Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Is it still possible for a major character to have a great death that sticks?

I was thinking about Morrison's upcoming run on Hal Jordan recently and was thinking that it might be cool, if the book really does manage to remind everyone what was so cool about Hal to begin with, that the story ends with Hal giving his life in the line of duty and DC actually sticking with it.

There's plenty of other GLs out there now. Hal's had a wonderful run. His legacy as one of the pillars of the DCU is secure. He's saved the galaxy hundreds of times over by now. If the story was worth it and he was given a great send-off, would creators and fans accept the death of a character as major as Hal without DC immediately bringing him back from the dead a handful of years later?

Frankly, I think Barry Allen was a more important character when he was dead than he generally is running around the DCU, and his return hasn't really led to any particularly interesting or great stories yet. This is not to say that the last few years of Wally West's tenure was particularly interesting, and let's not even get into the ill-fated attempt to fast-track Bart Allen into the top spot.

The stain of Hal's unceremonious $#!+canning during the 90s and DC editorial's subsequent and feeble attempts to fix their mess has long since been cleaned up by Geoff Johns, who not only restored the character to his heroic roots, but expanded the mythos in exciting new ways. Meanwhile, Darwyn Cooke showed everyone why Hal Jordan was such an exciting character by setting him in the time period in which he is best suited, the 1950s and 60s.

These days, though. As much as I love Hal Jordan and look forward to great new stories about him, I can't help but wonder if it might be nice to see a great creator like Morrison let the character go out on a high note and finally get an ending. Let the other GLs carry on his legacy. Let him be remembered as the greatest of the Green Lanterns and the Patron Saint of Dead DC Superheroes like Barry Allen was for more than 25 years. He can still appear in flashbacks and alternate Earths stories, but let the main DCU continue without him.

Or is this just crazy talk and the realities of the modern comic industry simply won't allow an idea like that to happen?

What do you think?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I was thinking about Morrison's upcoming run on Hal Jordan recently and was thinking that it might be cool, if the book really does manage to remind everyone what was so cool about Hal to begin with, that the story ends with Hal giving his life in the line of duty and DC actually sticking with it.

There's plenty of other GLs out there now. Hal's had a wonderful run. His legacy as one of the pillars of the DCU is secure. He's saved the galaxy hundreds of times over by now. If the story was worth it and he was given a great send-off, would creators and fans accept the death of a character as major as Hal without DC immediately bringing him back from the dead a handful of years later?

Frankly, I think Barry Allen was a more important character when he was dead than he generally is running around the DCU, and his return hasn't really led to any particularly interesting or great stories yet. This is not to say that the last few years of Wally West's tenure was particularly interesting, and let's not even get into the ill-fated attempt to fast-track Bart Allen into the top spot.

The stain of Hal's unceremonious $#!+canning during the 90s and DC editorial's subsequent and feeble attempts to fix their mess has long since been cleaned up by Geoff Johns, who not only restored the character to his heroic roots, but expanded the mythos in exciting new ways. Meanwhile, Darwyn Cooke showed everyone why Hal Jordan was such an exciting character by setting him in the time period in which he is best suited, the 1950s and 60s.

These days, though. As much as I love Hal Jordan and look forward to great new stories about him, I can't help but wonder if it might be nice to see a great creator like Morrison let the character go out on a high note and finally get an ending. Let the other GLs carry on his legacy. Let him be remembered as the greatest of the Green Lanterns and the Patron Saint of Dead DC Superheroes like Barry Allen was for more than 25 years. He can still appear in flashbacks and alternate Earths stories, but let the main DCU continue without him.

Or is this just crazy talk and the realities of the modern comic industry simply won't allow an idea like that to happen?

What do you think?
    I'm not saying that's a bad idea. But even if they did it, and even it stuck for a while, guess what? Thirty years from now, someone completely different will be in charge at DC and will say, "Hey, I bet we could sell a zillion comics by bringing Hal back!"

If he's killed by glue.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I'm not saying that's a bad idea. But even if they did it, and even it stuck for a while, guess what? Thirty years from now, someone completely different will be in charge at DC and will say, "Hey, I bet we could sell a zillion comics by bringing Hal back!"
    This is one of those rare occasions where Trey and I are on the same page. All it takes is for "you know what we haven't done in a while...?" to sound like the least-worst idea at the quarterly What's Our Next Event Gonna Be meeting.

BANNED

It's no longer possible to do anything at all and have it stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    If he's killed by glue.
    I just got this.

Extraordinary Member

Why would anyone want to kill Hal Jordan? I hate it when heroes die - and I don't care if it's realistic or not.

Invisible Kid, Karate Kid, Supergirl, Flash/Barry, Green Arrow/Ollie, GL/Hal - stop killing off my heroes or wiping them out of existence.

No, please no. Never kill Hal Jordan again.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Yep.

10 characters
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

After they brought Barry back, I don't think there's any way DC could hype up or advertise a death and not have everyone expecting it to be undone within a year.

Especially since most comic book deaths these days seem to be more for shock-value then actual pathos.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    After they brought Barry back, I don't think there's any way DC could hype up or advertise a death and not have everyone expecting it to be undone within a year.

Especially since most comic book deaths these days seem to be more for shock-value then actual pathos.
    Marvel brought back Bucky Barnes! He had been "dead" for fifty years!

That was proof that nobody will ever stay dead! Ever!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Is it possible? Yes. Is it probable? Nope.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    If he's killed by glue.
    Too bad Paste Pot Pete is a Marvel character. He’d be perfect for the job.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Bucky Barnes, Jason Todd, and especially Barry Allen coming back made sure that it's impossible to believe a major character will stay dead.

At best you can maybe keep them dead for an extended period of time like Jean Grey, who was also killed by Morrison funnily enough.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Bucky Barnes, Jason Todd, and especially Barry Allen coming back made sure that it's impossible to believe a major character will stay dead.

At best you can maybe keep them dead for an extended period of time like Jean Grey, who was also killed by Morrison funnily enough.
    And now she's back.

I really don't foresee a death lasting as long as Jean's did at this point, at least for a major character.

Nyyyope. Best that can happen these days is that, if its written well enough, the temporary death is emotional.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El