Spectacular Member

Default New Venom Series

Am contemplating picking this up, but not sure how it is.....any thoughts from readers? I really enjoy Stegman's art, which is probably my main reason for shelling out the cash for it, but is it worth the read? Considering it is only a few issues deep if I jump on it, I won't be missing much.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsguru View Post
    Am contemplating picking this up, but not sure how it is.....any thoughts from readers? I really enjoy Stegman's art, which is probably my main reason for shelling out the cash for it, but is it worth the read? Considering it is only a few issues deep if I jump on it, I won't be missing much.
    It's really good. Easily one of the best "Fresh Start" books so far

Hands down the best new series of the year!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

Yeah it's pretty good. I'm not a huge Eddie Brock fan but this has been interesting to me. And the art is great.

It is a wonderful series, grade AAA.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

With the possible exception of Remender's Venom, it's hands down the best Venom solo series to date. If you really want an in-depth look at Brock and the symbiote, as well as both their origins, this series is for you.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Extraordinary Member

I love it! I love the art, I love the characters, and I love Eddie's sort of romantic relationship with Venom. I don't know why, but I do.

As someone who was looking forward to the return of Eddie Brock to the Venom character after all the evolution and changes the symbiote had during the Flash Thompson era, I'm left disappointed. The current story seems to try returning the whole character to a more villain style, but given a way to back out given the whole "symbiote god" angle. Then there is the side story of a Government experiment during the Vietnam War to deal with... again, doesn't sound as good as older Venom stories or even Flash era stories have been.

I was hoping for a more "Lethal Protector" style return than a push back to "basics" before the movie hits.

Eh, it's well-written, but I don't like retcons like the ones they;re doing where symbioses have been on Earth for a long time and crap.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by themasething View Post
    As someone who was looking forward to the return of Eddie Brock to the Venom character after all the evolution and changes the symbiote had during the Flash Thompson era, I'm left disappointed. The current story seems to try returning the whole character to a more villain style, but given a way to back out given the whole "symbiote god" angle. Then there is the side story of a Government experiment during the Vietnam War to deal with... again, doesn't sound as good as older Venom stories or even Flash era stories have been.

I was hoping for a more "Lethal Protector" style return than a push back to "basics" before the movie hits.
    Back to basics and lethal protecter is the same thibg and imo its doing it well
    X-Men Forever

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Eh, it's well-written, but I don't like retcons like the ones they;re doing where symbioses have been on Earth for a long time and crap.
    Imo thats fine. So some members of the symbiotes came to earth big deal. At least venom itself never came to earth in a retcon before bonding to Spidey id hate that
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by themasething View Post
    The current story seems to try returning the whole character to a more villain style, but given a way to back out given the whole "symbiote god" angle.
    What exactly makes you think they are trying to return him to a more "villain style", 'cause i honestly don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95
    Is it really a retcon though? it's not changing something previously established, i just see it as adding some backstory to the symbiotes. It's nothing like what Bendis did in Guardians of the galaxy with the whole Klyntar stuff.

Incredible Member

Right now I'd say it's just okay. Stegman's art is top notch, but I had higher hopes for the writing after having read Donny Cates run on Thanos. So far, this isn't quite as fun.