Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default The answer to Harley quinn coming soon?

You know Harley is an amazing DC character and I'm surprised that Marvel doesn't have their own version.....until I saw the out of the blue series coming shortly. Could Marvel be teasing Typhoid Mary as crazed super anti villain villain? I mean she has multiple personalities and is a great actress. I also find it odd she is getting a little mini out of the blue. Given her background: Could Mary be Marvel's "Harley Quinn?

BANNED

She's already DC's answer to Deadpool. Marvel doesn't need to an answer to that.

Niffleheim

Who is Typhoid's (lol) version of Joker and Batman in her backstory?

Extraordinary Member

I think Deadpool is Marvel's Harley Quinn. The successful DC reinvention of Harley has often been compared to Deadpool.

Typhoid Mary, I don't think can work the same way because her mental illness is played straight. Harley and Wade are both funny/sad characters but Mary has to be more serious or it looks like they're making fun of her.

Wasn't Gwenpool Marvel's answer to Harley?
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    She was Marvel's answer to Deadpool

Nope. Just Marvel working on another...yawn...street level character. Typhoid is the kind of character that a writer can't get enough of that sends the audience running for the hills. If you want an example of this go check out Moonknight. You know it's only a matter of time before she goes out with Moonknight.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 07-19-2018 at 02:36 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmist View Post
    Who is Typhoid's (lol) version of Joker and Batman in her backstory?
    Don't laugh at me!!!!

So it doesn't have to be an exact copy per se, complete with same story. Its more like the whole character. The half and half face, the multiple personalities...the infiltrating acting chops. Mary doesn't need to be funny or rely on a Mr. J. Its like how Deadpool was the answer to Taskmaster, yet became his own man.....if that makes sense. I'm bad at conveying what I'm saying.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Nope. Just Marvel working on another...yawn...street level character. It's the kind of character that a writer can't get enough of that sends the audience running for the hills. If you want an example of this go check out Moonknight. You know it's only a matter of time before she goes out with Moonknight.
    Its just an odd choice in street level character. Typhoid Mary was kind of a peon, until maybe a good tenure during the initiative and her Phoenix force imagery. I think she is a pretty powerful character that is stronger than "street level", but I get what you're saying.

If you're looking for a cute girl with legitimate psychological issues, you're looking for Typhoid Mary.

If you want the zany violent character, it's Deadpool.

If you just want cute girl who goes on adventures, it's Squirrel Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Only if you haven't read her series.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I couldn't see that at all. Typhoid Mary has always been a serious, kind of tragic character. I'm not sure how the fact that she has dissociative identities would automatically lead you to framing her as a wacky zany action protagonist. I mean, even though I like Mary, the nature of her mental illness is a big reason why most of her appearances since Nocenti haven't exactly been good or respectful. (Even Nocenti's original use of Typhoid Mary was pretty "problematic", showing that someone can turn wildly violent just because of a mental illness.) I really wouldn't love turning her into a wacky, off-the-rails, ultra violent comedy character like Harley Quinn is now.

Besides, Marvel has had plenty of great comedy characters: Deadpool, She-Hulk, Squirrel Girl, Gwenpool, Howard the Duck, etc.

Spectacular Member

Isn’t Lobo more like DC’s Deadpool?

Boisterously Confused

I sometimes think this fan and creator quest for analogs at The Big Two is.really detrimental to their comics. But geekX$ = banality.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmacaoni View Post
    So it doesn't have to be an exact copy per se, complete with same story. Its more like the whole character. The half and half face, the multiple personalities...the infiltrating acting chops. Mary doesn't need to be funny or rely on a Mr. J. Its like how Deadpool was the answer to Taskmaster, yet became his own man.....if that makes sense. I'm bad at conveying what I'm saying.
    I take it you mean Deadpool was the answer to Deathstroke? He, in turn however, was also the answer to TASKMASTER - in fact, the two characters are a lot more similar than Deathstroke and Deadpool even. Low-level superpowers which give enhanced fighting skills, masters of many types of weapons, a complex costume with designs from different eras incorporated... Interestingly enough though, Deathstroke and Taskmaster were actually both co-created by George Perez! With Taskmaster debuting about 6 months earlier, than Deathstroke.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I sometimes think this fan and creator quest for analogs at The Big Two is.really detrimental to their comics. But geekX$ = banality.
    Agreed. DC and Marvel do NOT need analogues of each others biggest characters, it only cheapens the creativity and messes with story-engines and the balance of their fictional universes.