Page 85 of 172 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 2577
    Mighty Member

Disney are currently going through another brou ha ha regarding choosing a straight actor to play a gay character in one of their films. The mind boggles.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    But I'll repeat.... the many people who see this as an incredibly stupid decision aren't in the position Disney is in. You yourself earlier said we wouldn't know the consequennces of this, and that's precisely the point. We don't know the various forces that potentially effect Disneys decision making process. You argue it's all about ego, but how do you know it's not all about stockholders or advertisers? I can't say I know for a fact either... but the bottom line is that none of our opinions really count all that much because we're just a bunch of guys posting on an internet board. We're not the billion dollar company sitting at the center of the storm.

Will this have a negative effect on Disney? To a degree yes it probably will. And I'd argue the same potentially can be said about not firing him. But in all likelihood Disney will BARELY feel the difference either way, so they probably won't be losing too much sleep over it either way. They made a call, they stuck with it, and in the end the movie will probably still be a smash hit either way.
    I don't know that all this negative publicity won't have a negative impact on Guardians 3. Solo didn't exactly light the box office on fire, and its problems weren't as pronounced as GotG 3's are.

I think you're showing bias toward Disney's decision because it was the decision they made, and are sticking to, even though the evidence points to it being the wrong one. (The cast is clearly unhappy, which is not something you want for your film.)

I think it's okay to admit that Disney made the wrong decision on this issue. After all, we're just posters on a message board. What does our opinion matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I don't know that all this negative publicity won't have a negative impact on Guardians 3. Solo didn't exactly light the box office on fire, and its problems weren't as pronounced as GotG 3's are.

I think you're showing bias toward Disney's decision because it was the decision they made, and are sticking to, even though the evidence points to it being the wrong one. (The cast is clearly unhappy, which is not something you want for your film.)

I think it's okay to admit that Disney made the wrong decision on this issue. After all, we're just posters on a message board. What does our opinion matter?
    If the Guardians movie ends up bombing then yeah... we can say the evidence proves it was the wrong decision. If the movie does fine, then it really didn't matter in the end one way or the other. We'll see.

Astonishing Member

If the Guardians movie ends up bombing then yeah... we can say the evidence proves it was the wrong decision. If the movie does fine, then it really didn't matter in the end one way or the other. We'll see.

I think it's a shame we'll never see how many more films Gunn would have been involved in making with the MCU. http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/gua...accoon-origin/

Me personally I'm just so upset with how Disney is being played the fool. Spineless jellyfish.

BANNED

It's not going to help them attract talent. To what extent it effects them, we don't know. But it's definitely going to be negatively. The cast is also very unhappy (with Bautista being the most vocal about his unhappiness.)

Do you think that's a good thing? Making the talent unhappy? Do you think that can effect things positively? Because that sounds ridiculous.
    I’ve stated multiple times I do not agree with the decision. But, being it wasn’t my decision to make, I’m not conceited enough to think that I couldn’t be wrong in assessing things either.

Maybe GotG3 goes through, bombs, the actors quit, and because of that Disney creates something in its place that winds up being even better (a Marvel property or otherwise) because they can use the resources elsewhere. Who knows?

This event will likely not prevent anyone new from ever working at Disney. People with questionable Tweets in their history might be apprehensive, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I’ve stated multiple times I do not agree with the decision. But, being it wasn’t my decision to make, I’m not conceited enough to think that I couldn’t be wrong in assessing things either.

Maybe GotG3 goes through, bombs, the actors quit, and because of that Disney creates something in its place that winds up being even better (a Marvel property or otherwise) because they can use the resources elsewhere. Who knows?

This event will likely not prevent anyone new from ever working at Disney. People with questionable Tweets in their history might be apprehensive, however.
    On that...

The idea that there is a really sizable pool of talent that may have potentially worked for Disney that now will not?

Seems kinda shaky.

Right off the bat, you rule out most folks just based on that they would never want to deal with the downside up working for them to start with. Which was before any of this happened.

Fantastic Member

Once again, at this point it is clear this is all about ego. It's pretty clear to many that this was an incredibly stupid decision, and it's going to negatively effect Disney going forward. Just saying "Disney will be fine" is missing the point entirely.
    Yeah they might as well just cancelled GotG and rebooted way down the line. They've done too much damage. There isn't any director that's going to make Gunn's vision and the actors aren't going to be enthusiastic about doing so either. Not to mention the fans. I know I won't be buying tickets and I doubt I'm alone. They really self destructed a successful film franchise for almost no reason at all. But hey the people that don't watch these movies anyhow got their way so I guess it's ok.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    No it didn't what came to light before was accusation of racist and homophobic comments from before not the Pedophile jokes. This wasn't going away and given the performance of Solo and troubles with Lucasfilm there was no way Disney was risking their Marvel Golden Goose.
    But they've risked it now. How can you not see that? Do you really think it was Pizzagate believers buying all those tickets? There is already one director going on record that they wouldn't have anything to do with volume 3 but keep believing it will be all fine and dandy.

Tbh I don't think Guardians 3 will be a huge train wreck without Gunn. Gunn's script is (seemingly) still in place which is his biggest contribution to the films and the cast will have played their characters for the 5th time with this movie so they know and understand their roles. It's only if they scrap the script I could see the film going belly up.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    Tbh I don't think Guardians 3 will be a huge train wreck without Gunn. Gunn's script is (seemingly) still in place which is his biggest contribution to the films and the cast will have played their characters for the 5th time with this movie so they know and understand their roles. It's only if they scrap the script I could see the film going belly up.
    Gunn chose the music for Guardians and it's important for the franchise identity.

Marvel studios has replaced directors before, and the movies turned out fine (arguably better in a couple instances). Gunn did a very very good job, but he was just a cog in the machine. At this point I think marvel can replace pretty much everyone and they will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Gunn chose the music for Guardians and it's important for the franchise identity.
    Yeah, I actually mentioned that in a post a few pages back. Considering some people haven't realised it's not actually 80s music and fans were making serious suggestions like All Star at one point that could go very wrong.

To me the magic of Guardians is the redemption story that plays out in both 1 and 2 which comes from the script, so I can live without the soundtrack being to the previous standards as long as the story is right.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

Marvel studios has replaced directors before, and the movies turned out fine (arguably better in a couple instances). Gunn did a very very good job, but he was just a cog in the machine. At this point I think marvel can replace pretty much everyone and they will be fine.
    They had Gunn write the Guardians' scenes/dialogue in Infinity War, I don't think they would have done that if they thought anyone could handle the characters' voice or replicate his unique style.

BANNED

If they are still going to use his script then I do not believe for one nanosecond he was fired over those tweets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    They had Gunn write the Guardians' scenes/dialogue in Infinity War, I don't think they would have done that if they thought anyone could handle the characters' voice or replicate his unique style.
    The fact that they had Gunn do it certainly means they had a lot of faith in his ability. But that hardly means they don't believe there isn't another director alive who can do the job.

Stick Taika in there from Thor Ragnorak, and I'll bet the movie will do just fine. I don't mean to diminish Gunn by saying he can't be replaced... again, he did a very very very good job. And that can't be taken away from him regardless of what stupid tweets he may have done in the past. But I don't think we can assume there isn't a director alive that can't capably take over the movie. Again, movie franchise get new directors all the time.