market that book.

And IDW has been having a lot of success with doing licensed, all-ages, comics, so I can see where the appeal would be.

Of course, Marvel still has books that are basically for all-ages like Squirrel Girl, Unstoppable Wasp, and Ms. Marvel more or less. Oh, and that Marvel Superhero Adventures book with Jim McCann.

Although Peter David, Fred Van Lente, and Jeff Parker did some really great work on the Marvel Adventures line .

I'm curious what creative teams these books will get. Maybe Ian Flynn can finally do some Marvel work ?
    Ian Flynn's one of the best writers who hasn't done any big two work, him and James Roberts, maybe he'd like to write guardians when transformers is over.