Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I hate the guy since the 80's, but back then I was the exception big time. I believe the fanbase really fragmented in the early 2000's: even in the 90's, when Hal was a villain, you wouldn't see much if any hate geared towards him.
    The only type of hate was coming from his fans and was geared towards the editorial that made him that way. Those who previously didn't like the character had no reason to hate him anymore since the people in charge seemed to share their sentiments. Not only was he no longer "in the way", but he was changed beyond recognition. They could not take a bigger dump on the character if they tried.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    It was when he came back, and, I think, Kyle fans resented Jordan because of Rayner taking a backseat, and fans coming from the JL cartoon who barely knew about the guy got unhappy that John wasn't such a big deal in the comic, that all these people started to appear to keep me company. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Well of course, because he was "in the way" again. Whoever serves as the "point man" of a legacy franchise is bound to get the same reactions. Kyle did take some getting used to initially and John got similar reactions from Hal and Kyle fans when both were shafted for his sake on the show. Hal has been in that position longer than any of the other Lanterns, hence the hate for him seems to be more continuous. The longer he stays where he's at, those types of reactions will remain the same. It's not like the people who don't like him would suddenly change their mind about him, regardless of who writes him or in what capacity. As long as Hal has a prominent presence in the DCU, his naysayers would just keep frothing at the mouth. And that's fine, it's been amusing if nothing else.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-20-2018 at 01:38 AM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    The only type of hate was coming from his fans and was geared towards the editorial that made him that way. Those who previously didn't like the character had no reason to hate him anymore since the people in charge seemed to share their sentiments. Not only was he no longer "in the way", but he was changed beyond recognition. They could not take a bigger dump on the character if they tried.
    I disagree with the changed beyond recognition bit. Specially at that time, Jordan was a guy who "got what he wanted!!!!". When he didn't, on top of a massive trauma, it seemed pretty logical. Sure, they didn't have to take that direction, they did take a big dump on his fans, and Emerald Twilight was not particularly well written, because it was done so by committee, basically. But up until Zero Hour, Parallaxdidn't feel much different from Jordan, to me, particularly Jordan from the 80's and early 90's.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

BANNED

As long as Hal has a prominent presence in the DCU, his naysayers would just keep frothing at the mouth. And that's fine, it's been amusing if nothing else.
    I don't think a lot of people hate Hal, and I'm sure DC is not amused by Green Lantern's poor sales.

The problem is that Hal just doesn't set the woods on fire the way DC thinks he should.

If as Frontier said, DC is "trying to reposition Hal as important to the GL franchise," isn't that what they've been attempting since 2004? They just tried out a comic with his name on the cover that didn't well, and before that they tried to make him the centerpiece of three comics that didn't sell well either. I'm sure that shocked them.

So now Grant Morrison will try to fix the problem by wring Hal better.

But here's a thought. Maybe they should just stop designating Hal as the big cheese.

Maybe they should stop alienating readers who like the other Lanterns by saying to them, "Not that one, you fool! It's this one over here!

If someone wants to buy one of your products, then shut up and let him buy it.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I don't think a lot of people hate Hal, and I'm sure DC is not amused by Green Lantern's poor sales.

The problem is that Hal just doesn't set the woods on fire the way DC thinks he should.

If as Frontier said, DC is "trying to reposition Hal as important to the GL franchise," isn't that what they've been attempting since 2004? They just tried out a comic with his name on the cover that didn't well, and before that they tried to make him the centerpiece of three comics that didn't sell well either. I'm sure that shocked them.
    Kinda.

They went a little overboard with it. Once Johns name was no longer attached, they had to balance things out a bit. Even Hal Jordan and the GLC was very, very tame ion Jordan-Lovefest. (It had some of the mopst annoying solicits ever, though)

So now Grant Morrison will try to fix the problem by wring Hal better.
    He may succeed. He is Grant Morrison, after all. Real problem is, after he leaves, assuming he can turn around naysayers like me without alienating longtime fans, will later writers be able to keep up? Morrison's stuff tendd to not hold very well when he leaves a title.

But here's a thought. Maybe they should just stop designating Hal as the big cheese.

Maybe they should stop alienating readers who like the other Lanterns by saying to them, "Not that one, you fool! It's this one over here!

