Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    You don't think Geoff's fans were the ones who were buying GL? If not, then who was buying it, and where did they go? Because they've vanished wihtout a trace, haven't they?
    You didn't answer my question so I won't answer your deflection.

Crisis? Well, I think what sold and didn't sell before Crisis doesn't mean a lot. But you're welcome to think otherwise.
    Wow. How dismissive of you.

Emerald Dawn was successful, yes. But within four years, the sales had dropped to the point where DC had utterly nuked Hal, John, Guy and the GLC, and they meant for it to be permanent.
    Which had nothing to do with fictional characters who can't write themselves.

No, Hal, Guy and John have never been treated as equals.
    Wrong. In the beginning of volume 3 they all shared the book until John and Guy were given their own books. That's equal treatment.

You forgot one big success with Green Lantern that DC very foolishly screwed up. Go here and read about it. And notice that it wasn't Hal and Pals.

http://www.steveenglehart.com/Comics...n%20Corps.html
    I already know about this. But thanks anyway.
    Last edited by docmidnite; 08-01-2018 at 03:26 PM.

So will Morrison finally get Hal "Roman Reigns" Jordan over the way DC has been trying to get him over since 2004? Probably not. Maybe he'll surprise me about that, but I doubt it.
    Seems like Trey isn't getting tired of trolling just yet. Why the incessant need to turn every Green Lantern thread into a shitshow.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Seems like Trey isn't getting tired of trolling just yet. Why the incessant need to turn every Green Lantern thread into a shitshow.
    Johnny, I'm a fan of Hal. Look down in my sig. I've written two sample issues that he stars in -- The Ravening Pit. No other GL appears in them. Those are pretty good credentials that I like the character and want him to be successful, aren't they?

I like Roman Reigns too. But the WWE needs to stop pushing him as the champion. That's not the best role for him.

You've got Grant Morrison writing Hal now. You should be doing cartwheels about that. What more could you ask for?

But I don't think Hal will work as the carrier of the franchise. Maybe Morrison will prove me wrong. If he does, that's fine. But if Morrison fails to get Hal over that way, then surely it'll be time to try it a different approach with Green Lantern, won't it? Can we agree about that?
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 08-01-2018 at 04:01 PM.

But I don't think Hal will work as the carrier of the franchise. Maybe Morrison will prove me wrong. If he does, that's fine. But if Morrison fails to get Hal over that way, then surely it'll be time to try it a different approach with Green Lantern, won't it? Can we agree about that?
    Yes and no.

Yes, because in every legacy franchise it's necessary to try new things every once in a while, whether it's due to lower sales or times changing or what not. Which is also a bit ironic since you're not the biggest Baz and Cruz fan from what I recall.

No, because Hal's been "over" for decades and there's really nothing deficient about his character that makes him unworthy of being at the center of the franchise, regardless of who's writing him or how.

It's because the GLC is a police force, not one of several armies whose only function is to fight each other.
    Actually, the GLC was originally an Intergalactic Peacekeeping Force meant to keep higher evolved species from interfering with the natural evolutionary process of lower evolved species

Oh, and good on Morrison for dismissing the idea that the Guardians should be evil manipulators. Johns spent years building them up as obnoxious.
    Ummm... The Guardians have been written that way since O'Neil/Adams. That's why Hal quit the first time here...

181-1.jpg

Extraordinary Member

The people who were buying those comics were fans of Geoff Johns. They weren't fans of Hal Jordan or even of Green Lantern.

It was like all those people who watched golf because they were fans of Tiger Woods, and not because they were fans of golf.

But times change, don't they?
    That’s not true at all. I literally only got into comics because of that run. Johns name meant next to nothing to me. That was true for a lot of people. Sinestro Corp War and Blackesy Night we’re gateway comics fit that era. The hype was unreal. DC really hasn’t had much of anything since then that was as hot as Green Lantern during that time.

The only thing that really changed is the stories quality dipped and there isn’t the anticipation from arc to arc.
    Last edited by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE; 08-01-2018 at 04:54 PM.

Ultimate Member

You don't think Geoff's fans were the ones who were buying GL? If not, then who was buying it, and where did they go? Because they've vanished wihtout a trace, haven't they?
    Folks who were actually interested in the story. It wasn't all Johns sheep.

Where did they go?

You got new writers and while quality may vary-the book was still about HAL and that granted it higher orders than it should have gotten.

For all the hate Robert V got-he didn't kill orders for the book.

Alienation of the other Lanterns didn't help thing. Especially with fans of you know who. Who DC has lost pretty much for good (Snyder's JL run be danged).

Also you had no events like Blackness Night or Sinestro War lead by GL.

And then the final insult to some Hal Jordan & TGLC book. With the main complaint of "I don't want to read about Hal". The artist saying it's Hal's book. So more alienation.

It does not matter what is done with the others in any other book, movie, toy line or tv show-where is that RESPECT shown to them in the franchise they are suppose to be representing?

So now we are here-with a simple question-Is the Green Lantern a book about HAL ONLY or about a set of space cops?

Dc is being very obvious in the answer. Which is fine but don't expect the success you had previously. Especially considering what 4 of the Earth lanterns happen to be.

................Edit: Fine, I hadn't really heard of him till Rebirth.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-01-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    The false narrative you are trying to invent is off.
    Green Lantern Rebirth (2004) predates his run on JSA (2006).
    So yeah people jumped on to see the return/Rebirth of Hal Jordan and The Corps, not for Johns, who was still pretty obscure.
    Uh, hate to break it to you but the 2006 run was his SECOND JSA run. His first started in 2000 with issue 6.

