Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    However, I'm not sure that putting Morrison on GL is necessarily DC still trying to make GL a superstar. Could be they were just trying to find a way to change it up a bit. Regardless of what previews and interviews we've seen, we should hold judgment after we start/finish reading it, imo.
    I know Morrison's the reason I'm going to be trying this book out. I haven't read GL regularly since Kyle first started, but Morrison can be a good way to get non-GL readers trying the book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    Ahh. I do agree. I was never sure why they tried to push him so hard when they already had the "Trinity". I mean, I get the congruence of Johns's run and the movie, etc. But yeah, 2nd-, 3rd-, etc tier characters can be successfully marketed a certain way w/o being forced to be perceived as a 1st-tier character (see MCU Phase 3, Teen Titans' success off the big screen, Arrowverse, Deadpool, etc).

However, I'm not sure that putting Morrison on GL is necessarily DC still trying to make GL a superstar. Could be they were just trying to find a way to change it up a bit. Regardless of what previews and interviews we've seen, we should hold judgment after we start/finish reading it, imo.
    You're right. But I wish they were changing it up a lot more than a bit. This looks like a lost opportunity to me. It looks like just more tinkering when they really need a new car. The one they're trying to fix is a total loss.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Excited. People thinking this is going to be a straight forward story all 12 issues or however long it runs must really not know Morrison.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    DC needs to recognize two things about Green Lantern.

First, the company has two superstar characters. They are Batman and Superman. Hal will never break into that echelon, no matter how long and hard DC pushes him.

And second, Baz and Cruz as Green Lanterns were a mistake, and DC needs to find other roles for them.

Acknowledge this, and the property's problems can be solved.
    Okay, I'll bite. How exactly would DC ceases to push Hal solve the property's problems?

Yes, Johns does love saving the universe every three months. But this is just a maxi-series, so the scope of the story isn't that big of a deal.

Beyond that, this is Hal and Pals again.

Maybe it'll work this time.
    No, the scope of the story is exactly what matters if you are making the claim this is something Johns would write. All this is about for you is that fact that Hal is the center character. It's a nonsense argument. Hal's presence doesn't make it just like Johns's writing no matter how much you want to try an make that claim.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

BANNED

I like the art, but I'm not a big fan of Morrison and his work.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Okay, I'll bite. How exactly would DC ceases to push Hal solve the property's problems?

No, the scope of the story is exactly what matters if you are making the claim this is something Johns would write. All this is about for you is that fact that Hal is the center character. It's a nonsense argument. Hal's presence doesn't make it just like Johns's writing no matter how much you want to try an make that claim.
    Re Hal: They shouldn't push one Lantern as being "all that," and then be shocked when the other Lanterns can't sell comics. Why have they not figured that out to this day?

Re the scope of the story: If you think that Hal in a smaller-scale space story than Johns would be likely to write is a departure, then that's fine. I'm not going to contemplate that and say, "Cool! So this is why Morrison was brought on board!"

Astonishing Member

it's even better than it looks/sounds here, you guys.

get excited.

I stopped reading Green Lantern cause I was tired of the constant wars and rebellions and secrets of the universe. This premise sounds like the type of book I always wanted to read. And Liam's pencils just seals the deal.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Finally. I cannot wait for this.

Pissed it's only 12 issues...but so was All Star. So that isn't too much of an issue.

The property is floundering. You can't fix that by saying, "I'll come in and write the same thing except better for twelve issues."
    He's not writing the same thing though. It was pointed out in this very interview that Johns wrote more grounded stories before going into epic space opera. If Morrison is being as straightforward as he claims, this will not be going in the same direction.

if it inevitably gets crazier, because Morrison, it won't be executed in the same way because Morrison and Johns are very different writers.

I'm surprised that Morrison is even writing Hal, given what he's said about the character in the past. But if he's going to do that, then why not put Hal on Earth instead of in space, which is where Johns and Venditti have kept him for God knows how many years?
    Morrison has said other things about Hal since then. He said the Geoff Johns run in particular made him like the character.

