Page 86 of 172 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 2577
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The fact that they had Gunn do it certainly means they had a lot of faith in his ability. But that hardly means they don't believe there isn't another director alive who can do the job.
    One thing though: Marvel Studios didn't fire him and I doubt they think he's easily replacable. And I bet they'd give up half the X-Men to get him back, because they have seen what happened with Solo.

Stick Taika in there from Thor Ragnorak...
    Hhe does not strike me as the kind of guy who would take that job under these circumstances.
    Last edited by Carabas; 08-20-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    One thing though: Marvel Studios didn't fire him. And I bet they'd give up half the X-Men to get him back, because they have seen what happened with Solo.
    I wouldn't doubt that at all. Gunn did a great job, and based on things Gunn said it sounds like they were planning on expanding Gunns little cosmic corner of the MU. So I do imagine Disney put a bit of a crimp in marvels future plans.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

The fact that they had Gunn do it certainly means they had a lot of faith in his ability. But that hardly means they don't believe there isn't another director alive who can do the job.

Stick Taika in there from Thor Ragnorak, and I'll bet the movie will do just fine. I don't mean to diminish Gunn by saying he can't be replaced... again, he did a very very very good job. And that can't be taken away from him regardless of what stupid tweets he may have done in the past. But I don't think we can assume there isn't a director alive that can't capably take over the movie. Again, movie franchise get new directors all the time.
    I disagree about Taika, but I don't think he'd want to take over for Gunn anyway. I think a lot of directors would feel the same way.

I'm sure they could find a director to finish the movie, but I think most of the talented ones will be staying away. The job is going to be a poisoned chalice.

Stick Taika in there from Thor Ragnorak, and I'll bet the movie will do just fine. I don't mean to diminish Gunn by saying he can't be replaced... again, he did a very very very good job. And that can't be taken away from him regardless of what stupid tweets he may have done in the past. But I don't think we can assume there isn't a director alive that can't capably take over the movie. Again, movie franchise get new directors all the time.
    That comment you were replying to was about his writing, not directing.

I keep see the suggestion of Taika but he still isn't the same as Gunn, Taika is excellent at working with actors and getting the funny out of them but I don't he's a big enough comic fan to write a script for one. I wonder what Disney will make of his funny Hitler film when it comes out.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    I disagree about Taika, but I don't think he'd want to take over for Gunn anyway. I think a lot of directors would feel the same way.

I'm sure they could find a director to finish the movie, but I think most of the talented ones will be staying away. The job is going to be a poisoned chalice.
    He's just the first name that popped up in my mind. Obviously I have no idea whether or not he wants the job.

But if marvel can't find a good enough director and the movie bombs they yeah... I think we can objectively say firng Gunn was a mistake. We'll see. Based on marvels track record though, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise. I don't doubt that this isn't creating a potentially difficult situation... but marvel hasn't bombed in this regard yet.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

He's just the first name that popped up in my mind. Obviously I have no idea whether or not he wants the job.

But if marvel can't find a good enough director and the movie bombs they yeah... I think we can objectively say firng Gunn was a mistake. We'll see. Based on marvels track record though, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise. I don't doubt that this isn't creating a potentially difficult situation... but marvel hasn't bombed in this regard yet.
    I don't know if the movie will bomb, the question is what it will do to the franchise from there. X-Men: The Last Stand was financially successful, but the movie was a pretty crappy end to what would have been a great trilogy and basically wrecked the series forcing them to reboot everything with First Class/DoFP.

I don't know if the movie will bomb, the question is what it will do to the franchise from there. X-Men: The Last Stand was financially successful, but the movie was a pretty crappy end to what would have been a great trilogy and basically wrecked the series forcing them to reboot everything with First Class/DoFP.
    SUre, if the movie ends up crappy we can chalk that up as a huge misstep too.

But again, I think marvel has delivered pretty well with it's movies thus far. They've all been criticially and commercially successful. So I won't assume the next Guardians will be bad just yet... I think marvel has earned the benefit of the doubt in this regard. Again, I don't discount the fact that they are in a tough situation. But that doesn't mean marvel can't deliver. We'll see.

But as far as the franchise beyond the next movie... in theory it doesn't have to go anywhere beyond it. Avengers thus far has been the only franchise to go past 3. They can wrap up Guardians in the next movie, and continue the cosmic stuff with Strange and the Fantastic Four. Because marvel is getting X-Men and Fantastic Four back, there's no shortage of material for them to play with now. So they're in good shape even if Guardians ends here.

It may be a good a time as any to end it, as a lot of the more established marvel franchises seem to be ending with this phase. Not to say that it HAS to end... it's of course still entirely possible they can find writers and directors to carry it on. But if they end it here, I think marvel would be fine.

Unless Bautista ends up singing the praises of the new director as some thread-the-needle only acceptable replacement, the job will be viewed similarly to taking scab work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Unless Bautista ends up singing the praises of the new director as some thread-the-needle only acceptable replacement, the job will be viewed similarly to taking scab work.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they did ask Bautista/cast for suggestions on a new director. Pattie Jenkins was hired to keep Natalie Portman happy (which then pissed her off by firing her), Shane Black came on board on the suggestion of Robert Downey Jnr and Hemsworth suggested Taiki as he was a fan of Boy and thought Thor was stale and needed more comedy.

BANNED

In Avengers 4, I wonder will all the GOTG characters comeback alive or will some of them comeback be played by different actors.
    Bautista and Pratt seems they are already making difficult for the new director.

I think Pratt wants out of the MCU. He’s a bankable star now. Because he signed a multi movie deal, his pay for GOTG is way below what he can get elsewhere. He renegotiated his deal with Universal for Jurassic World, he was paid $10 million. Disney won’t renegotiate. He also was paid $10 million for Passengers. Disney is not paying him nearly as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders View Post
    In Avengers 4, I wonder will all the GOTG characters comeback alive or will some of them comeback be played by different actors.
    Bautista and Pratt seems they are already making difficult for the new director.

I think Pratt wants out of the MCU. He’s a bankable star now. Because he signed a multi movie deal, his pay for GOTG is way below what he can get elsewhere. He renegotiated his deal with Universal for Jurassic World, he was paid $10 million. Disney won’t renegotiate. He also was paid $10 million for Passengers. Disney is not paying him nearly as much.
    $10mill for Passengers shows he's not that bankable of a star.

Dsney has renegotiated pay before, the original Avengers all got a pay bump.

They have already filmed Avengers 4, if there are different actors for GOTG 3 they want in A-IW 4, they will have to reshoot. Which could be difficult if they interact with the rest of the cast.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    $10mill for Passengers shows he's not that bankable of a star
    Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    They have already filmed Avengers 4, if there are different actors for GOTG 3 they want in A-IW 4, they will have to reshoot. Which could be difficult if they interact with the rest of the cast.
    Not to mention how unhappy the rest of the cast would be if Pratt/Bautista (or any one of the stars, really) were replaced over this. That would be a terrible way to run a movie studio and would only work to guarantee that Guardians 3 fails.

If the actors want out, then after the next Guardians movie thry probably should just let the franchise to off into the sunset. With marvel getting the Xmen and FF, they probably have more IP's than they know what to do with anyways.

And we already know who Starlords dad is. Thanos presumably will be beaten in the next Avengers movie. So really, you can argue it's a good spot to just end things.