Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default X-Men: Grand Design - Second Genesis #1 Preview

Full preview at the link : http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...ond-genesis-1/

Thanks God, Piskor completely ignored Deadly Genesis !

BANNED

I love this book.

Is this a continuation of that book where Jean had sex with some dude named Ted and Cyclops fans didn't want to accept it because it was assumed Cyclops was the first and only man Jean ever slept with?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Granny Rogue.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Ignoring Deadly Genisis is a bad thing actually. They said this mini would retell X-Men history in a nutshell. Now this mini is leaving out a very important part. That of Xavier manipulating Cyclops and the others, whiping out their memories. The most dirty deed of Professor X.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Ignoring Deadly Genisis is a bad thing actually. They said this mini would retell X-Men history in a nutshell. Now this mini is leaving out a very important part. That of Xavier manipulating Cyclops and the others, whiping out their memories. The most dirty deed of Professor X.
    Well Piskor already retconned some things in the previous issues so it's not a really a 100% accurate retelling of the X-Men history. It's not meant to replace the original continuity, it's just a new take which is streamlining the X-Continuity for both new readers but also for longterm fans who got fed up with the convoluted mess that the franchise become since the 90s.

Now I can understand why some people wouldn't be happy about all these retcons but for me Deadly Genesis is such a terrible story that completely ruined Xavier and never made any sense at all. So if Piskor wants to retcon it that's a good thing in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Grand Design is only retelling up to the end of the original Claremont run, so not much point including a retcon from years later if it won't be followed up on in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Is this a continuation of that book where Jean had sex with some dude named Ted and Cyclops fans didn't want to accept it because it was assumed Cyclops was the first and only man Jean ever slept with?
    No lol I am a fan of Cyclops and Now Jean fan can not say Cyclops was her only partner in bed. The hate Emma got because she had another partners was so much. Jean has had 2 less then Emma and with her being back I am sure that number will go up.

Looks great! I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    Well Piskor already retconned some things in the previous issues so it's not a really a 100% accurate retelling of the X-Men history. It's not meant to replace the original continuity, it's just a new take which is streamlining the X-Continuity for both new readers but also for longterm fans who got fed up with the convoluted mess that the franchise become since the 90s.

Now I can understand why some people wouldn't be happy about all these retcons but for me Deadly Genesis is such a terrible story that completely ruined Xavier and never made any sense at all. So if Piskor wants to retcon it that's a good thing in my opinion.
    So if it doesn't replace original continuity, then original continuity is still correct, so how does this story mean a thing?

For example, all of the X-Men still confronted Proteus in Scotland, not just Jean, and he still needed to be taken down that first time by Colossus' metal form.

Yeah, I didn't like the first installation, and this one is even worse(now he's messing with Lord Claremont's canon)! So many iconic moments, butchered.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I haven't been able to read a lot of back issues outside of the must reads (DP, God Loves Man Kills, DoFP) so I am really digging the cliff notes version of the X-history.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Currently the best X-Men book on the stands IMHO. I can't wait for Rogue's introduction, and the New Mutants, and... wow there's still A LOT of ground to cover before the end of Claremont's first run, are there 3 more issues planned?

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    So if it doesn't replace original continuity, then original continuity is still correct, so how does this story mean a thing?

For example, all of the X-Men still confronted Proteus in Scotland, not just Jean, and he still needed to be taken down that first time by Colossus' metal form.

When Newsarama asked Piskor if this story is meant to be viewed as canon, he said :

"Here’s the thing, as a cartoonist, I really can’t be bothered with that kind of stuff. I’m just trying to tell my story, my definitive X-Men comics. I’m trying to make a graphic novel out of 8,000 pages of periodical storytelling.
    If Grand Design is used that way later, I have no control over that, but this is really my love letter to Claremont and crew. I think it’s silly to cry about “canon.” The comics you loved as a kid, they still exist, so don’t worry about it. Let people tell the story the way they want to tell it."

