Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fandango's Female Superheroes Poll

This is a week old, but here goes. Movie ticket service Fandango ran a poll on favourite female movie superheroes and supervillains, with the following results as reported by Newsarama:

Favorite Female Superhero Performances:

1. Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman (“Wonder Woman”)
    2. Zoe Saldana as Gamora (“Guardians of the Galaxy”)
    3. Letitia Wright as Shuri (“Black Panther”)
    4. Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow (“The Avengers”)
    5. Hailee Steinfeld as Spider-Gwen (“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”)
    6. Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch (“Avengers: Age of Ultron”)
    7. Evangeline Lily as The Wasp (“Ant-Man and the Wasp”)
    8. Holly Hunter as Elastigirl (“The Incredibles”)
    9. Dafne Keen as X-23 (“Logan”)
    10. Zazie Beetz as Domino (“Deadpool 2”)

Favorite Female Supervillain Performances:

1. Cate Blanchett as Hela (“Thor: Ragnarok”)
    2. Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn (“Suicide Squad”)
    3. Anne Hathaway as Catwoman (“The Dark Knight Rises”)
    4. Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman (“Batman Returns”)
    5. Kathryn Hahn as Doc Ock (“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”)
    6. Rebecca Romijn as Mystique (“X-Men”)
    7. Carrie Coon as Proxima Midnight (“Avengers: Infinity War”)
    8. Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy (“Batman & Robin”)
    9. Hannah John-Kamen as Ghost (“Ant-Man and the Wasp”)
    10. Elena Anaya as Doctor Poison (“Wonder Woman”)

Some comments.

The poll likely ran during February, which might explain the absence of Mera, but on the other hand both Spider-Gwen and Doc Ock from Into the Spider-Verse turned up, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

Not surprising at all to find Gal Gadot on top; if the poll had been held later this year Brie Larson might have had a chance to unseat her, but other than that I see no character that could touch her. I'm a little surprised by only one woman from the Black Panther cast among the heroines, but that might come down to the methodology used. And Dafne Keen as X-23 definitely deserved to be higher up.

Among the villains it's slimmer pickings, and I think it's telling that there are two 90s-era villains on the list here—otherwise everything on both lists are from 2012 or later. But it also shows the strength of characters like Catwoman and Poison Ivy.

And Margot Robbie clearly belongs on the lists, but I'm not sure she belongs to the villain list.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Astonishing Member

I'd swap Scarlett and Letitia and it's a toss up between Michelle and Cate, then Rebecca.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    This is a week old, but here goes. Movie ticket service Fandango ran a poll on favourite female movie superheroes and supervillains, with the following results as reported by Newsarama:

Favorite Female Superhero Performances:

1. Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman (“Wonder Woman”)
    2. Zoe Saldana as Gamora (“Guardians of the Galaxy”)
    3. Letitia Wright as Shuri (“Black Panther”)
    4. Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow (“The Avengers”)
    5. Hailee Steinfeld as Spider-Gwen (“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”)
    6. Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch (“Avengers: Age of Ultron”)
    7. Evangeline Lily as The Wasp (“Ant-Man and the Wasp”)
    8. Holly Hunter as Elastigirl (“The Incredibles”)
    9. Dafne Keen as X-23 (“Logan”)
    10. Zazie Beetz as Domino (“Deadpool 2”)

Favorite Female Supervillain Performances:

1. Cate Blanchett as Hela (“Thor: Ragnarok”)
    2. Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn (“Suicide Squad”)
    3. Anne Hathaway as Catwoman (“The Dark Knight Rises”)
    4. Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman (“Batman Returns”)
    5. Kathryn Hahn as Doc Ock (“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”)
    6. Rebecca Romijn as Mystique (“X-Men”)
    7. Carrie Coon as Proxima Midnight (“Avengers: Infinity War”)
    8. Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy (“Batman & Robin”)
    9. Hannah John-Kamen as Ghost (“Ant-Man and the Wasp”)
    10. Elena Anaya as Doctor Poison (“Wonder Woman”)

Some comments.

The poll likely ran during February, which might explain the absence of Mera, but on the other hand both Spider-Gwen and Doc Ock from Into the Spider-Verse turned up, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

Not surprising at all to find Gal Gadot on top; if the poll had been held later this year Brie Larson might have had a chance to unseat her, but other than that I see no character that could touch her. I'm a little surprised by only one woman from the Black Panther cast among the heroines, but that might come down to the methodology used. And Dafne Keen as X-23 definitely deserved to be higher up.

