Page 141 of 172 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145151 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,115 of 2577

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It's called "Pay or Play" I would think most of the principles have that in their contract. They get paid no matter what.
    So did Terrence Howard get paid no matter what? I'm not sure what the financial ramifications were here...but the only thing I ever hear is that he was screwed out of money. (Whatever you believe...he was cut loose and replaced, and I'm not sure he got paid).

In October 2008, Marvel Studios came to an agreement to film Iron Man 2, as well as their next three films, at Raleigh Studios in Manhattan Beach, California.[64] A few days later, Don Cheadle was hired to replace Terrence Howard.[16] On being replaced, Howard stated, "There was no explanation, apparently the contracts that we write and sign aren't worth the paper that they're printed on sometimes. Promises aren't kept, and good faith negotiations aren't always held up."[65] Entertainment Weekly stated Favreau did not enjoy working with Howard, often re-shooting and cutting his scenes; Howard's publicist said he had a good experience playing the part, while Marvel chose not to comment. As Favreau and Theroux chose to reduce the role, Marvel came to Howard to discuss lowering his salary – Howard was the first actor hired in Iron Man and was paid the largest salary. The publication stated they were unsure whether Howard's representatives left the project first or if Marvel chose to stop negotiating.[66] Theroux denied the part of the report which claimed the size of the role had fluctuated.[62] In November 2013, Howard stated that, going into the film, the studio offered him far less than was in his three-picture contract, claiming they told him the second will be successful, "with or without you," and, without mentioning him by name, said Downey "took the money that was supposed to go to me and pushed me out."[67]

In the end, it doesn't really matter. I'm curious how it works, I suppose. I always got the vibe that in the modern "franchising" era of movies...the multi-film contracts are contingent on a lot of things and not necessarily guaranteed. You may sign a six movie deal with marvel, and show up in three movies. That's how I assumed it played out...the blanket of the longer term deal is to protect the studio from having to recast, etc, if a property is a huge hit. In the end, it generally works out well for the actors too.
    Last edited by bobellis75; 09-11-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    So did Terrence Howard get paid no matter what? I'm not sure what the financial ramifications were here...but the only thing I ever hear is that he was screwed out of money. (Whatever you believe...he was cut loose and replaced, and I'm not sure he got paid).

In October 2008, Marvel Studios came to an agreement to film Iron Man 2, as well as their next three films, at Raleigh Studios in Manhattan Beach, California.[64] A few days later, Don Cheadle was hired to replace Terrence Howard.[16] On being replaced, Howard stated, "There was no explanation, apparently the contracts that we write and sign aren't worth the paper that they're printed on sometimes. Promises aren't kept, and good faith negotiations aren't always held up."[65] Entertainment Weekly stated Favreau did not enjoy working with Howard, often re-shooting and cutting his scenes; Howard's publicist said he had a good experience playing the part, while Marvel chose not to comment. As Favreau and Theroux chose to reduce the role, Marvel came to Howard to discuss lowering his salary – Howard was the first actor hired in Iron Man and was paid the largest salary. The publication stated they were unsure whether Howard's representatives left the project first or if Marvel chose to stop negotiating.[66] Theroux denied the part of the report which claimed the size of the role had fluctuated.[62] In November 2013, Howard stated that, going into the film, the studio offered him far less than was in his three-picture contract, claiming they told him the second will be successful, "with or without you," and, without mentioning him by name, said Downey "took the money that was supposed to go to me and pushed me out."[67]

In the end, it doesn't really matter. I'm curious how it works, I suppose. I always got the vibe that in the modern "franchising" era of movies...the multi-film contracts are contingent on a lot of things and not necessarily guaranteed. You may sign a six movie deal with marvel, and show up in three movies. That's how I assumed it played out...the blanket of the longer term deal is to protect the studio from having to recast, etc, if a property is a huge hit. In the end, it generally works out well for the actors too.
    If I remember correctly, he wanted out in the end and got paid, but not the box office take.