Think of it as a personal interpretation of the X-Men mythology where Piskor is trying to streamline the old continuity and stories that were told between the 60s and the 90s in order to give a clearer picture of the franchise for new fans while also adding new things inspired by other medias making the story feel fresh and entertaining for old fans too.
    For example in the first issue you can see Wolverine and Captain America meeting a young Max Eisenhardt, it never happened in the current continuity but it happened in X-Men Evolution, same for Xavier who lost his legs when Cain Marko became the juggernaut while in current continuity he lost them after a battle with Lucifer (the first time at least). Of course not having Colossus defeat Proteus is disappointing ( same as the 90s cartoon where Proteus was "defeated" by Xavier), but who knows maybe Piotr will have his big moment later.

So to answer your question it's just a cool story that the writer wanted to tell, it has no ambition to replace the original continuity it's just a modern take on the franchise influenced by the comics/cartoon/movies and by Piskor own experience as an X-Men reader, that's why I said I was happy he didn't include Deadly Genesis because I can't stand this story. Deadly Genesis, House of M and their consequences are what ruined the X-Men for me.

Of course it's just my opinion and I can understand why other peoples don't like the writing (the retcons especially) or the art so of course for them the story doesn't mean a thing but for me it's just a fun book that reminds me of why I used to like the X-Men a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    When Newsarama asked Piskor if this story is meant to be viewed as canon, he said :

"Here’s the thing, as a cartoonist, I really can’t be bothered with that kind of stuff. I’m just trying to tell my story, my definitive X-Men comics. I’m trying to make a graphic novel out of 8,000 pages of periodical storytelling.
    If Grand Design is used that way later, I have no control over that, but this is really my love letter to Claremont and crew. I think it’s silly to cry about “canon.” The comics you loved as a kid, they still exist, so don’t worry about it. Let people tell the story the way they want to tell it."

Think of it as a personal interpretation of the X-Men mythology where Piskor is trying to streamline the old continuity and stories that were told between the 60s and the 90s in order to give a clearer picture of the franchise for new fans while also adding new things inspired by other medias making the story feel fresh and entertaining for old fans too.
    For example in the first issue you can see Wolverine and Captain America meeting a young Max Eisenhardt, it never happened in the current continuity but it happened in X-Men Evolution, same for Xavier who lost his legs when Cain Marko became the juggernaut while in current continuity he lost them after a battle with Lucifer (the first time at least). Of course not having Colossus defeat Proteus is disappointing ( same as the 90s cartoon where Proteus was "defeated" by Xavier), but who knows maybe Piotr will have his big moment later.

So to answer your question it's just a cool story that the writer wanted to tell, it has no ambition to replace the original continuity it's just a modern take on the franchise influenced by the comics/cartoon/movies and by Piskor own experience as an X-Men reader, that's why I said I was happy he didn't include Deadly Genesis because I can't stand this story. Deadly Genesis, House of M and their consequences are what ruined the X-Men for me.

Of course it's just my opinion and I can understand why other peoples don't like the writing (the retcons especially) or the art so of course for them the story doesn't mean a thing but for me it's just a fun book that reminds me of why I used to like the X-Men a long time ago.
    So, the X-Men still all faced Proteus in Scotland, Colossus was instrumental in stopping him, and Piskor's definitive version of the story where Phoenix stopped him before the rest of the team got there is simply wrong and will probably never be referenced again. Got it.

The bit about D'Ken negotiating with Galactus by threatening to destroy his food supply and actually getting Firelord to attack Phoenix as a consequence, as opposed to Eric the Red tricking him directly, was also ludicrous, for several reasons. One, the idea that Galactus would deign to negotiate in that manner, as opposed to possibly start eating his way through Shi'ar space and dissuade D'Ken from messing with the crystal that way, is pretty silly. Two, Firelord was no longer Galactus' herald at that point, so he wasn't taking orders from the big guy anyway.