Among the villains it's slimmer pickings, and I think it's telling that there are two 90s-era villains on the list here—otherwise everything on both lists are from 2012 or later. But it also shows the strength of characters like Catwoman and Poison Ivy.

And Margot Robbie clearly belongs on the lists, but I'm not sure she belongs to the villain list.
    Mera might not be on there because she was one of the few things criticized about Aquaman. I didnt mind her but I also didnt like her. Heards acting couldnt compete with Mamoas charm.

I would probably move Zoe Saldana to the top, I just think that she runs more of the gamut emotionally. Gal Gadot is very good as Wonder Woman, but I think she's a limited actor and the script/director leaned into that. It was a great performance, but I think she had a lot of help. I'd probably put her third after Brie Larson. I know a lot of people didn't, but I thought she was incredible. Kind of like the reverse Gal Gadot. Her script was not doing her any favors and she still knocked it out of the park.

Wonder Woman coming in at number one doesn't surprise me although with the poll coming too late to include Mera or Captain Marvel, it sort of bypasses what people would be curious about, to see where they place.

At first I thought: No love for Batman '66 but that was mostly a television show, not a movie, and the one movie they did, the greatest Catwoman wasn't in it nor was Batgirl.

Most of the characters coming from 2012 or later is not surprising since there's not a lot of heroines in movies before that and the ones that were generally were not done well. It's kind of telling that, out of the entire list, only WW has had a solo movie although Black Widow will be getting one finally.
    Power with Girl is better.

I'd keep Gal Gadot on top as Wonder Woman because Gal embodies the soul of Wonder Woman. Even Gal herself out of costume, in all her talk show appearances--especially with Jimmy Fallon, radiates the charm and warmth Wonder Woman should have.

Won't see Captain Marvel until it arrives on Blu-Ray, but of course I'd suspect Bree Larson would place either #1 or #2 on the poll by moviegoers if it were taken right now.

I didn't see Spider-Verse yet either, but I suspect I'd place Mera on the list either at #5 or #6--ahead of Scarlet Witch, but behind Black Widow.

As far as omissions go, I'm surprised we don't see Jennifer Lawrence's version of Mystique on one of the lists.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I'd keep Gal Gadot on top as Wonder Woman because Gal embodies the soul of Wonder Woman. Even Gal herself out of costume, in all her talk show appearances--especially with Jimmy Fallon, radiates the charm and warmth Wonder Woman should have.

Won't see Captain Marvel until it arrives on Blu-Ray, but of course I'd suspect Bree Larson would place either #1 or #2 on the poll by moviegoers if it were taken right now.

I didn't see Spider-Verse yet either, but I suspect I'd place Mera on the list either at #5 or #6--ahead of Scarlet Witch, but behind Black Widow.

As far as omissions go, I'm surprised we don't see Jennifer Lawrence's version of Mystique on one of the lists.
    Hadn't thought of that. Lawrence moves the acting aspect of Mystique ahead by leaps and bounds.

I saw a lot of praise for Mera. The only ones that hated her were.. you know who. D3pp fanatics. I'd put her #2 after Gal.

Sad Faora from Man of Steel wasn't included. She was a fantastic villain. Definitely top 10 material.

Of course Gal as WW is #1. No other girl can touch her charisma.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I saw a lot of praise for Mera. The only ones that hated her were.. you know who. D3pp fanatics. I'd put her #2 after Gal.

Sad Faora from Man of Steel wasn't included. She was a fantastic villain. Definitely top 10 material.

Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post

Sure some people praised her alot of people bashed her acting as wooden. I think that has more to do with Mamoas charm casting a big shadow but Amber Heard was one if the things the movie got knocked for. I personally didnt mind her at all, she was fine. Nothing special but not bad either she did her job. We were there for the Mamoa show

I would say Faora was barely a side character but they got proxima midnight and Doc ock from spiderverse who just like Faora were barely chatacters. I'd put Faora over both of them but that's not saying much Proxima was a throw away character. Maw was the only one that got a name in the movie.

