Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Spectacular Member

Default THE GREEN LANTERN Relaunch by GRANT MORRISON & LIAM SHARP in November

THE GREEN LANTERN Relaunch by GRANT MORRISON & LIAM SHARP focus on HAL JORDAN

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/...as-a-space-cop

Preview :

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Not too excited about Morrison but that art is beautiful .

Seeing that preview art kinda got me excited for this.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

I was loving the art until that final show of Hal makes him look like he's 7'6".

FINALLY!! I'm just happy to hear what the plans are for Hal. I wasn't sold on Sharp at first - he's not exactly my cup of tea though he's clearly talented, but he does make Hal look great (although his proportions seem quite exaggerated in that full shot above). I'm most intrigued by this comment: "[Hal] has other lives on other planets." I've always wanted the GL book to show more of 2814 and the relationships Hal must have had with some of the other planets/people in his sector. I'm glad to hear the stories are going to be more down-to-earth (so to speak) which is a surprise coming from Morrison. Things have been too "universe-ending" lately to justify using as many GL's as they can cram into a story. This seems like it will be a breath of fresh air in terms of the kinds of stories/adventures Hal will get into. The one thing that's concerning is the question of "Hal is a good cop, but is he a good man?" I am all for showing how the qualities that make him a good GL make him not so great with (some) personal relationships, but there's no question in my mind that he's a good man.

Also interesting that the title appears to be "THE Green Lantern." Makes me wonder if that applies to Hal, or the actual battery? (like "THE badge"...)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-19-2018 at 08:19 AM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I've never been the biggest fan of Morrison's writing, but Sharp's art is some of the best in the industry right now and this sounds like a relatively straightforward story. I like just playing up the "space cop" side of Green Lantern. Let's have a little break from the big cosmic wars for the fate of the universe!

I'm definitely intrigued enough to give it a shot.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I like just playing up the "space cop" side of Green Lantern. Let's have a little break from the big cosmic wars for the fate of the universe!
    I just hope they don't depict the GL rings as being less powerful than they are (which is what happened when they started with the whole "we're just beat cops" approach) - a GL still shouldn't be threatened by guys with guns and they can perform miraculous acts that seem like magic. Some writers have had problems balancing that kind of power and making the stories still relatable, but I hope Morrison finds that sweet spot.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I just hope they don't depict the GL rings as being less powerful than they are (which is what happened when they started with the whole "we're just beat cops" approach) - a GL still shouldn't be threatened by guys with guns and they can perform miraculous acts that seem like magic. Some writers have had problems balancing that kind of power and making the stories still relatable, but I hope Morrison finds that sweet spot.
    That IS true. Ordinary law enforcement should be able to handle even the sci-fi equivalent of "thugs with guns." GL's should be going up against intergalactic crime lords with resources and weapons sufficient to make them virtually an empire in their own right. They should be busting up pirate fleets that can prey on local shipping with impunity. They should be the cops that cops call when they can't handle a situation.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Hal's nephews pretty much echo my sentiments towards the announcement.

Extraordinary Member

FINALLY!! I'm just happy to hear what the plans are for Hal. I wasn't sold on Sharp at first - he's not exactly my cup of tea though he's clearly talented, but he does make Hal look great (although his proportions seem quite exaggerated in that full shot above). I'm most intrigued by this comment: "[Hal] has other lives on other planets." I've always wanted the GL book to show more of 2814 and the relationships Hal must have had with some of the other planets/people in his sector. I'm glad to hear the stories are going to be more down-to-earth (so to speak) which is a surprise coming from Morrison. Things have been too "universe-ending" lately to justify using as many GL's as they can cram into a story. This seems like it will be a breath of fresh air in terms of the kinds of stories/adventures Hal will get into. The one thing that's concerning is the question of "Hal is a good cop, but is he a good man?" I am all for showing how the qualities that make him a good GL make him not so great with (some) personal relationships, but there's no question in my mind that he's a good man.

Also interesting that the title appears to be "THE Green Lantern." Makes me wonder if that applies to Hal, or the actual battery? (like "THE badge"...)
    Quoted for truth!

Yeah, that's the only part I wasn't a big fan of. Hal doesn't need to prove yet again that he's a good man, he's done so more times than he's saved the universe.

I didn't think about the badge, that's a very good point. Though considering DC did a book called "Hal Jordan and the GLC", then "THE Green Lantern" could certainly be a reference to Hal being the iconic Lantern or whatever. lol

Abin Sur, what have they done to you?!?

Seriously though, this looks amazing! Looks like I'll be picking up my first regular DC book since JL3001 ended.

Well, Bleeding Cool has had this pegged for a while, so nice to have the announcement finally out of the way .

On the positive side, I'm glad to have Hal back on Earth and a re-focus on grounded, space cop, stories. I've missed that ever since the line became more about event after event and had Hal stuck in space indefinitely. Although Morrison makes it sound like Hal doesn't want to be on Earth anymore, which kind of seems wrong to me .

I hope Morrison makes good use of Hal's Earth supporting cast and Rogues. We've been due Carol being brought back in a major role for a while now.

I am kind of surprised that Morrison isn't starting out with a big, sprawling, space opera story for his run, but maybe that's coming as he gets into it.

Liam Sharp's art actually looks like a better fit for Green Lantern then I was expecting .

Although "The Green Lantern" is a weird title.

So I guess Hal is investigating a crashed GL as a deliberate mirror to what happened to Abin Sur. Although is he using that dead GL's Lantern? That seems kind of in bad taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, Bleeding Cool has had this pegged for a while, so nice to have the announcement finally out of the way .
    Who was is who was saying that Hal's series was going to be about investigating how the multiverse is dying? (because this series definitely doesn't seem to be that) I don't remember...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    On the positive side, I'm glad to have Hal back on Earth and a re-focus on grounded, space cop, stories. I've missed that ever since the line became more about event after event and had Hal stuck in space indefinitely. Although Morrison makes it sound like Hal doesn't want to be on Earth anymore, which kind of seems wrong to me .
    This part got me thinking. Fans have been complaining for years about Hal being stuck in space forever, but the thing is, would Hal himself miss being back on Earth? When he's ring-slinging in space, he's useful, he does his job well, he always helps everywhere he goes and the nature of his job definitely adds to his adventurous spirit. Comparatively, whenever he is back on Earth, there's always emphasis on the notion that he never has his act together, or that he's "ineffective" like Morrison mentions in the interview. That he can't hold a steady job or a relationship, that he has no clue how to properly balance his life, that he only ends up hurting people close to him. Hal has always been better at handling apocalyptic scenarios than everyday life. The former is his forte, the latter can be a nightmare to him. If we look at Morrison's statement based on what we know about Hal as character, would he really want to be stuck on Earth for too long? I mean, he would want to see his family or Carol again obviously, but I doubt he would want to be back on a more permanent basis.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Despite being a fan of the property, I haven't read Green Lantern since Blackest Night totally spoiled any and all interest I had but I'm down for this. Morrison is my favourite superhero writer and the art looks great. It is interesting that of all writer's Morrison is doing an intimate take on Green Lantern when he is known for truly epic storytelling and coming up with more ideas than can fit on a single page.

As for Green Lanterns, just rename it Green Lantern Corps and leave it at that.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.