BANNED

Default Infinity Countdown #5 Review/SPOILERS

The long road to Infinity Wars gets a little closer to the end with the conclusion of Infinity Countdown, paving the way for next week's Infinity Prime.

While it's taken awhile to get here, with the lead up taking us through the tail end of Gerry Duggan's GotG run, through the one-shots Infinity Countdown: Adam Warlock and Infinity Countdown Prime #1, and the five-issue Infinity Countdown itself. Not to mention that some of it was also teased in the Marvel Legacy one-shot!

So that's a whole lotta countin' down! But while the lead in has been long, I've liked the journey for the most part. Duggan is having fun with the cosmic end of Marvel and his artistic collaborators, like Mike Hawthorne, Mike Allred and Aaron Kuder, have done very nice work along the way.

As this hasn't been a line-wide event (outside of some one-shots featuring Daredevil and The Champions among others, I think the only title that had a branded tie-in issue was Doctor Strange), the big story has taken place essentially under one roof. If you've been following the main book, you're good.

So how does this conclusion work in teeing up Infinity Wars? Pretty damn good.

Probably the main thrust of the issue is that Doctor Strange now has the Time Stone, Nat has contacted him about her possession of the Space Stone, and Strange becomes aware that Turk has the Mind Stone. This issue lays out all the players, the current owners of all the stones, and ends with Strange mystically inviting them all to a meeting.

Also, things don't look good for poor Hank Pym in this issue as his imprisonment in the Soul Stone looks to come to a bad end. I suspect it's safe to say he'll come out of everything fine eventually but he's definitely not in a terrific situation at the moment.

And the Guardians end up essentially parting ways here - at least Drax and Gamora are no longer part of the team. Drax accepts Warlock and Kang's invite to help them protect the Soul Stone and Gamora is so disgusted at Quill and Rocket's reluctance to pursue the stones any further that she walks away.

Anyhow, I've enjoyed this lengthy prelude and hope that the big pay-off to come is going to be a fun ride.

I'm worried about Pym.

Extraordinary Member

Poor Hank...I'm sure hellsurvive somehow, but poor Hank.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Fun issue. I hope Pym makes it out in one piece!
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Amazing Member

Anyone know of a complete reading list for infinity countdown and infinity wars prime and series, with all their various tie ins?

Quote Originally Posted by Knockagh View Post
    Anyone know of a complete reading list for infinity countdown and infinity wars prime and series, with all their various tie ins?
    Infinity Countdown Reading List.jpg

This is for Infinity Countdown and the tie-ins. I'll try to find the Infinity Wars one

I'm not sure if there are tie-ins for Infinity Wars. I know Infinity Wars Prime comes out next Wednesday though.
    Last edited by Mary Jay; 07-22-2018 at 06:11 PM.
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Also, things don't look good for poor Hank Pym in this issue as his imprisonment in the Soul Stone looks to come to a bad end. I suspect it's safe to say he'll come out of everything fine eventually but he's definitely not in a terrific situation at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrel-San View Post
    I'm worried about Pym.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Poor Hank...I'm sure hellsurvive somehow, but poor Hank.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Fun issue. I hope Pym makes it out in one piece!
    Yeah... definitey worried about him too...

I just can't believe that Duggan would go to all this trouble to include both Ultron and Hank (and especially separating him from Ultron and send him to Soul World) just to kill him off like this. Because when you look at it, his part in this is nothing more than a side story, irrelevant to the bigger picture. There has to be something more to all this. At least I hope so.
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    Infinity Countdown Reading List.jpg

This is for Infinity Countdown and the tie-ins. I'll try to find the Infinity Wars one

I'm not sure if there are tie-ins for Infinity Wars. I know Infinity Wars Prime comes out next Wednesday though.
    Thanks!

I see Infinity Wars: Arachknight, Infinity Wars: Ghost Panther, Infinity Wars: Iron Hammer and Infinity Wars: Soldier Supreme have popped up on the site I use for my pull list and that’s just before the series starts! So I’m imagining the list could end up pretty long!