Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    According to this article, “The series is looking to cast an 18+-year-old actress, of any ethnicity, to play a 15-year-old Courtney.” I'm usually pretty open-minded about re-imagining heroes and heroines as POC, but Courtney has always been a character I imagined as Caucasian. I just can't imagine an Asian or Hispanic Courtney. Still, if they do decided to cast a POC, I will try to be as open-minded as I can and wait to see the final product before casting judgment. Still, this irritates me.
    Ignoring how you ended your statement.

It is naive, so so so naive to believe that "open ethnicity" actually means they will cast a poc or rather that they would actually consider actors of color for the role. Not to say that's what you said or implied is gonna happen but people should keep this in mind.

When castings say "open ethnicity" it's usually just for show, ...not to say all of them are like that but most are, especially when they (tptb) already have an idea of an actress in mind; example being Chilling Adventures of Sabrina who also had an open ethnicity casting and after hiring Kiernan Shipka, admitted that Kiernan is who they envisioned from the beginning and wanted.

I would be shocked if they cast an actress of color but if they did I would expect a latina actress like Bella Thorne or a black actress like Zendaya, since they are not that big of stark contrast complexion wise from the comic version.

More than likely a poc on this show would be relegated to the best friend trope or they'll have her step family be biracial with the step dad being white and the biological mom of the step siblings being a woman of color.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 08-15-2018 at 06:13 AM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Ignoring how you ended your statement.

It is naive, so so so naive to believe that "open ethnicity" actually means they will cast a poc or rather that they would actually consider actors of color for the role. Not to say that's what you said or implied is gonna happen but people should keep this in mind.

When castings say "open ethnicity" it's usually just for show, ...not to say all of them are like that but most are, especially when they (tptb) already have an idea of an actress in mind; example being Chilling Adventures of Sabrina who also had an open ethnicity casting and after hiring Kiernan Shipka, admitted that Kiernan is who they envisioned from the beginning and wanted.

I would be shocked if they cast an actress of color but if they did I would expect a latina actress like Bella Thorne or a black actress like Zendaya, since they are not that big of stark contrast complexion wise from the comic version.

More than likely a poc on this show would be relegated to the best friend trope or they'll have her step family be biracial with the step dad being white and the biological mom of the step siblings being a woman of color.
    I just want to clear: I haven't had a problem with other characters being re-imagined as poc but it's just not how I imagine Courtney Whitmore.

Is what I said racist? (This is a sincere question.)

I just want to clear: I haven't had a problem with other characters being re-imagined as poc but it's just not how I imagine Courtney Whitmore.

Is what I said racist? (This is a sincere question.)
    Lmao no, nothing you said was racist, my comment was referring to the last part where you said the casting irritated you.

I didn't want reply and say of course this casting irritated you b/c you care/love the character of Stargirl b/c it could come across as rude.

But yeah, a good sum of people have no problem with changes a character goes through until it's a character they love b/c they don't want anything to change, it's normal.

~~

DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

I know they're having an open ethnicity casting for the role, but I'll be very surprised if they don't cast a blue-eyed blonde for Courtney.

I mean, they did the same thing for Batwoman.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    People give the JSA on LOT way too much BS. They literally appeared in TWO episodes. They served their purpose and moved on. They weren't meant for a big arc.
    I know the writers didn't intend for them to have a big arc, but considering they were the cliffhanger of the first season and were majorly promoted parts of the second season up to the premier...I think people can be forgiven for expecting a team of the JSA's pedigree to get more then what they got on LoT.

Not to mention how the actual members not named Amaya started dropping like flies or getting sucked into weird status quo's. I mean, Stargirl ended up as Merlin for some reason .

Fantastic Member

Lmao no, nothing you said was racist, my comment was referring to the last part where you said the casting irritated you.

I didn't want reply and say of course this casting irritated you b/c you care/love the character of Stargirl b/c it could come across as rude.

But yeah, a good sum of people have no problem with changes a character goes through until it's a character they love b/c they don't want anything to change, it's normal.
    I think you're right. Thanks for the polite response.

I was just about this post the same article, but it was already linked here, so now that we know that Yolanda Montez Wildcat is a part of the show do we think that Jakeem Thunder or Maxine Hunkel will be added...

And as the article stated Hourman and Doctor Mid-Nite are mentioned so what other heroes do you expect to exist and maybe see.

I think you're right. Thanks for the polite response.
    No problem.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 08-22-2018 at 12:38 AM.

~~

~~

I was just about this post the same article, but it was already linked here, so now that we know that Yolanda Montez Wildcat is a part of the show do we think that Jakeem Thunder or Maxine Hunkel will be added...

And as the article stated Hourman and Doctor Mid-Nite are mentioned so what other heroes do you expect to exist and maybe see.
    If they're addressing Wildcat, I'm curious if we'll see Flash, Green Lantern, and the Hawks addressed as well...maybe even Power Girl ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If they're addressing Wildcat, I'm curious if we'll see Flash, Green Lantern, and the Hawks addressed as well...maybe even Power Girl ?
    Ted Knight too perhaps?
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hmm, I don't know if we'd see Flash or Green Lantern, maybe a mention of them, but I definitely could see the Hawks and Power Girl ...but which power girl, the original one Kara or Tanya so that Courtney has another young peer.

~~

~~

As long as they cast someone who somewhat resembles his sister, I doubt Johns cares what her technical ethnicity is. And she should resemble his sister, the character was created as a tribute to her memory.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

As it should. Stargirl is a light hearted and fun character as well as the JSA.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Good to hear .

I don't think Stargirl (or the JSA as a whole) would fit with the kind of dark, cerebral, and gritty nature of those shows, so having a more all-ages series is definitely a better way to go in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    As long as they cast someone who somewhat resembles his sister, I doubt Johns cares what her technical ethnicity is. And she should resemble his sister, the character was created as a tribute to her memory.
    Did Johns specifically have her designed to look like his sister from the get-go?

Because, even knowing she was based on his sister, I think it would be kind of weird to deliberately cast someone who looks like John's sister rather then someone who looks like Courtney from the comics.

But that's just me.

Now that you mention it, I don't know it was ever specified. I suppose I always just assumed. The name of course, and basic personality is based on his sister, but I don't know about the look now.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Now that you mention it, I don't know it was ever specified. I suppose I always just assumed. The name of course, and basic personality is based on his sister, but I don't know about the look now.
    Yeah, the look as well.

16004929_116814071404.jpg

Courtney Johns

3 May 1978 - 17 Jul 1996