Page 137 of 172 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,055 of 2577

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    They don't have to use it. They just have to seize the opportunities it creates. (The Arab Spring was largely co-opted by illiberal forces early on.)

While everyone was worried about 1984 we got Brave New World . . . a cacophony of information where truth is increasingly difficult to sort out from the noise.

Meanwhile, Facebook is being used to facilitate genocide in Myanmar.

There may come a point where these platforms are not morally defensible.
    These platforms of Facebook and Twitter are pretty much garbage, honestly. I use Facebook only to hang out in a couple of private comic book groups and Twitter I just...can't even deal with it. They are already at the point of being morally indefensible, to a large degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    It's happening retroactively too, a lot of people now look back at Eddie Murphy's routine with disdain. I'm convinced this would have happened to Bernie Mac, a beloved comedian who would be reviled today.

No way that routine would fuckin fly today. And that was not that long ago.
    At first I was going "Am I older than I realized? I don't see what would be considered outrageous about this."

Then right around 1:46 I went "Ah, there it is."

There is absolutely no reason that the few people at Disney who made this decesion can't say they thought more about and listened to others and decide to change their mind.

I am sure there are egos involved, but that shouldn't be the main factor.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    There is absolutely no reason that the few people at Disney who made this decesion can't say they thought more about and listened to others and decide to change their mind.

Especially since the decision was made within 19 hours of the initial tweet, without apparently anybody involved even having been talked to or anything.

Executive egos can be pretty big. Once they get involved all bets (as well as all common and financial sense) are off.

And Disney egos are notoriously off-the-charts. Disney was largely defined by egos over the years.

Disney is too big to apologize. Have they ever apologized for anything?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Disney is too big to apologize. Have they ever apologized for anything?
    Walt was Trump before Trump. Minus the Russians and bankruptcy.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Walt was Trump before Trump. Minus the Russians and bankruptcy.
    That is unfair. One can point to the faults and foibles of Walt Disney, but he was a true visionary that changed popular culture in a profound way.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

According to CBR there are reshoots of Avergers 4 going on in Atlanta.
    I think the GOTG members will not survive.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders View Post
    There were always going to be reshoots around nowish. That sadly has just become a part of how movies like this are made nowadays.

That is unfair. One can point to the faults and foibles of Walt Disney, but he was a true visionary that changed popular culture in a profound way.
    If he were around today creating Disney, it would never have happened.

Not being honest about somebody's hangups and poor choices is, sadly, why we have this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders View Post
    vvv Reshoots are normal ... vvv
    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    There were always going to be reshoots around nowish. That sadly has just become a part of how movies like this are made nowadays.
    I agree.

Before we go chicken little up in here, let's see what happens. I doubt any big story beat will be taken out. If the GotG were going to be drastically altered in Avengers 4, then that was the plan from the beginning. I suspect the stinger is the only thing that will have a change.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 09-07-2018 at 03:33 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Unlike other movies, things have changed with GOTG since principle photography.

The whole "Never Gonna Happen, But Let's Ask Anyway..." sideshow with Paul Feig was good for a needed laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    It's happening retroactively too, a lot of people now look back at Eddie Murphy's routine with disdain. I'm convinced this would have happened to Bernie Mac, a beloved comedian who would be reviled today.

No way that routine would fuckin fly today. And that was not that long ago.
    Yea alot more people still consider Raw and delirious as two of the greatest comedy specials of all time. The people who get outraged are always gonna be more vocal it's the same with YouTube comments. The negative voices are usually the loudest. Most people understand Eddie murphy wouldnt have written those jokes the same way today and wouldnt have used certain words. Not thay long ago but long enough ago that you wouldn't have thought twice about it at the time. Again most people if they were alive at the time are smart wnought to realize the context of the time.

Also in black culture it's way less of a big deal especially rap. I mean beanie Segal said some shit that made me cringe on the breakfast club. As far as I can tell nothing major came of it. To be fair his career died awhile back so maybe he wasnt a big enough target. Anyway imo Bernice Mac one of the greatest comedians of all time.
    But no these jokes wouldnt fly now but it also doesnt effect there reputation with most people. They understand the time and place of it.