Usually, well at least in the few that have happened in Marvel, the guaranteed is granted but not the additional "bonus" money if you will.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post

I don't think Howard had a multi-picture deal. The deals for Iron Man 1 were for one movie with an option. Downey was paid $500,000 for IM 1 and $10 million of IM 2. It was the success of Iron Man that lead to the go ahead for the MCU and the signing of multi-picture deals with the new actors. Which is why the GOTC actors probably have Pay or Play deals. Of course they will lose outon any profit share they may have had if GOTG 3 doesn't go forward.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders View Post
    If GOTG 3 is scraped, than Disney is not on the hook to pay the actors.
    Studios are not going to agree to a multi-movie contract to pay an actor if a movie is never made.
    Franchises are not guaranteed.
    You don't actually understand how this works, do you?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    You don't actually understand how this works, do you?
    No, you dont know how it works.
    Disney or any studio is not going to agree to pay actors for movies that not made. It is stupid for any company to agree to pay a person millions for nothing.
    A three movie deal doesn’t guarantee three movies.
    If an intended franchise first movie is a mega flop, the studio can’t franchise it, are you saying the studio still have to pay the actors millions for each two movies that will never be filmed. Are you kidding me?
    Last edited by Raiders; 09-11-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Ok, is Punk'd making a comeback and this is really Ashton Kutcher? Everyone, wherever you are, look around to see if you can spot a film crew somewhere.

No, you dont know how it works.
    Disney or any studio is not going to agree to pay actors for movies that not made. It is stupid for any company to agree to pay a person millions for nothing.
    A three movie deal doesn’t guarantee three movies.
    If an intended franchise first movie is a mega flop, the studio can’t franchise it, are you saying the studio still have to pay the actors millions for each two movies that will never be filmed. Are you kidding me?
    Play or pay, it actually means guaranteed money. In exchange for actors agreeing to future films, their money is locked in.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guarantee_(filmmaking)
    Last edited by Kirby101; 09-11-2018 at 07:20 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Play or pay, it actually means guaranteed money. In exchange for actors agreeing to future films, their money is locked in.
    You really don't have much of an understanding of Hollywood.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guarantee_(filmmaking)
    This wasn’t a franchise, it not the same situation. This is one movie that the studio knew they were going to make.
    With franchises the studios don’t know if they will be making a second or a third movie.
    Last edited by Raiders; 09-11-2018 at 07:18 PM.

BANNED

This wasn’t a franchise, it not the same situation. This is one movie that the studio knew they were going to make.
    With franchises the studios don’t know if they will be making a second or a third movie.
    And we can add "franchise" to the list of words you don't know the meaning of...

The actors agree to make the movies, they turn down other movies to be available for those they agreed to. The studio guarantees money in exchange for them keeping their calanders clear.

Don't know how much simplier I can make it.

You can admit you don't have knowledge about these things and move on.

BANNED

The actors agree to make the movies, they turn down other movies to be available for those they agreed to. The studio guarantees money in exchange for them keeping their calanders clear.

Don't know how much simplier I can make it.

You can admit you don't have knowledge about these things and move on.
    I don’t think you know, you gave an example from Wikipedia (of all places) that has nothing to do with multi-movies deals.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    And we can add "franchise" to the list of words you don't know the meaning of...
    It depends on the context on how it’s used.

Raider, just about every single thing you've said in this topic has been wrong.

You've showed us time and time again that you have no clue what you're talking about.

Just, for once, listen to people.

Come on with that noise...

The idea that there is not an "If This Film Is Never Made..." compensation amount built into a multi-film deal is incredibly foolish. While there are some details that are going to be in the studio's favor, they could not keep actors around if there was not some monetary incentive for them to turn down potential work knowing that they might not get paid of "X" happens.

James Gunn should buy the Raiders with his severance pay and move them to Chicago.