Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

You know, Morrison is kind of hit or miss for me (Full disclosure, I don't like All-Star Superman), but this seems much more more interesting than I was expected. After so many space operas, seeing Green Lantern more centered on police work in space could be very interesting. Oh, and the Liam Sharp art looks beautiful as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I thought Morrison would do something different, something that we haven't seen. But this looks exactly like what Geoff Johns would write.

Well, it's Grant Morrison, so people will buy it. But then what?
    Uh, no. This is nothing like what Johns would do. Johns did big epic space operas about war between all these different factions. End of the universe was constantly overhead. This is being sold as something much small-scale and more intimate. The only similarity is that this also features Hal.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Sounds great. I guess this means that Jurgens will be making Green Lanterns the defacto team book and focus on the other GLs while Morrison does an intimate character piece on Hal Jordan, space cop of Sector 2814. Now I understand what Bendis was doing with Hal in Man of Steel. He clearly had the inside track on what Morrison had planned.

BANNED

DC needs to recognize two things about Green Lantern.

First, the company has two superstar characters. They are Batman and Superman. Hal will never break into that echelon, no matter how long and hard DC pushes him.

And second, Baz and Cruz as Green Lanterns were a mistake, and DC needs to find other roles for them.

Acknowledge this, and the property's problems can be solved.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Maybe I'll read in trade, just b/c Morrison. But Hal Jordan has never interested me.

He's not changing the set-up. That's what you have to do in a relaunch. He's making it all about Hal, which has flopped.

Well, maybe it needs to flop one more time before DC finally admits that some fundamental changes are necessary.
    What fundamental changes? To his personality? Origin story? Neither seem really broken.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

Uh, no. This is nothing like what Johns would do. Johns did big epic space operas about war between all these different factions. End of the universe was constantly overhead. This is being sold as something much small-scale and more intimate. The only similarity is that this also features Hal.
    Yes, Johns does love saving the universe every three months. But this is just a maxi-series, so the scope of the story isn't that big of a deal.

Beyond that, this is Hal and Pals again.

Maybe it'll work this time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    What fundamental changes? To his personality? Origin story? Neither seem really broken.
    I don't mean to change Hal fundamentally. I mean to stop fantasizing that they're finally going to get him over as a superstar.

I thought Morrison would do something different, something that we haven't seen. But this looks exactly like what Geoff Johns would write.

Well, it's Grant Morrison, so people will buy it. But then what?
    Morrison said that that's how Johns started the book, which is true, but it quickly became all about the Rainbow Corps, which will not be showing up. Morrison will also not focus on the other earth lanterns, which is what Johns did by bringing them all back with Hal. Morrison also literally said he's doing things with Hal that haven't been done before. Don't blame Morrison for your lack of imagination. Let's see where he takes this - it's only been one article, as much as fandom loves to jump to conclusions, let's at least see the comic before dismissing the whole thing. It's like saying, "Oh, it's about a space cop with a power ring? Been there, done that - nothing new here."

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Bleedingcool is on a roll. I'm guessing the other rumors are true.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Morrison said that that's how Johns started the book, which is true, but it quickly became all about the Rainbow Corps, which will not be showing up. Morrison will also not focus on the other earth lanterns, which is what Johns did by bringing them all back with Hal. Morrison also literally said he's doing things with Hal that haven't been done before. Don't blame Morrison for your lack of imagination. Let's see where he takes this - it's only been one article, as much as fandom loves to jump to conclusions, let's at least see the comic before dismissing the whole thing. It's like saying, "Oh, it's about a space cop with a power ring? Been there, done that - nothing new here."
    I'm surprised that Morrison is even writing Hal, given what he's said about the character in the past. But if he's going to do that, then why not put Hal on Earth instead of in space, which is where Johns and Venditti have kept him for God knows how many years?

That would have been something different. A space adventure on a smaller scale that once again tries to break Hal out as a franchise character is a very minor difference.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-19-2018 at 09:23 AM.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

I don't mean to change Hal fundamentally. I mean to stop fantasizing that they're finally going to get him over as a superstar.
    Ahh. I do agree. I was never sure why they tried to push him so hard when they already had the "Trinity". I mean, I get the congruence of Johns's run and the movie, etc. But yeah, 2nd-, 3rd-, etc tier characters can be successfully marketed a certain way w/o being forced to be perceived as a 1st-tier character (see MCU Phase 3, Teen Titans' success off the big screen, Arrowverse, Deadpool, etc).

However, I'm not sure that putting Morrison on GL is necessarily DC still trying to make GL a superstar. Could be they were just trying to find a way to change it up a bit. Regardless of what previews and interviews we've seen, we should hold judgment after we start/finish reading it, imo.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Looks good. With green lanterns to focus on the corps hals book will be him im game
    X-Men Forever

No way they'll have Green Lanterns and Green Lantern. An S being the only name difference is too confusing. It'll either be renamed or cancelled.

THE Green Lantern? I know John changed colour in Justice League, but what about the rest of the Corps?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    However, I'm not sure that putting Morrison on GL is necessarily DC still trying to make GL a superstar.
    It's a solo title and DC will want to push any of their titles to garner sales. I would say putting someone high-profile like Morrison on it means that there's a certain prestige or fanbase for the character, but promoting a new title doesn't equal "trying to make them on the same level as Superman and Batman." Having a smaller scope as this series seems to be is almost the opposite of that.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Words can't describe how excited I am for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    No way they'll have Green Lanterns and Green Lantern. An S being the only name difference is too confusing. It'll either be renamed or cancelled.

THE Green Lantern? I know John changed colour in Justice League, but what about the rest of the Corps?
    How do you know that the "Green Lantern" referred to in the title isn't the lantern itself?