Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Please re-read what I said. I said sales started dipping during Winnick’s run after putting Terry at the forefront (basically after The Hate Crime) which they did. Sales only picked back up for a little bit when everyone started wondering how Winnick was going to end his run/leave Kyle and stayed to see what Raab was going to do after Winnick. Then sales started dipping AGAIN with Kyle in space during Raab’s run and sales got even worse when DC announced Rebirth and the rest of Raab’s run was looked at as filler by fans.

The book was basically in flux sales wise after the whole Terry thing.
    Hate crime WAS the last time Terry was at the forefront. After that his role in the books was dialed down a bit. Mainly because Kyle was doing more space stuff and John was being built up as the new Earth Lantern (passing the torch). The numbers dipped AFTER he was no longer showing up as much. Sales didn't pick up because fans wanted to see how Winick was going end things either. Black Circle was a Green Arrow crossover, which brought up the numbers. If you look at the post I made, Winnick's run averaged 36k and peaked with Hate Crime and settled back to 36K after. 150-155 also had Jim Lee on covers, which helped boost numbers for that initial peak leading and with the terry story.

My main point is that Winnick's run had consistent numbers and a pretty huge peak. It was NEVER a poor seller. Raab on the book did kill all of that momentum and in a HUGE way. As for Rebirth, it wasn't announced until the ending of Raab's run. When Marz's final run started sales actually rose back up to the mid 30's ending at 41k.

In short. There was no Flux. Consistent 36k with a spike of 41k when Lee came on for covers and the back to 36k before shooting up for a crossover.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    Hate crime WAS the last time Terry was at the forefront. After that his role in the books was dialed down a bit. Mainly because Kyle was doing more space stuff and John was being built up as the new Earth Lantern (passing the torch). The numbers dipped AFTER he was no longer showing up as much. Sales didn't pick up because fans wanted to see how Winick was going end things either. Black Circle was a Green Arrow crossover, which brought up the numbers. If you look at the post I made, Winnick's run averaged 36k and peaked with Hate Crime and settled back to 36K after. 150-155 also had Jim Lee on covers, which helped boost numbers for that initial peak leading and with the terry story.

My main point is that Winnick's run had consistent numbers and a pretty huge peak. It was NEVER a poor seller. Raab on the book did kill all of that momentum and in a HUGE way. As for Rebirth, it wasn't announced until the ending of Raab's run. When Marz's final run started sales actually rose back up to the mid 30's ending at 41k.

In short. There was no Flux. Consistent 36k with a spike of 41k when Lee came on for covers and the back to 36k before shooting up for a crossover.
    I think the numbers rose for Marz because it was announced that his eight issues or so would end Kyle's run, so a lot of people wanted to buy those.

If Johns hadn't intervened and stopped Winick from writing the return of the GLC in #150, then the sales would have taken a huge leap right there and would have stayed high until Johns took over two and a half years later. Instead, we got an an awful rush-job story in #150 by Winick in which it was revealed that Kyle's father was a Latino. As if that were a big deal. People on the message boards generally ridiculed it.

In Raab's defense, I've heard that his stories were pretty much dictated to him by higher-ups.

BTW, Marz came up with the idea for the Terry Berg character, but Winick wrote the first story about him.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 08-02-2018 at 08:46 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    Gonna jump around a bit, but here's what Comichron has to say about that.

#119 - 44,309
    #122 - 41,033
    #124 - 39,859
    #125 - 39,775 (Ron Marz Final)
    #127 - 38,941

Pre-Winnick

#129 - 37,648 (Winnick's first and Terry Bergs First Appearance)
    #130 - 36,784
    #137 - 36,088
    #144 - 35,894
    #150 - 41,082
    #154 - 41,107 (Hate Crime)
    #155 - 41,738 (pt2)
    #156 - 41,577
    #157 - 40,625
    #160 - 36,641
    #161 - 36,160
    #162 - 45,345
    #163 - 44,593
    #164 - 44,058 (Winick's Final)

Post - Winnick

#165 - 44,058 (Ben Raab first)
    #170 - 32,681
    #175 - 29,780 (Raab Final)

Yeah so uh... no. Sales initially dipped when Marz left and gradually went up during Winnick's run. Actually doing VERY well while Terry was the spotlight. It wasn't until he left that Ben Raab sunk the book from a hi-30's/mid-40's title, into the low-30's. The things people were complaining about on forums, do not match up with the numbers.
    The sales spiked with #150 but then drifted back down. Whether that was because of Hate Crime, people's disappointment with #150, neither, or both, who knows?

The second spike, at the end of Winick's run and the beginning of Raab's run, was caused by a crossover with Green Arrow, which believe it or not was very popular then because of Kevin Smith.

And the sales for Raab's last issue don't look so bad compared to the most recent numbers for HJ&TGLC: 29,780 vs 27,825.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 08-02-2018 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    The sales spiked with #150 but then drifted back down. Whether that was because of Hate Crime, people's disappointment with #150, neither, or both, who knows?

The second spike, at the end of Winick's run and the beginning of Raab's run, was caused by a crossover with Green Arrow, which believe it or not was very popular then because of Kevin Smith.

And the sales for Raab's last issue don't look so bad compared to the most recent numbers for HJ&TGLC: 29,780 vs 27,825.
    #150-155 had Jim Lee on cover duties and the NEW dog collar costume. Which no doubt helped bump sales. Everyone was talking about the Jim Lee covers on DCMB. lol

Yeah, I mention the crossover in another post. Black Circle saw the first real interaction between Kyle and Ollie. Lotta frustration let out on both ends.

It's funny, back then, those were bad numbers. These days it's almost normal.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Damn, I wish this was about another lantern. I can't stand Hal.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    Damn, I wish this was about another lantern. I can't stand Hal.
    Oh man, too bad DC is forcing you to buy it...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Oh man, too bad DC is forcing you to buy it...
    ?... I don't get why you're saying that. Overprotective of a fictional character?

I just wish it was another lantern. Morrison on Kyle Rayner or John Stewart would be awesome.
    Last edited by Magneto; 08-10-2018 at 06:02 PM.

?... I don't get why you're saying that. Overprotective of a fictional character?
    Or some people don't appreciate it when someone shits on their parade?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I just wish it was another lantern. Morrison on Kyle Rayner or John Stewart would be awesome.
    Give Morrison a chance. I never cared for Batman until Morrison reminded me of how cool he is when he's not reheated Frank Miller leftovers

BANNED

I think that win, lose or draw, this is the last push Hal will get to be the big cheese of the Earth Lanterns. When you're selling four products, you're foolish to tell people not to buy three of them. Sooner or later DC will figure that out.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Or some people don't appreciate it when someone shits on their parade?
    I only said I didnt like Hal Jordan. Calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Give Morrison a chance. I never cared for Batman until Morrison reminded me of how cool he is when he's not reheated Frank Miller leftovers
    Yeah, i'll probably check it out anyway.

I think that win, lose or draw, this is the last push Hal will get to be the big cheese of the Earth Lanterns. When you're selling four products, you're foolish to tell people not to buy three of them. Sooner or later DC will figure that out.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by Magneto; 08-11-2018 at 06:40 AM.

I seriously doubt that Hal will never get another standalone GL title after Morrison's run is over. The Green Lanterns have only been in team books for years now, I think they would go back to the "one standalone/one team GL book" format, regardless of who's featured in the standalone title.