If someone wants to buy one of your products, then shut up and let him buy it.
    Not gonna happen. Jordan is an editorial darling to the current regime, plus, whetter we like it or not (I don't) he is the most popular one among comics readers, plus plus, if he's kicked to the side the backlash will be enormous and never ending. It already was in pre-internet 90's, now it would be worse. And the last thing DC needs right now is another Wally West situation.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

They must be terrified about Jessica and Simon's sales then, who they arguably pushed harder than Hal in Rebirth.

I will reiterate what I mentioned previously, the notion that Hal doesn't sell makes no sense in a post-Johns era. The only thing that matters is how they write him. If Morrison's book doesn't sell, is it going to be because of Hal or because of fans not liking what he's doing. Morrison wrote Action Comics in the New 52, was it underwhelming because of Clark or because Morrison didn't do a good job with the character at that time.

If they don't treat Hal that way, they would just put someone else in his place. This franchise, for better or worse, has never been about equality, it's always been about one main guy and other supporting players. The DCAU almost entirely abandoned that aspect since it was much easier to focus on one character than telling viewers that Green Lantern is actually a bunch of different people.

BANNED

I will reiterate what I mentioned previously, the notion that Hal doesn't sell makes no sense in a post-Johns era. The only thing that matters is how they write him. If Morrison's book doesn't sell, is it going to be because of Hal or because of fans not liking what he's doing. Morrison wrote Action Comics in the New 52, was it underwhelming because of Clark or because Morrison didn't do a good job with the character at that time.
    Yet Hal isn't selling!

Grant Morrison can sell a comic. But watch what happens after he leaves.

If Hal needs someone like Morrison to write him before he can sell, then maybe the character the problem.

If they don't treat Hal that way, they would just put someone else in his place. This franchise, for better or worse, has never been about equality, it's always been about one main guy and other supporting players. The DCAU almost entirely abandoned that aspect since it was much easier to focus on one character than telling viewers that Green Lantern is actually a bunch of different people.
    But that approach is exactly what's wrong. None of the Lanterns can be "all that."

Yet Hal isn't selling!

Grant Morrison can sell a comic. But watch what happens after he leaves.

If Hal needs someone like Morrison to write him before he can sell, then maybe the character the problem.
    So if Williamson leaves Flash and the sales subsequently start dropping, is it going to be because of Barry or because the fans may not like the new direction? The Flash sales prior to Barry's return were lower as well, did that indicate that people didn't like Wally anymore or they didn't seem to enjoy the Flash book at the time very much? It's nonsensical to put the blame on characters that have proven to be in demand before.

The main reasons the GL sales dropped after Johns left, and even before he left, was the oversaturation of his concepts, the fact that Johns' run had a definitive ending(I still hear from people saying they don't read GL anymore because the Johns run had an actual ending and they felt there was no need to keep reading) and Venditti's New 52 run being as subpar as it was.

But that approach is exactly what's wrong. None of the Lanterns can be "all that."
    I agree, but that's the precedent they set for this series. These characters will never be treated as equals, despite that in a perfect world they should be.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-20-2018 at 05:54 AM.

Folks need to stop doubting Rich Johnston and Bleeding Cool. He scoops everyone, always, and he is very, very rarely wrong.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

I normally don’t have any interest in Green Lantern. Not saying I hate them, but it’s just not something I normally gravitate to (except for New Frontier). That being said, the master of Capes, Grant Morrison, is attracted to this, which means it’s a must buy for me. I’m sure it’ll be great.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

BANNED

I agree, but that's the precedent they set for this series. These characters will never be treated as equals, despite that in a perfect world they should be.
    That's why it needs a reboot instead of more tinkering.

But more tinkering is what they're going to do.

At a certain point, you have to admit that your car is too old and that you've wrecked too many times for you to keep tinkering with it. No matter who your mechanic is, you just need a new car.

DC isn't there yet, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-20-2018 at 05:38 AM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Folks need to stop doubting Rich Johnston and Bleeding Cool. He scoops everyone, always, and he is very, very rarely wrong.
    He's often wrong, and gets many details off. He can be good at getting a general direction that things are going, but I'm going to keep doubting.

Also, that site is just gossipy poison.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Morrison? I'm in.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    He's often wrong, and gets many details off. He can be good at getting a general direction that things are going, but I'm going to keep doubting.

Also, that site is just gossipy poison.
    In my experience he’s right a lot more than wrong. Like 80/20 in favor of being correct.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

BANNED

art looks to me like old toast... overaught emotional dribble done over and over and over again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    In my experience he’s right a lot more than wrong. Like 80/20 in favor of being correct.
    It's clear that he has a high-up source or two.