Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default THE GREEN LANTERN Relaunch by GRANT MORRISON & LIAM SHARP in November

THE GREEN LANTERN Relaunch by GRANT MORRISON & LIAM SHARP focus on HAL JORDAN

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/...as-a-space-cop

Preview :

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Not too excited about Morrison but that art is beautiful .

Seeing that preview art kinda got me excited for this.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

I was loving the art until that final show of Hal makes him look like he's 7'6".

FINALLY!! I'm just happy to hear what the plans are for Hal. I wasn't sold on Sharp at first - he's not exactly my cup of tea though he's clearly talented, but he does make Hal look great (although his proportions seem quite exaggerated in that full shot above). I'm most intrigued by this comment: "[Hal] has other lives on other planets." I've always wanted the GL book to show more of 2814 and the relationships Hal must have had with some of the other planets/people in his sector. I'm glad to hear the stories are going to be more down-to-earth (so to speak) which is a surprise coming from Morrison. Things have been too "universe-ending" lately to justify using as many GL's as they can cram into a story. This seems like it will be a breath of fresh air in terms of the kinds of stories/adventures Hal will get into. The one thing that's concerning is the question of "Hal is a good cop, but is he a good man?" I am all for showing how the qualities that make him a good GL make him not so great with (some) personal relationships, but there's no question in my mind that he's a good man.

Also interesting that the title appears to be "THE Green Lantern." Makes me wonder if that applies to Hal, or the actual battery? (like "THE badge"...)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-19-2018 at 08:19 AM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I've never been the biggest fan of Morrison's writing, but Sharp's art is some of the best in the industry right now and this sounds like a relatively straightforward story. I like just playing up the "space cop" side of Green Lantern. Let's have a little break from the big cosmic wars for the fate of the universe!

I'm definitely intrigued enough to give it a shot.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I like just playing up the "space cop" side of Green Lantern. Let's have a little break from the big cosmic wars for the fate of the universe!
    I just hope they don't depict the GL rings as being less powerful than they are (which is what happened when they started with the whole "we're just beat cops" approach) - a GL still shouldn't be threatened by guys with guns and they can perform miraculous acts that seem like magic. Some writers have had problems balancing that kind of power and making the stories still relatable, but I hope Morrison finds that sweet spot.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    FINALLY!! I'm just happy to hear what the plans are for Hal. I wasn't sold on Sharp at first - he's not exactly my cup of tea though he's clearly talented, but he does make Hal look great (although his proportions seem quite exaggerated in that full shot above). I'm most intrigued by this comment: "[Hal] has other lives on other planets." I've always wanted the GL book to show more of 2814 and the relationships Hal must have had with some of the other planets/people in his sector. I'm glad to hear the stories are going to be more down-to-earth (so to speak) which is a surprise coming from Morrison. Things have been too "universe-ending" lately to justify using as many GL's as they can cram into a story. This seems like it will be a breath of fresh air in terms of the kinds of stories/adventures Hal will get into. The one thing that's concerning is the question of "Hal is a good cop, but is he a good man?" I am all for showing how the qualities that make him a good GL make him not so great with (some) personal relationships, but there's no question in my mind that he's a good man.

Also interesting that the title appears to be "THE Green Lantern." Makes me wonder if that applies to Hal, or the actual battery? (like "THE badge"...)
    Quoted for truth!

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I just hope they don't depict the GL rings as being less powerful than they are (which is what happened when they started with the whole "we're just beat cops" approach) - a GL still shouldn't be threatened by guys with guns and they can perform miraculous acts that seem like magic. Some writers have had problems balancing that kind of power and making the stories still relatable, but I hope Morrison finds that sweet spot.
    That IS true. Ordinary law enforcement should be able to handle even the sci-fi equivalent of "thugs with guns." GL's should be going up against intergalactic crime lords with resources and weapons sufficient to make them virtually an empire in their own right. They should be busting up pirate fleets that can prey on local shipping with impunity. They should be the cops that cops call when they can't handle a situation.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Hal's nephews pretty much echo my sentiments towards the announcement.

BANNED

I thought Morrison would do something different, something that we haven't seen. But this looks exactly like what Geoff Johns would write.

Well, it's Grant Morrison, so people will buy it. But then what?

BANNED

The property is floundering. You can't fix that by saying, "I'll come in and write the same thing except better for twelve issues."

Trey, as usual, you're overthinking things man. Let's see what happens first. I haven't been a Morrison fan for a while but let's see what the man does. Sharp on pencils is my main draw.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It seems to me like the opposite of what Johns went for and as a consequence I am excited to buy Hal Jordan for the first time in my life. Although Earth One is still kinda tempting.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Trey, as usual, you're overthinking things man. Let's see what happens first. I haven't been a Morrison fan for a while but let's see what the man does. Sharp on pencils is my main draw.
    He's not changing the set-up. That's what you have to do in a relaunch. He's making it all about Hal, which has flopped.

Well, maybe it needs to flop one more time before DC finally admits that some fundamental changes are necessary.

BANNED

This sounds more like a reboot than a relaunch...

I'll be checking it out never the less.