Page 56 of 172 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Really? So he was poking the bear when he drew 3 inches of wws bikini and Rucka lost his mind over it? I don't think so.
    He also kept drawing her with a sword after repeatedly being told not to.
    Also, the guy with editorial control trumps the guy doing the alternate covers.

And this was ages after the Manara stuff.
    Last edited by Carabas; 08-15-2018 at 12:15 AM.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    Your only acknowledging the jokes, not everything surrounding them that makes whether they're jokes questionable.

Most racist friendly president, most pedo-friendly director, given Gunns behaviour which you're deliberately ignoring the context of, sounds an apt comparison.

"Also, don't make an equivalence with child abuse and and domestic cases between 2 adults as some moral equivalence. It's not, full stop."

You didn't answer the babysitter question. Someone comes in with that history that isn't Gunn, all those suspicious connections to and coincidences regarding pedophilia, are you looking for the next babysitter or are you sticking with Gunns messy track record?

If you had apprehension that that other person wouldn't be as ready for sainthood as Gunn seems to be to you in that persons estimation, can you attempt to understand how this all looks very suspect, regardless of who Gunn pissed off, inspiring the highlight reel of his actions that isn't going to be undone?
    No, I wouldn't be worried leaving Gunn with any children. I'm capable of understanding that edgy humor isn't the same as actually molesting or wanting to molest children. And I don't think Pratt, Bautista, or any of the other people who know him would be as strongly defending him if they thought there was any chance it wasn't just offensive humor. And I think they know him better than you do.

If anyone's ignoring the context, it's you. You're acting like he attended multiple pedophile parties, when the photos Breitbart published were from a blog post he made talking about the different costume parties he attended, one of which was "to catch a predator" themed. I would think the fact that he was dressed as a priest would show he was making fun of it, and not actually advocating for child molestation.

And you still haven't answered how Disney casting several men with a history of domestic violence is "family-friendly."

Incredible Member

2 adults have a physical confrontation, someone repeatedly talks about molesting children nonchalantly or feigning gleefulness.

There's different concerns there, adults also have more agency and capability than children and I'm going to assume the levels of details and press coverage also differentiate the situations on what effect it could have on Disneys public image. But let's say they should've not hired Depp. They did, they probably figured Depps profile would outweigh any negative press around his marriage. They were right. They made a different estimation with Gunn with different circumstance, which they may gamble on the controversy dying down and bring him back. Their choice, for good or ill.

I didn't ask you Gunn, I asked you someone with this same situation that you don't know, that isn't a celebrity you're defending because fandom, politics, whatever the reason.

I also find it funny that 2 co-workers that maybe spent 8-10 months filming with him ever, then some press gigs, are these old friends that can attest to his personal life. Kevin Spacey was in the same room with Richard Dreyfus when unbeknownst to Dreyfus, Spacey was groping his teenage son. But they were in a play together, so Dreyfus obviously knew Spaceys character. I've had about enough of the celebrity worship for one night. Disneys a company, they can do what they like within the law to protect their image was my original point. It still stands despite how unreasonable you find it for reasons

I also find it funny that 2 co-workers that maybe spent 8-10 months filming with him ever, then some press gigs, are these old friends that can attest to his personal life.
    As opposed to you, who as far as I know has never met the guy making solid statements about his personal life?

I didn't ask you Gunn, I asked you someone with this same situation that you don't know, that isn't a celebrity you're defending because fandom, politics, whatever the reason.
    I will defend ANYONE'S right to make bad jokes and have an offensive sense of humor.

You didn't answer the babysitter question. Someone comes in with that history that isn't Gunn, all those suspicious connections to and coincidences regarding pedophilia, are you looking for the next babysitter or are you sticking with Gunns messy track record?
    I assure you, when it comes to looking for a babysitter, whether somebody told offensive jokes ten years ago and once went to a costume party in a tasteless costume wouldn't even be worth wasting a second thought about.

Fantastic Member

-Repeatedly joked about molesting children over a several year period.
    About twelve twitter jokes related to the subject over a three year period where he made about 10 000 tweets. That's like one joke every three months. I don't know whether or not that's a lot for a guy who made dark, twisted comedies for a living.

-One of his friends was a pedophile, a friend he coincidentally made jokes about sexually assaulting children to.
    This one does look bad, but without further evidence it's just guilt by association.

