Page 72 of 172 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 2577
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    The video is 22 minutes. Can we sum it up or link to most relevant parts?
    Her argument takes several twist and turns--and it's those twists and turns that are the important thing--but she essentially says Gunn is pervy as a comedian but she's pervy too (but maybe not at the same level) and she can see where he's coming from but that's not a place Disney is coming from, so if he stayed on the Marvel movies he would lose his distinctive voice; so he's free and that's why she's happy. Also toward the end she makes a defence for Roseanne. If you can't watch the whole thing, I understand, but she does a really good job of laying it all out in a fun way. So it's not a painful watch (just some dirty language, in keeping with the subject matter).

The video is 22 minutes. Can we sum it up or link to most relevant parts?
    "Won't somebody please think of the children?"

Also "But Roseanne."

While true, this isn't a justification for accepting that this is how the world is now.

On the one hand, I like the idea that people should at least behave as well as they would if they were saying these things in person. But in a world where more and more of what we do and say is permanently documented, we need to be far more understanding than we were in pre-digital times . . . and we're going the opposite direction. It's poisonous to a functioning society.
    We don't have a "functioning society." We have an ongoing "culture war."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That makes no sense.

He wasn't working for Disney when he tweetedthose things.

If past pedophilia jokes are grounds for firing, then that should hold for anyone.

Now Disney may not do that,but since you completely agree that firing Gunn was appropriate, you must also want MacFarlane fired. No matter what Disney actually does.
    I’ll try to be more clearer
    Disney can’t fire MacFarlane over the pedophile joke, because Fox already approved and boardcast the show.
    Yes they still can cancel the show, but I doubt they will.

If Disney would have approved and broadcast Gunn’s tweets, I would be against his firing.
    Last edited by Raiders; 08-18-2018 at 07:12 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The article Bautista has linked to multiple times should be required reading for this topic.

https://screenrant.com/disney-not-re...arvel-mistake/

Disney Not Rehiring James Gunn is a Big Mistake for Marvel (And Beyond)

(More at the link.)
    Future ideas scrapped, disgruntled returning cast, movie pushed back, more directors leery working for a weak-willed company. Disney got CONNED big time!

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders View Post
    Disney can’t fire MacFarlane over the pedophile joke, because Fox already approved and boardcast the show.

If Disney would have approved and broadcast Gunn’s tweets, I would be against his firing.
    One could argue that Disney approved of Gunn when they hired him in the first place.

In fact I am arguing that right now. Are you aware of what his Pre-Guardians movies were like?

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders View Post

So you're not against pedophile jokes, just the circumstances they are told in. Cartoons okay, tweets not okay.

I know Disney can do what they want. Just trying to figure why you approve of it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So you're not against pedophile jokes, just the circumstances they are told in. Cartoons okay, tweets not okay.

I know Disney can do what they want. Just trying to figure why you approve of it.
    I’m totally against pedophile jokes. But if an employer approves the jokes for their business model, that employer can’t justify firing that person for those same jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Future ideas scrapped, disgruntled returning cast, movie pushed back, more directors leery working for a weak-willed company. Disney got CONNED big time!
    Disney was going to lose here either way.

That said, Disney will be just fine. Marvel studios is a big machine, and they simply have to replace one part with another. They've had to replace directors before ... and frankly you can argue in a lot of instances it was for the better. Not saying it will necessarily be the case here, but throw the Thor Ragnorock in there and I'll bet it will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Disney was going to lose here either way.

That said, Disney will be just fine. Marvel studios is a big machine, and they simply have to replace one part with another. They've had to replace directors before ... and frankly you can argue in a lot of instances it was for the better. Not saying it will necessarily be the case here, but throw the Thor Ragnorock in there and I'll bet it will be just fine.
    What would Disney have lost if they ignored Cernovich?

The article Bautista has linked to multiple times should be required reading for this topic.

https://screenrant.com/disney-not-re...arvel-mistake/

Disney Not Rehiring James Gunn is a Big Mistake for Marvel (And Beyond)

(More at the link.)
    "but this is still Disney, a company unused to screw-ups on this level,"

That one line shows this person is talking from their anger that Gunn was fired due to the scum from the Alt-Right and not a place of facts but purely emotions. Disney isn't use to this level of screw up come on Euro Disney and the way that backfired same for Disney's America and WestCot which were such screw ups they never happened. How about Victor Salva and Powder? As for the idea of a disgruntled cast outside of Bautista the rest while showing support for Gunn aren't making a stink and aren't going to punish Marvel Studios over this. Also this was James Gunn not Kevin Feige it's a blow to Marvel Studios but not the dramatized blow they are making out to be heck with the FF and X-Men coming home the plans for the MCU have probably changed drastically anyways then what Gunn was involved in originally. It's awful what happened to Gunn and it's sad his unique vision won't be part of Guardians 3 but seriously this is no fatal blow for Marvel or especially Disney.

As for Bautista maybe Disney will sever ties it's not like Drax can't be replaced "Cough Korg and Miek Cough"
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 08-18-2018 at 09:13 PM.

The millions of families who parents now know the Guardians director a film they take their kids too make Pedo Jokes and they won't research deeper than that they never do but if they did they'd learn one of those "jokes" involved an sex act between a child and the Giving Tree a name once used to describe Groot. Cernovich is scum but it doesn't change the position Disney was on once the general public learned of Gunn's past tweets.

They get bad press, and will perhaps lose a few viewers who might have taken offense to the tweets. And of course, they are getting bad press and will likely lose a few viers by firing him as well. Again, Disney to a degree loses either way. It's a matter of them picking their poison.

But it's Diseny, so they can take the hit either way and I'm sure the movie will still do just fine. It's not the first time they have had to replace a director, and every other time it's worked out just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The millions of families who parents now know the Guardians director a film they take their kids too make Pedo Jokes and they won't research deeper than that they never do but if they did they'd learn one of those "jokes" involved an sex act between a child and the Giving Tree a name once used to describe Groot. Cernovich is scum but it doesn't change the position Disney was on once the general public learned of Gunn's past tweets.
    So rather than trying to defend Gunn, they threw him under the bus. So now they are the company that let that horrible guy make several movies for them. If he's a bad guy now, then he was a bad guy when he made the first two Guardians.

So if movies made by him are bad, they're just told people not to watch what where two wildly loved movies anymore. And if somebody shoudln't be watching those two, why watch the next sequel? It's still based on stuff he did, even if they come up with an entirely new script.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    As opposed to the millions of parents who know that Johnny Depp was accused of beating his wife up?

And the thing only blew up after Disney announced they were firing Gunn. The controversy would probably be over by now if they had just ignored it, but they just made it a bigger story and drew more attention to it. Not to mention if they're using his script his name will still be in the film.