This has been pointed out to you numerous times. You shouldn't be surprised Morrison is writing Hal.

Don't know how this will turn out, but it sucks that this makes it more likely the other potential new writing teams Rich has been blabbing will happen. So help me, I do not want Walker replacing Williamson and DeConnick replacing Abnett.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Sounds good can’t wait for this.

He's not changing the set-up.That's what you have to do in a relaunch.

The set-up is Hal being back on Earth, which hasn't been the case for about 7 years. There's a reason fans have been clamoring to see the character back on Earth after all the rainbow wars. Keeping Hal in deep space is what wouldn't be changing the set-up.

He's making it all about Hal, which has flopped.
    Johns' run was all about Hal and it was the most successful time in the history of the series. It ran out of steam because he relied on intergalactic light shows way too much. It's not a coincidence that Johns' earlier work on GL between Rebirth and Sinestro Corps War was the most acclaimed portion of his run. It focused both on Hal Jordan the space cop and Hal Jordan the man. Fans have been missing to read about Hal Jordan the man, so this title's setting is more than welcome in my book.

I don't mean to change Hal fundamentally. I mean to stop fantasizing that they're finally going to get him over as a superstar.
    I don't see how making a Hal-focused GL title is trying to put him on a Batman level. Hal will never be on the Trinity's level of popularity, but he's damn sure on the level of every other big-time Leaguer. Should Barry and Arthur stop having solo titles that's all about them as well.

Mighty Member

Re Hal: They shouldn't push one Lantern as being "all that," and then be shocked when the other Lanterns can't sell comics. Why have they not figured that out to this day?
    So you're argument is they should stop pushing the Lantern who can sell comics so that maybe other Lanterns will have better sales? That makes no sense (and it assumes Green Lanterns is a failure, which I would not agree with).

Re the scope of the story: If you think that Hal in a smaller-scale space story than Johns would be likely to write is a departure, then that's fine. I'm not going to contemplate that and say, "Cool! So this is why Morrison was brought on board!"
    It is a departure. The central character being the same doesn't prevent it from being so. You wouldn't say Scott Snyder's Batman run was in the same vein as Grant Morrison's even though they both center around Bruce Wayne. Because that would be ridiculous. The styles and types of stories being told are completely different.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    FINALLY!! I'm just happy to hear what the plans are for Hal. I wasn't sold on Sharp at first - he's not exactly my cup of tea though he's clearly talented, but he does make Hal look great (although his proportions seem quite exaggerated in that full shot above). I'm most intrigued by this comment: "[Hal] has other lives on other planets." I've always wanted the GL book to show more of 2814 and the relationships Hal must have had with some of the other planets/people in his sector. I'm glad to hear the stories are going to be more down-to-earth (so to speak) which is a surprise coming from Morrison. Things have been too "universe-ending" lately to justify using as many GL's as they can cram into a story. This seems like it will be a breath of fresh air in terms of the kinds of stories/adventures Hal will get into. The one thing that's concerning is the question of "Hal is a good cop, but is he a good man?" I am all for showing how the qualities that make him a good GL make him not so great with (some) personal relationships, but there's no question in my mind that he's a good man.
    Yeah, that's the only part I wasn't a big fan of. Hal doesn't need to prove yet again that he's a good man, he's done so more times than he's saved the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Also interesting that the title appears to be "THE Green Lantern." Makes me wonder if that applies to Hal, or the actual battery? (like "THE badge"...)
    I didn't think about the badge, that's a very good point. Though considering DC did a book called "Hal Jordan and the GLC", then "THE Green Lantern" could certainly be a reference to Hal being the iconic Lantern or whatever. lol

Abin Sur, what have they done to you?!?

Seriously though, this looks amazing! Looks like I'll be picking up my first regular DC book since JL3001 ended.