Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I disagree - yes, it's EASIER to write with less continuity, but a good writer will make good stories with continuity intact.
    And not only that, but some of the greatest runs on a title occur when a writer embraces continuity instead of trying to run away from it. Again, people seem to be forgetting that DC tried to reboot things. IT. DIDN'T. TAKE. And for good reason.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    And not only that, but some of the greatest runs on a title occur when a writer embraces continuity instead of trying to run away from it. Again, people seem to be forgetting that DC tried to reboot things. IT. DIDN'T. TAKE. And for good reason.
    Ah yes, the "debacle" of the New 52, right?

Well, when you try to reboot 50 properties all at once, you probably won't do all that well with it, even if it makes a fortune for you. You won't have time to give it any thought.

This is about rebooting ONE property, with a lot of thought put into it.

Realize here that to resist a reboot of Green Lanterns is to defend a failing property.

It's one thing for a writer to embrace garbage that was printed in the past. He gets paid to do that. It's a very different matter to expect customers to embrace that same garbage when they have to pay for it.

Maybe Grant Morrison will cast some spells and will fix it even while specifying that everything happened, because he's just that wizardly.

We'll see.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-20-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Ah yes, the "debacle" of the New 52, right?

Well, when you try to reboot 50 properties all at once, you probably won't do all that well with it, even if it makes a fortune for you. You won't have time to give it any thought.

This is about rebooting ONE property, with a lot of thought put into it.

Realize here that to resist a reboot of Green Lanterns is to defend a failing property.

It's one thing for a writer to embrace garbage that was printed in the past. He gets paid to do that. It's a very different matter to expect customers to embrace that same garbage when they have to pay for it.

Maybe Grant Morrison will cast some spells and will fix it even while specifying that everything happened, because he's just that wizardly.

We'll see.
    Failing as according to you. GL isn't failing any more than Suicide Squad or Nightwing or even Iron Man and the Hulk. They all are selling around the same level. And, keep in mind, that comic book sales do not reflect the whole viability or even accurately reflect the state of a franchise. Geoff Johns gave us the highest selling and most critically acclaimed run on the title (and this was kind of before he was "the" Geoff Johns) and he didn't shy away from past continuity. In fact, in a lot of cases, he embraced it.

DC's trying to combat falling sales for the title by relaunching the book with a star writer and artist in Morrison and Sharp. That's how you do it. Reboots only cause unnecessary confusion and alienate existing fans who want previous stories that they loved to remain part of canon.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I disagree with the changed beyond recognition bit. Specially at that time, Jordan was a guy who "got what he wanted!!!!". When he didn't, on top of a massive trauma, it seemed pretty logical. Sure, they didn't have to take that direction, they did take a big dump on his fans, and Emerald Twilight was not particularly well written, because it was done so by committee, basically. But up until Zero Hour, Parallaxdidn't feel much different from Jordan, to me, particularly Jordan from the 80's and early 90's.
    Nah. Going rogue would have had a logic to it, certainly...quitting the corps, because what's the point if they won't go all the way. Becoming some other kind of intergalactic interventionist hero, definitely. And over those long black stretches, soaked in those alien societies, the human pieces of him falling away until what was left was something else entirely...

I could have bought that.

But not cracking, not killing all his real, actual friends because of a terrible but relatively (relative to his brothers, friends, family, comrades) abstract loss.

One could imagine a Hal that acted as he did in Emerald Night, that Parallax. But the one from Emerald Twilight through Zero Hour was coocoo for cocopuffs and that was a wildly illogical way to play it (for Hal -- not for the greater designs they had for the 'baggage free' everyman slacker that was the 90s zeitgiest)

BANNED

Hal Jordan - Test Pilot and man without fear, I love.

These other Hal Jordans I love much less so...

Quote Originally Posted by JimmySpectre View Post
    THE GREEN LANTERN Relaunch by GRANT MORRISON & LIAM SHARP focus on HAL JORDAN

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/...as-a-space-cop

Preview :

Hell yeah! (Or is that Hal Yeah) Looking forward to this, although I hope Grant tones down his wackiness a little or Hal will be taking on Tribbles from New Genesis
    I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

Staff writer at www.impulsegamer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post
    Hell yeah! (Or is that Hal Yeah) Looking forward to this, although I hope Grant tones down his wackiness a little or Hal will be taking on Tribbles from New Genesis
    DC actually made merch of that. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

I want this shirt .

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post
    Hal Yeah!

I wonder how DC will promote this, or just the news of Grant Morrison writing is more than enough to cause hype.

I'll probably pick up the first issue, but I do have to say I would be way more excited if it was a Kyle or John book.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

Ha! Double Hal Yeah

I loved how Hal was written in Bendis’ Superman. He was very much a space cop who had to call in to the precinct and take down the perp according to GL procedures. If Grant has this type of thing in mind plus his usual off the wall fun, I’m so down for this.

Spectacular Member DamianWayne1's Avatar

I’m really excited about this; Morrison’s usually awesome and Sharp’s artwork is as beautiful as always! Hal’s in good hands, even if it’s only for 12 issues. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Green Lanterns and where the property heads after Morrison & Sharp conclude their run.
    Top DC: Batman, Wonder Woman, Damian Wayne, Stephanie Brown, Barbara Gordon, Red Hood, Flash (Barry), Supergirl, Black Canary, & Green Arrow
    Top Marvel: Jean Grey, Ms. Marvel, Wolverine, Daredevil, Miles Morales, Jessica Jones, Magneto, Rogue, Storm, & Havok

Incredible Member

This story is going to be a new origin out of continuity, or is Hal finding again a GL dying? Both Hal and the GL have their own rings.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    He's often wrong, and gets many details off. He can be good at getting a general direction that things are going, but I'm going to keep doubting.

Also, that site is just gossipy poison.
    Must be a definition of the word 'often' I was previously unaware of 8-)