Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Nevermind.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-19-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I'd give one to that post, for sure.

If you want an explanation -- what did the emotional spectrum, the evil Guardians, Hal stationed in space, Sinestro as a hero, or Baz and Cruz have to do with restoring what DC threw away in Emerald Twilight?

Nothing at all! That was entirely Geoff's stuff, and it's what he made Green Lantern about. It was as radical a transformation as anyone has ever carried out on a comic.
    These things did not have anything to do with the restored Corps and they did not need to. Johns built-up the world and added new things to facilitate new stories and that is what a good comic book writer should do. All the things that Johns' brought back from Emerald Twilight were still there and they still had a place in the stories Johns was telling, but he also focused on new things.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

BANNED

Post deleted.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-19-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    although I wish it were more than 12-issues. Is that confirmed or were they just referencing arc lengths?
    I think it's still unclear how long Grant's run will be.

DIDIO: "before the dinner was over, Morrison had admitted he came up with an idea for 12 issues already. “
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    These things did not have anything to do with the restored Corps and they did not need to. Johns built-up the world and added new things to facilitate new stores and that is what a good comic book writer should do. All the things that Johns' brought back from Emerald Twilight were still there and they still had a place in the stories Johns was telling, but he also focused on new things.
    That's a fair point. My point though is that Johns radically transformed the comic, when nobody asked him to and he never said he was going to. He didn't get rid of the comic's past, but he stopped using it and just used his own stuff instead. He could say it was still there, but so what, since he didn't use it?

One reason he got away with it was that he did it so slowly. He boiled the frog. Google that term, if you're unfamiliar with it.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-19-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    That's a fair point. My point though is that Johns radically transformed the comic, when nobody asked him to. He didn't get rid of the past, but he stopped using it and just used his own stuff. He could say it was still there, but so what , since he didn't use it?
    The restored corps still played parts in Johns' stories, the Guardians still had parts in Johns' stories before they turned completely evil, He also used Lore from Alan Moore's run and the Black Hand, A Green Lantern villain from the 60's. Also, post-Sinestro's Corps War also included the Secret Origin Storyline, which retold Hal's origin and included Hector Hammond, another villain from the 60's. Johns used both old and new stuff.
    Last edited by KC; 07-19-2018 at 03:37 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by justinslot View Post
    Love Morrison, hate Hal. Something's gotta give...

(I'll probably end up checking it out.)
    Same here. Really don't like GL in general anymore. Who knows? Maybe Grant can make me like him again since I will, more than likely, buy this at some point.
    Batman - Daredevil

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I think it's still unclear how long Grant's run will be.
    I think it's "As long as Morrison wants". (And hopefully it won't be cut short by a universe reboot, like the last one sort of was. I know he finished Batman Inc, but I feel it's a bit rushed.)
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Big fan of Hal Jordan as Green Lantern.
    BUT,
    I really dislike Morrison's writing so I will give this book a pass.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by justinslot View Post
    Love Morrison, hate Hal. Something's gotta give...

(I'll probably end up checking it out.)
    Same tyhing here, but not liking the character doesn't mean I ca't appreciate the stories.

And who knows, maybe Morrison can pull a Darwyn Cooke and write a Jordan I don't hate. If anyone can...
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I know Morrison's the reason I'm going to be trying this book out.
    I get that. And I expect that's the case for a lot of ppl. But a publisher just trying to boost sales for a character isn't the same thing as pushing that character to be considered top-tier.

The more I think of it, the more I wonder why they chose Hal (I didn't read the article). If it's supposed to coincide w/ boosting Hal's brand before the GLC movie in 2020, why not choose John Stewart, who'll also be in the movie? I think both Stewart and Rayner are much more interesting characters than Hal, and Morrison could probably do more w/ them.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    I get that. And I expect that's the case for a lot of ppl. But a publisher just trying to boost sales for a character isn't the same thing as pushing that character to be considered top-tier.

The more I think of it, the more I wonder why they chose Hal (I didn't read the article). If it's supposed to coincide w/ boosting Hal's brand before the GLC movie in 2020, why not choose John Stewart, who'll also be in the movie? I think both Stewart and Rayner are much more interesting characters than Hal, and Morrison could probably do more w/ them.
    I dunno. Didio commented that they're trying to re-position Hal as important to the GL franchise and Hal's personal foibles with his personal life on Earth might have been why Morrison gravitated toward exploring that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post

Because WB and DC Comics are two different things. WB wants John and Hal. But DC Comics doesn't share those same views as we've seen for years. Dan Didio is the one who approached Morrison to write about Hal. So basically either a writer who have interest to write a specific GL and solicit a pitch to editorial to write stories about that character who they like (like what Scott Snyder and Ethan Van Sciver stated) or have TPTB at DC solicit pitches to writers to write specifically about a character (like Geoff Johns with Green Lanterns and Dan Didio asking Grant Morrison to write about Hal).

Regarding this news, this is what it should've been from the start of Rebirth, along with the other new Justice League titles having John and Jessica in them.

Quote Originally Posted by panthergod View Post
    This hilarious contrarian anti Morrison sentiment is ridiculous. He's among the mediums absolute legends, and has directly creatively resusitated multiple franchises including the X-Men. the whiny anti Hal arguments are goofy as well. He's the main character of this franchise. Period. get over it. If that damn movie had'dt sucked due to **** writing, Reynold's self loathing sarcasm routine and WB's general incompetence with DC properties, GL would have been a top 4 DC character. This book will be AMAZING, guaranteed. This will likelybe a cosmic philosophical treatise on the nature of will, imagination and overcoming trauma at least subtextually and on the surface an intimate character study of a traumatized space vet/hi octane sci-fi crime story.
    Preach!

The God of all comics is back. Plus Liam Sharpe? Holy crap it is going to be amazing