I like Gal alot, and Patty Jenkins knew her limits as an actress and played to them beautifully. I feel like Wan did the same for Mamoa. Hes it the greatest dramatic actor so Wan made sure to put him in situation where his charm can shine and worked well. I feel like Mamoa made a character that didnt havent much on the page work through sheer willpower and charm. Marvel did the same thing for Hemsworth they realized serious dramatic Thor wasnt working well with the audience so they leaned into Hemsworth strengrh as now hes more popular then ever
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 03-14-2019 at 01:34 PM.

I can't say Wasp would be in my personal top 10.

I mean, beyond having some cool moves in action I was more enthralled by Michelle Pfeiffer as Janet Van Dyne then I was Evangeline Lilly's Hope.

For good guys:

Never saw Deadpool, so no idea about Domino (although I was never big on the character in the comics). but I think the others were good choices. I think I'd push Black Widow higher, but I wouldn't push it. Agree that it would be interesting to see how Captain Marvel placed, had the movie been out then.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    And Dafne Keen as X-23 definitely deserved to be higher up.
    I agree.

For villains:

Some I never saw the movies from, but okay list I guess. My personal favorite character on the list was Ghost. I don't think Proxima Midnight made enough of an impression to make the list and I much prefer Jennifer Lawrence's take on Mystique to Rebecca Romijn's. Funny that Poison Ivy got on, since I thought that that version of the character and the movie were not very well-liked.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Some I never saw the movies from, but okay list I guess. My personal favorite character on the list was Ghost. I don't think Proxima Midnight made enough of an impression to make the list and I much prefer Jennifer Lawrence's take on Mystique to Rebecca Romijn's. Funny that Poison Ivy got on, since I thought that that version of the character and the movie were not very well-liked.
    I'd pick Romijn's Mystique over Lawrence in a battle of villainy, if only because Romijn's was an actual villain and not the "X-Man MVP" that Lawrence's is. Not that either are my favorite Mystique interpretations.

I think Uma Thurman's Ivy is a cult classic because of how delightfully hammy and sexy her Ivy was.

Ghost just doesn't register high on the villain scale for me, if only because of how they handled her in the movie where her "villainy" was so low-key compared to other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    For good guys:

Never saw Deadpool, so no idea about Domino (although I was never big on the character in the comics). but I think the others were good choices. I think I'd push Black Widow higher, but I wouldn't push it. Agree that it would be interesting to see how Captain Marvel placed, had the movie been out then.

I agree.

For villains:

Forgot about Ghost. I don't truly classify her as a villain though. Now, the thing about Proxima Midnight or whatever her/ his name is, these Thanos's henchmen type villains don't even register on my radar. There's really no background or characterization or development. To me, they aren't even really characters. They are just nifty looking costumes standing in the background. Same with the background Kree in CM including the one, whatever her name is, that says she never liked Captain Marvel to begin with. I mean, genuinely, how do these generic extras standing around in the background even qualify for a list of the biggest heroines and villainesses of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Sure some people praised her alot of people bashed her acting as wooden. I think that has more to do with Mamoas charm casting a big shadow but Amber Heard was one if the things the movie got knocked for. I personally didnt mind her at all, she was fine. Nothing special but not bad either she did her job. We were there for the Mamoa show

I would say Faora was barely a side character but they got proxima midnight and Doc ock from spiderverse who just like Faora were barely chatacters. I'd put Faora over both of them but that's not saying much Proxima was a throw away character. Maw was the only one that got a name in the movie.

I like Gal alot, and Patty Jenkins knew her limits as an actress and played to them beautifully. I feel like Wan did the same for Mamoa. Hes it the greatest dramatic actor so Wan made sure to put him in situation where his charm can shine and worked well. I feel like Mamoa made a character that didnt havent much on the page work through sheer willpower and charm. Marvel did the same thing for Hemsworth they realized serious dramatic Thor wasnt working well with the audience so they leaned into Hemsworth strengrh as now hes more popular then ever
    I don't read professional critics reviews so I wouldn't know or even care because I don't consider their opinion as better than mine. I saw most people really liking Amber as Mera. Sure, she might not be a great actress, but she really embodied Mera to me. Same with Gal as WW.

I really liked Faora in MOS and found her very memorable and badass. She had some of the best lines.