Page 136 of 172 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140146 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 2577

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    The writer of that article seems clueless. Why would you come up with lines like: "he doesn't realize how replaceable he is on a franchise like Guardians with a company as powerful as Disney." when the guy doesn't want to work for Disney in the first place?
    The guy comes from the WWE. He knows all about people being replaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    RIP Drax. His last appearance will be in the Avengers 4. Killed by his loyalty and integrity. Made me laugh. That's two victims from Cernovich's master play.
    https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...ork-for-disney
    This really even news?

He has been talking along these lines. He is still under contract.

BANNED

The film is indefinitely delayed. RIP the entire franchise for the moment.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I still stand by what I said when this first started, in the middle of it, and now...

What Gunn said was deplorable but under no circumstance do I believe he supports pedophilia and I believe he was sincere in his apology. We live in a society where we overreact to everything and in this situation I think the apology was sufficient especially given that it occurred years before he even directed GotG. I think Disney made a serious mistake here and I hope that they're able to salvage the GotG franchise, because it is easily in the upper tier of quality of the MCU.

Glenn Close chipping in.

https://screenrant.com/guardians-gal...ey-james-gunn/

Disney can't seem to make this go away.
    Live true or lie well.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    Glenn Close chipping in.

https://screenrant.com/guardians-gal...ey-james-gunn/

Disney can't seem to make this go away.
    It’s funny because Disney stupidly trying to avoid controversy simply created more for themselves.

Honesty, for me, it’s less about politics (which is still important because not bowing to a racist alt-right troll is a good way to stand up against them) than the “culture of outrage”. Maybe it’s a generational thing but I grew up in an era where comedians could joke about almost anything and people would understand they were just jokes.

Nowadays, people get offended and foam at the mouth because a personality has put on the wrong clothes. Like seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It’s funny because Disney stupidly trying to avoid controversy simply created more for themselves.

Honesty, for me, it’s less about politics (which is still important because not bowing to a racist alt-right troll is a good way to stand up against them) than the “culture of outrage”. Maybe it’s a generational thing but I grew up in an era where comedians could joke about almost anything and people would understand they were just jokes.

Nowadays, people get offended and foam at the mouth because a personality has put on the wrong clothes. Like seriously?
    I wouldn't say the past was any better. Look at all the times Lenny Bruce got arrested for just telling jokes on stage. And that is just the most well known case of a person being arrested
    for telling jokes. Some other examples include George Carlin being arrested for his Seven Dirty Words routine. Mae West spent 10 days in jail for a play she wrote and performed.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I wouldn't say the past was any better. Look at all the times Lenny Bruce got arrested for just telling jokes on stage. And that is just the most well known case of a person being arrested
    for telling jokes. Some other examples include George Carlin being arrested for his Seven Dirty Words routine. Mae West spent 10 days in jail for a play she wrote and performed.
    I guess there were still issues back then. But I think these had more to do with violating obscenity laws at the time (some of which are still in existence if I'm not mistaken).

But that kind of reinforces the point that we should be beyond some of the "outrage" and "pearl clutching" that i see a lot of these days.

On shows like SNL, there was heavy political and racial comedy back in the day and comedians like Richard Pryor (funny thing about him is he stopped using the N-word after a while), Eddie Murphy and even the aforementioned George Carlin made jokes that in today's climate will cause controversy and outrage. Heck, we are already seeing some push back against the likes of Dave Chapelle and Jerry Seinfeld.

The controversy is understandable (up to a point) but the outrage is something i will never understand.
    Last edited by Username taken; 09-04-2018 at 02:47 AM.

I think the difference is today there's social media, so it gives anyone outraged more of a platform. Especially celebrities. So for better or for worse, anything even a small number of people have grievences about potentially gets a huge microphone.

Though in this specific instance, I think you can sort of argue Gunn was intentionally trying to offend to some degree as he seemingly was trying to incite a reaction at the time.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think the difference is today there's social media, so it gives anyone outraged more of a platform. Especially celebrities. So for better or for worse, anything even a small number of people have grievences about potentially gets a huge microphone.

Though in this specific instance, I think you can sort of argue Gunn was intentionally trying to offend to some degree as he seemingly was trying to incite a reaction at the time.
    Oh, he definitely was trying to cause a reaction at the time. His movies were similar too, they were basically exploitation designed to shock.

The issue for me is freaking out about it and punishing the individual almost a decade after. That doesn't track with me.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I would argue it's more so everyday people than celebrities though, they're the ones who's using social media as a weapon more so than celebrities, cause now they have the resources to be heard, for better or for worse. But otherwise your point sums up everything. Social media opened up walls in terms of specific entertainment "spaces", so now nothing is truly isolated anymore, and everything is under a microscope in terms of public culture. (if that makes any sense, cause that's the only way i can describe it lol).

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Heck, we are already seeing some push back against the likes of Dave Chapelle and Jerry Seinfeld.

The controversy is understandable (up to a point) but the outrage is something i will never understand.
    It's happening retroactively too, a lot of people now look back at Eddie Murphy's routine with disdain. I'm convinced this would have happened to Bernie Mac, a beloved comedian who would be reviled today.

No way that routine would fuckin fly today. And that was not that long ago.

Never mind.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    I would argue it's more so everyday people than celebrities though, they're the ones who's using social media as a weapon more so than celebrities, cause now they have the resources to be heard, for better or for worse. But otherwise your point sums up everything. Social media opened up walls in terms of specific entertainment "spaces", so now nothing is truly isolated anymore, and everything is under a microscope in terms of public culture. (if that makes any sense, cause that's the only way i can describe it lol).
    Hell, social media helped topple governments, it's definitely a double edged sword but i guarantee you corporations, and governments wish they could control it, as far as how much info spreads to the public. It's done a lot of good for social movements, but it can also be dangerous too i guess when it comes to moral outrage and browbeating.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    Hell, social media helped topple governments, it's definitely a double edged sword but i guarantee you corporations, and governments wish they could control it, as far as how much info spreads to the public.
    They don't have to control it. They just have to seize the opportunities it creates. (The Arab Spring was largely co-opted by illiberal forces early on.)

While everyone was worried about 1984 we got Brave New World . . . a cacophony of information where truth is increasingly difficult to sort out from the noise.

Meanwhile, Facebook is being used to facilitate genocide in Myanmar.

There may come a point where these platforms are not morally defensible.
    Last edited by Tuck; 09-04-2018 at 12:10 PM. Reason: swapped out 'use' for 'control'