Page 64 of 172 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114164 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    i don't want to be one of those people who complain about "political correctness" but not too long ago people were allowed to use offensive humor without facing this amount of backlash or people who took them seriously.
    And I hope you realize that the fault for the shift in this mentality does not rest solely at the "durr Nazis!" feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders View Post
    I hope you’re kidding

This whole time I've been hoping you were.

I guess neither of us are.

Explain why their should be repercussions for bad jokes.

Speaking of the aristocrats, check this out. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436078/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

Look on the cast and crew and you'll see a lot of names familiar to Disney fans.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

"People shouldn't be allowed to tell jokes that I don't think are funny..."
    Whatever dude he can tell all the pedo jokes he wants now that he's fired and isn't coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Whatever dude he can tell all the pedo jokes he wants now that he's fired and isn't coming back.
    And that's just a great message to send.

"I know you haven't done anything wrong in years, but you did things wrong years ago so now you're fired. Might as well go back to doing horrible things."

Extraordinary Member

And that's just a great message to send.

"I know you haven't done anything wrong in years, but you did things wrong years ago so now you're fired. Might as well go back to doing horrible things."
    Well I'm glad you admit what he did was horrible. Thing is he should have had the presence of mind to take those tweets down and he'd most likely still have a job. But he didn't care and it cost him. Not for nothing it's the far left who made a practice of condemming ppl for things they might have done decades ago but Gunn didn't care about those ppl. He was down with that program...oh the irony.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    And I hope you realize that the fault for the shift in this mentality does not rest solely at the "durr Nazis!" feet.
    As I said, Nazis have weaponized outrage culture.

Well I'm glad you admit what he did was horrible. Thing is he should have had the presence of mind to take those tweets down and he'd most likely still have a job. But he didn't care and it cost him. Not for nothing it's the far left who made a practice of condemming ppl for things they might have done decades ago but Gunn didn't care about those ppl. He was down with that program...oh the irony.
    Siding with a rape apologist so you can "own the libs."

Not for nothing it's the far left who made a practice of condemming ppl for things they might have done decades ago
    Eh . . . if you limit history to the history of social media, then maybe.

But this is old school "church lady" nonsense that goes back to the Hayes Code and the Comics Code Authority and obscenity laws and getting Mighty Mouse canceled because he's "on cocaine" (look it up . . . actual argument made against the show )

Just because there's been a recent "church lady" infection on the left side of the aisle, doesn't mean that's where this all originated. The hypocrisy is really anyone who plays this game.

This whole time I've been hoping you were.

I guess neither of us are.

Explain why their should be repercussions for bad jokes.

Speaking of the aristocrats, check this out. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436078/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

Look on the cast and crew and you'll see a lot of names familiar to Disney fans.
    There can be repercussions for bad jokes, because there can be repercussions for the people employing the person who made the bad jokes. If the employer feels those repercussions outweight the value of the person telling the jokes, they can cut their loses.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    There can be repercussions for bad jokes, because there can be repercussions for the people employing the person who made the bad jokes. If the employer feels those repercussions outweight the value of the person telling the jokes, they can cut their loses.
    And when a company kowtows to Nazis, they can expect the controversy to continue. Disney has messed this up from Day One.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    And when a company kowtows to Nazis, they can expect the controversy to continue. Disney has messed this up from Day One.
    I imagine the rationale is that if they keep Gunn, the controversy will bleed into the movies debut. Instead of talking about the movie, they will be fielding questions about pedo jokes when doing the rounds promoting the movie. But if they replace Gunn long before the movie is even made, the controversy will likely die down by the time the actual movie comes out. Even if it does pop up again, the narrative of them replacing the director will be less distracting than explaining a million times over why the director made pedo jokes.

Honestly I think Disney was in somewhat of a no win situation here. THey will have to eat controversy one way or the other. I wouldn't entirely fault them for handling it either way.

BANNED

The only mistake Disney made was to hire this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I imagine the rationale is that if they keep Gunn, the controversy will bleed into the movies debut. Instead of talking about the movie, they will be fielding questions about pedo jokes when doing the rounds promoting the movie. But if they replace Gunn long before the movie is even made, the controversy will likely die down by the time the actual movie comes out. Even if it does pop up again, the narrative of them replacing the director will be less distracting than explaining a million times over why the director made pedo jokes.

Honestly I think Disney was in somewhat of a no win situation here. THey will have to eat controversy one way or the other. I wouldn't entirely fault them for handling it either way.
    I will. When a company releases multiple products that preach for redemption, atonement, and forgiveness, and then has an opportunity to practice those very concepts and chooses not to?

They absolutely did the wrong thing. They should absolutely be dragged for this from now until they make things right.

Incredible Member

Comepltey irrelevant. Nazi aren't inventing anything here. They're not protecting anybody. They're not making the world a better place. Nazis went out of their way to hurt somebody because that person said some stuff they didn't like.

You can either say that in the big scheme of things what the guy did was bad, but not important and move on, or you can support Nazis and assist them in hurting people.

You would think in this day and age "don't do what the nazis want you to do" wouldn't be a lesson you'd have to explain to people. Where did we go wrong?
    Let me count the ways. 1) Devaluing what Nazi actually means in conversation to the point where something called Godwins law exists (2) Using fear of Nazi's as a shield against someone being judged on their actions. (3)taking an extreme "fruit of the poison tree" approach to try to establish a faux moral authority in a situation that is based about a director making himself look like a pedophile through several different criteria/ whether he should've retained job security afterwards and conflating that with a pro/ anti Nazi stance. (4) Smearing your opponents as Nazi supporters despite explicit statements stating the exact opposite.

I'm starting to think some people here aren't particularly worried about Nazi's and are just looking to use fear mongering about them as a bludgeon to win internet arguments. If so, that is deeply pathetic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    As I said, Nazis have weaponized outrage culture.
    Hah. Not just them.

I know you're going to ignore that, and just repeat "But, but...Nazis!", but...well it's true.