-Pedophilia themed party.
    Based on a tv-show that used to be really popular and was referenced on things like pop-culture all the time.

While I don't blame Disney for firing him, I don't really see evidence of anything more sinister than gross, stupid jokes. For examble his fake retweets about Stephen Blackehart going to NAMBLA or Peter Alton liking it when little boys touch his silly place aren't funny but they are pretty clearly meant to be jokes at the expense of his friends.
    Last edited by Papa Moai; 08-15-2018 at 05:50 AM.

There was an episode of The Big Bang Theory a while back in which the guys were tying to figure out a way to sell comic books to children. They hit upon the idea of getting a van and parking it at schools
    and giving out candy to lure children into the van so they could drive children to the comic book shop. Now it was pretty obvious what the joke was. They were too naive to realize this is how child molesters
    lure children. So should Jim Parson, Simon Helberg, Kunal Nayyer, Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady also be fired for making a joke about molesting children?

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    So should Jim Parson, Simon Helberg, Kunal Nayyer, Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady also be fired for making a joke about molesting children?
    If it means it'll getting rid of Big Bang Theory then yes.

Playing devils advocate I'd actually take the argument a step further and say any form of "exploitation" at the expenses of pedos should be banned, which would mean drama movies like Spotlight should be banned as its turning the Catholic child abuse scandal into a money making movie for entertainment proposes.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

2 adults have a physical confrontation, someone repeatedly talks about molesting children nonchalantly or feigning gleefulness.

There's different concerns there, adults also have more agency and capability than children and I'm going to assume the levels of details and press coverage also differentiate the situations on what effect it could have on Disneys public image. But let's say they should've not hired Depp. They did, they probably figured Depps profile would outweigh any negative press around his marriage. They were right. They made a different estimation with Gunn with different circumstance, which they may gamble on the controversy dying down and bring him back. Their choice, for good or ill.
    "2 adults have a physical confrontation"? It seems like you're trying to downplay what Depp and the others did, acting like there wasn't a victim involved. That's the difference between Gunn and them, he doesn't have any victims.

It wouldn't be a dealbreaker, no, especially if it was a long time ago and the person was a lot more mature now. I'd be more concerned about letting someone with a history of domestic violence watch my kids, though I guess that isn't as big a deal for you.

I also find it funny that 2 co-workers that maybe spent 8-10 months filming with him ever, then some press gigs, are these old friends that can attest to his personal life. Kevin Spacey was in the same room with Richard Dreyfus when unbeknownst to Dreyfus, Spacey was groping his teenage son. But they were in a play together, so Dreyfus obviously knew Spaceys character. I've had about enough of the celebrity worship for one night. Disneys a company, they can do what they like within the law to protect their image was my original point. It still stands despite how unreasonable you find it for reasons
    1) There were numerous stories of Spacey being a creep years before he was fired. There aren't any stories about Gunn like that.

2) Nobody came to Spacey's defense after the allegations came out, everyone came to Gunn's defense when his old tweets were reported on. I don't think Bautista would be flat-out putting his job on the line, attacking Disney and threatening to quit if his script wasn't used, if he didn't personally know Gunn enough to know what type of person he actually was. And people like Michael Rooker and Selma Blair knew him for a lot longer than 8 months.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Chris Pratt "it's not an easy time at Disney without Gunn"
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...uation-1135116

Yah I can imagine its hard on Pratt and the rest of the cast. Such an odd string of circumstances.

But it does make me wonder if they have just turned a blind eye to Disney's many similar shenanigans over the years but only care now that its personal for them.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Chris Pratt "it's not an easy time at Disney without Gunn"
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...uation-1135116
    I wish Pratt would answer one question:
    Would he leave his son alone with Gunn without second thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders View Post
    I don't know if anyone's asked him such a stupid question yet.

BANNED

If somebody would ask him he'd almost certainly say yes, and then you'd say he's just saying that and not really meaning it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    I don't know if anyone's asked him such a stupid question yet.
    It’s not a stupid question when he supports a guy who jokes and have a party about pedophilia.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    If somebody would ask him he'd almost certainly say yes, and then you'd say he's just saying that and not really meaning it.
    You don’t know what his answer would be and you don’t know my reaction.

It’s not a stupid question when he supports a guy who jokes and have a party about pedophilia.

You don’t know what his answer would be and you don’t know my reaction.
    Everybody knows your reactions by this point.