And he was FAR from obscure. He had a few years on The Flash (00-05) and had just started Teen Titans the year prior.
    Heck he was even on Avengers for a short time...

Not sure where you're getting your info from.
    Last edited by Kirby Krackle; 08-01-2018 at 05:55 PM.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    Kyle WAS selling well, until Ben Raab tanked the book. I have no idea why editorial approved of his material, but my god was it bad. Kyle Rayner was my jam back then and it felt like such a punch in the gut. Marz put a nice bow on everything at the end, but Raab... man, to go from the critical acclaim of Winnick to THAT. Yeesh.
    Actually, sales started to dip when Winnick started putting Terry more at the forefront. It was critically acclaimed (not as much as GL/GA: HTH mind you) but a lot of Kyle fans wanted more Kyle and less Terry again. Then, when John started walking again and became a GL again, a lot of Kyle fans got upset about that as well.

Looks like Morrison is going to do what I've wanted to be done for a while now: focus on smaller stories that don't have the fate of the universe at stake. I'm happy that old planets might show up again, it's always nice to see continuity used to world build. I also have no doubt that Morrison will eventually tell a "big" story.

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Actually, sales started to dip when Winnick started putting Terry more at the forefront. It was critically acclaimed (not as much as GL/GA: HTH mind you) but a lot of Kyle fans wanted more Kyle and less Terry again. Then, when John started walking again and became a GL again, a lot of Kyle fans got upset about that as well.
    Gonna jump around a bit, but here's what Comichron has to say about that.

#119 - 44,309
    #122 - 41,033
    #124 - 39,859
    #125 - 39,775 (Ron Marz Final)
    #127 - 38,941

Pre-Winnick

#129 - 37,648 (Winnick's first and Terry Bergs First Appearance)
    #130 - 36,784
    #137 - 36,088
    #144 - 35,894
    #150 - 41,082
    #154 - 41,107 (Hate Crime)
    #155 - 41,738 (pt2)
    #156 - 41,577
    #157 - 40,625
    #160 - 36,641
    #161 - 36,160
    #162 - 45,345
    #163 - 44,593
    #164 - 44,058 (Winick's Final)

Post - Winnick

#165 - 44,058 (Ben Raab first)
    #170 - 32,681
    #175 - 29,780 (Raab Final)

Yeah so uh... no. Sales initially dipped when Marz left and gradually went up during Winnick's run. Actually doing VERY well while Terry was the spotlight. It wasn't until he left that Ben Raab sunk the book from a hi-30's/mid-40's title, into the low-30's. The things people were complaining about on forums, do not match up with the numbers.

Fantastic Member

Morrison is my favorite writer, alongside with early (and X-Statix era) Peter Milligan.
    I don't have any particular interest in Hal Jordan but today after I read the DC Nation piece I must say I am beyond excited, not because there is a new Morrison monthly in the horizon, because "Buddhist Jack Kerouac-infused" space hero pitch sounds like an amazing concept.

Also, should I read Winick's run? Is it any good? I like his stories in overall and Terrence sounds like an interesting supporting member.

Quote Originally Posted by madmodpoetgod View Post
    Also, should I read Winick's run? Is it any good? I like his stories in overall and Terrence sounds like an interesting supporting member.
    Absolutely. It's a great ride the whole way through and Nero was such a good villain for Kyle. It ends on a bit of a whimper since it's a Green Arrow crossover, but still worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    Gonna jump around a bit, but here's what Comichron has to say about that.

#119 - 44,309
    #122 - 41,033
    #124 - 39,859
    #125 - 39,775 (Ron Marz Final)
    #127 - 38,941

Pre-Winnick

#129 - 37,648 (Winnick's first and Terry Bergs First Appearance)
    #130 - 36,784
    #137 - 36,088
    #144 - 35,894
    #150 - 41,082
    #154 - 41,107 (Hate Crime)
    #155 - 41,738 (pt2)
    #156 - 41,577
    #157 - 40,625
    #160 - 36,641
    #161 - 36,160
    #162 - 45,345
    #163 - 44,593
    #164 - 44,058 (Winick's Final)

Post - Winnick

#165 - 44,058 (Ben Raab first)
    #170 - 32,681
    #175 - 29,780 (Raab Final)

Yeah so uh... no. Sales initially dipped when Marz left and gradually went up during Winnick's run. Actually doing VERY well while Terry was the spotlight. It wasn't until he left that Ben Raab sunk the book from a hi-30's/mid-40's title, into the low-30's. The things people were complaining about on forums, do not match up with the numbers.
    Please re-read what I said. I said sales started dipping during Winnick’s run after putting Terry at the forefront (basically after The Hate Crime) which they did. Sales only picked back up for a little bit when everyone started wondering how Winnick was going to end his run/leave Kyle and stayed to see what Raab was going to do after Winnick. Then sales started dipping AGAIN with Kyle in space during Raab’s run and sales got even worse when DC announced Rebirth and the rest of Raab’s run was looked at as filler by fans.

The book was basically in flux sales wise after the whole Terry thing. Hell, after Marz left the book started going in a state of flux sales wise, IMO.
    Last edited by docmidnite; 08-01-2018 at 09:15 PM.