Page 88 of 172 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298138 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 2577

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    What is your definition of "fine" in this case? Solo numbers?
    I believe the rough rule of thumb is that a movie breaks even if it doubles the budget. So I'd say if they can triple the budget, they're more than good.

Given the circumstances behind Gunn's firing, getting another big deal director is sure to be all but impossible. Whoever signs up to direct Guardians 3 is either going to be seen as a scab, or it will be made clear they're essentially shadow directing for Gunn (and they will still get a lot of hate anyway even if that is the case). And they can't change Gunn's script. Bautista has already threatened to walk if that happens (and I wouldn't be surprised if others joined him).

Sure, the movie might still happen, but it wouldn't be all that surprising if it didn't. Disney screwed this movie. Alan Horn screwed this movie.
    Ant-Man survived Wright's exit and got a sequel and perhaps more.

Avengers survived Whedon's exit and got 2 more sequels.

Iron Man survived Jon Favreau's exit and is the face of the MCU right now.

Thor survived Branagh's exit and got better, too.

Captain America survived Joe Johnston's exit and well, yeah, that franchise is doing well, too.

Guardians will survive without Gunn and given Marvel's track record, probably be better for it.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I believe the rough rule of thumb is that a movie breaks even if it doubles the budget. So I'd say if they can triple the budget, they're more than good.
    Guardians 1 made about $773 million at the box office.

Guardians 2 made about $863 million at the box office.

Do you think Guardians 3 has any hope of continuing this trend after everything? Because I don't. Disney screwed up a franchise that has earned them over $1.5 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Captain America survived Joe Johnston's exit and well, yeah, that franchise is doing well, too.

Guardians will survive without Gunn and given Marvel's track record, probably be better for it.
    None of the previous directors were in a situation like Gunn's. I know it may seem comparable on the surface, but it really isn't.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

These movies didn’t have a rebellious cast

Guardians 1 made about $773 million at the box office.

Guardians 2 made about $863 million at the box office.

Do you think Guardians 3 has any hope of continuing this trend after everything? Because I don't. Disney screwed up a franchise that has earned them over $1.5 billion.
    Certainly Guardians is in a tough position. That said, considering marvels overall track record I wouldn't be shocked at all if it did as well. If anything you can frankly argue a LOT Of marvel movies did BETTER when they replaced the director. Not to say the same will happen in this instance... but I wouldn't bet against marvel at this point.

Certainly Guardians is in a tough position. That said, considering marvels overall track record I wouldn't be shocked at all if it did as well. If anything you can frankly argue a LOT Of marvel movies did BETTER when they replaced the director. Not to say the same will happen in this instance... but I wouldn't bet against marvel at this point.
    This one's different. Because this one is political. You cannot separate that from this.

This one's different. Because this one is political. You cannot separate that from this.
    Certainly this situation is different. But again, marvels track record speaks for itself. I think that earns them something as far as the benefit of the doubt goes.

Incredible Member

Yes Guardians 3 is going to take a hit,how big a hit remains to be seen.And its not like the entire MCU is riding on this movie.I doubt Disney's going to lose sleep over a couple million less that they could have made.

Certainly this situation is different. But again, marvels track record speaks for itself. I think that earns them something as far as the benefit of the doubt goes.
    I don't. I've seen Thor: The Dark World.

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    Yes Guardians 3 is going to take a hit,how big a hit remains to be seen.And its not like the entire MCU is riding on this movie.I doubt Disney's going to lose sleep over a couple million less that they could have made.
    Given previous Guardians films, and given the MCU at a whole, Guardians 3 could have been looking at around a billion dollars.

Not anymore.

BANNED

Ah, but normally when they lose a director, they're the ones that get rid of him or her over creative differences.
    Here an outside force suddenly removed a key player in the future of the MCU. That is different.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    GotG 3 not happening isn't an option for Marvel as reportedly the script that Gunn handed in is meant to setup the direction the MCU goes post Avengers 4.
    Of all the problems Marvel and Disney face or potentially face at this point, this is the very easiest thing to adjust for. It's literally trivial if it comes to it (though it won't).

And the project itself is still reportedly using Gunn's script (and changing it will just lead to Bautista straight up walking away. And it wouldn't surprise me if others joined him in walking away).
    Bautista has said explicitly he will do what he is contractually obligated to do. There is no chance he walks away.

Given the circumstances behind Gunn's firing, getting another big deal director is sure to be all but impossible. Whoever signs up to direct Guardians 3 is either going to be seen as a scab, or it will be made clear they're essentially shadow directing for Gunn (and they will still get a lot of hate anyway even if that is the case). And they can't change Gunn's script. Bautista has already threatened to walk if that happens (and I wouldn't be surprised if others joined him).
    No one has threatened to walk, and no one under contract will walk. I would expect that part of the negotiation with Gunn about his departure would include his public approval of the new director. Some of us might not take that too seriously, but it will be sufficient to kill the story, and 99% of the potential audience will not care even at the moment, even fewer in 2-3 years.

If the movie is well-made and is entertaining, people will buy tickets to see it. As rightfully outraged as we all have a right to feel about what's happened, it's a pipe dream that that this issue will significantly impact the box office either direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    Guardians 3 may take a hit, but not because they changed directors. Because the new director isn't up to the job, perhaps, but Marvel has a pretty good track record of hiring directors.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Bautista has said explicitly he will do what he is contractually obligated to do. There is no chance he walks away.
    He also said he will demand to be released from his contract if Gunn's script isn't used.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    He also said he will demand to be released from his contract if Gunn's script isn't used.
    A demand that means nothing since Marvel doesn't have to accede to his demand.