Page 69 of 172 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119169 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 2577
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Just to point this out...

On a fairly regular basis, folks talk these days about how the future will judge their actions.

The defense for some of this recent stuff that has come out about Gunn seems to hinge on "How dare you suggest this guy should have been at least smart enough to grasp that?"

That's not much of a defense.
    "How dare you suggest that a guy with a fine arts degree should have been at least smart enough to grasp all the potential long term consequences of using an emergent software technology?"

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable defense to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    Did they fire him when he was sober?
    Even Gunn agrees it doesn’t how long ago the incident happen.
    How old was he ten years ago?

- Thirty?
    - Twenty?
    - Fifteen?
    He was 41 years old

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Just a curiosity: why is it “Disney fired Gunn” but not also “Disney fired Roseanne”?
    Because Roseanne was fired by Channing Dungey, the President of ABC.

Gunn was fired by Alan Horn (and possibly Bob Iger), the people who are in charge at Disney.

All-New Member

Here's my grumble.

Saying it(particularly after GLAAD all but forced the issue) is all well and good.

Making amends? Whole other kettle of fish.

Taking that into account, what are the specific actions he has taken to make amends with the group that called him out in the first place?
    Unless GLAAD or anyone else involved publically asked for Gunn to take specific actions to make amends, that is nobody's business but theirs and his. You don't get to dictate how a wronged party chooses to deal with the person who wronged them.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders View Post
    Even Gunn agrees it doesn’t how long ago the incident happen.

He was 41 years old
    You asked why Downey could be fired for bad behavior but not Gunn. Downey's behavior was interfering with the filming, and he wasn't doing his job. It's not like Marvel fired him now when he was acting responsibly because his behavior back then was poor.

BANNED

You asked why Downey could be fired for bad behavior but not Gunn. Downey's behavior was interfering with the filming, and he wasn't doing his job. It's not like Marvel fired him now when he was acting responsibly because his behavior back then was poor.
    I think Disney felt the tweets was interfering that why they fired him.

Gunn's tweets wouldn't have interfered with anything other than the few weeks following their reveal. Disney's actions will have far more dire results in the long term. Waiting for the nazis to get bored and find a new cause was the way to go. But Disney fed the sharks, they'll never go away now.
    Live true or lie well.

BANNED

Still this is all Gunn’s fault for writing the tweets and not deleting them.
    The fact that he didn’t delete the tweets until they were exposed means he hadn’t changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    Gunn's tweets wouldn't have interfered with anything other than the few weeks following their reveal. Disney's actions will have far more dire results in the long term. Waiting for the nazis to get bored and find a new cause was the way to go. But Disney fed the sharks, they'll never go away now.
    I'd reverse that. I'd say the pedo joke thing will interfere with the movie more. I think if they didn't fire Gunn, the whole issue would die down now... but when the movie comes out it'll pop up again and rather than promoting the movie Disney will have to spend their time explaining the pedo jokes their director made a million times.

But as far as sharks being fed... that's how social media will pretty much always work from now on. That genie is out of the bottle and there's no putting it back. It's not even a Disney thing. If you thoughtlessly let something out there, and sooner or later there's a good chance it will come back to bite you in the behind.

In a way more long term good MIGHT be achieved if people like Rosanna and Gunn end up as cautionary tales for celebrities (and even non celebrities) on social media. THink twice about what you post.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    That...didn't answer my question, but that could be my fault.

Usually when people refer to the Roseanne incident, I've noticed a tendency to say "ABC fired Roseanne".
    Well, ABC did fire Roseanne.
    Whereas in this case it was Disney that stepped in and went over Marvel Studios head. Marvel wants to keep Gunn.

Incredible Member

The fact that he didn’t delete the tweets until they were exposed means he hadn’t changed.
    If everyone who's ever written something stupid was fired from their jobs, there would be a hell of a big unemployment line. Everyone who works with Gunn seems to think he's a great guy. I'd trust them more than I'd trust the smear campaign. All that aside, I wonder why celebrities are even on social media. Everything they write is examined under a microscope because there will be someone out there just waiting to see them fall. Pretty much daily I'll read of an actor or other celeb quitting Twitter or Facebook because of some kind of backlash. Why do they open themselves up for this kind of thing in the first place?

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

All it means is that someone with thousands of tweets didn't remember a couple of ones he made a decade ago.

All it means is that someone with thousands of tweets didn't remember a couple of ones he made a decade ago.
    Even though he apologized for them as recently as 2013-14?

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    If everyone who's ever written something stupid was fired from their jobs, there would be a hell of a big unemployment line. Everyone who works with Gunn seems to think he's a great guy. I'd trust them more than I'd trust the smear campaign. All that aside, I wonder why celebrities are even on social media. Everything they write is examined under a microscope because there will be someone out there just waiting to see them fall. Pretty much daily I'll read of an actor or other celeb quitting Twitter or Facebook because of some kind of backlash. Why do they open themselves up for this kind of thing in the first place?
    This is why people like Gunn and Rosanna act as cautionary tales. People (even non celebrities) need to understand that if you say or do something stupid on social media, there can be real consequences. Gunn understands that as well as anyone... he's made it no secret that he wants to hold others accountable over what they say or do on social media.

And that's why it's probably a good idea for a lot of celebrities to avoid social media unless they REALLY know what they are doing. There are a lot of instances where celebrities can use it to their advantage, but it's a dangerous double edged sword unless you're smart and careful. For 8 out of 10 celebries, the risk probably outweights the rewards. Hopefully in the future people will learn from Gunn and Rosannes mistakes and be more careful.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    People rarely get fired because of stupid tweets.
    Gunn didn’t get fired because the tweets were stupid.
    He was fired for the nature of the tweets.