Page 157 of 172 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158159160161167 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,355 of 2577

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If Disney is fine with that, is it really a mistake?

That's the thing to remember here... your criteria of what is right or wrong may not be exactly the same as Disneys. There may be other considerations at work here. And if they feel it's in their best interests to fire Gunn despite potentially making less money, then I'm not sure if it really matters to them. They'll almost certainly make hundreds of millions either way and continue to thrive, so they can afford to make this decision if they genuinely believe it is the right one to make. I'm not in any was completely dismissing the financial aspect of the equation... merely suggesting it might not be the sole deciding factor in Disney decision.
    I recognize that Disney has different priorities than me. I would never want to empower a smear campaign from a hate group. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I do like how you equate Disney maybe possibly making the wrong decision as equivalent to the odds of you winning the lottery. Just really drives home how much you don't believe it.
    Truthfully I don't think there's a right or wrong decision here. Merely decisions. They can hire him or fire him, make the movie or not make the movie and they will continue to thrive either way. To Disney I just don't believe it matters, so they can afford to made decisions not entirely based on profits.

Truthfully I don't think there's a right or wrong decision here. Merely decisions. They can hire him or fire him, make the movie or not make the movie and they will continue to thrive either way. To Disney I just don't believe it matters, so they can afford to made decisions not entirely based on profits.
    I recognize these are Disney's properties and Disney's money, but I think they sent a bad message. A lot of stories that Disney put their name on talk about redemption and atonement. But it's pretty obvious they don't believe in the messages of these stories.

You're right. It's not just about profits. It's about the messages they send. And the message they sent was "we don't believe in what we put our name to."

(And that is well within their rights.)

I recognize that Disney has different priorities than me. I would never want to empower a smear campaign from a hate group. But that's just me.
    About that...

https://www.pedestrian.tv/film-tv/ja...o-allegations/

‘GotG’ Director James Gunn Has Again Suggested Jared Leto Preys On Underage Girls
    While I know there might be something to some of those accusations, still has a bit of a "Smear Campaign" feel over here.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    About that...

https://www.pedestrian.tv/film-tv/ja...o-allegations/

While I know there might be something to some of those accusations, still has a bit of a "Smear Campaign" feel over here.
    We're defending Jared Leto now, thirty? Really?

("Both sides" at its finest!)

That Gunn is doing the new Suicide Squad also means Leto might not come back.

I recognize these are Disney's properties and Disney's money, but I think they sent a bad message. A lot of stories that Disney put their name on talk about redemption and atonement. But it's pretty obvious they don't believe in the messages of these stories.

You're right. It's not just about profits. It's about the messages they send. And the message they sent was "we don't believe in what we put our name to."

(And that is well within their rights.)
    Redemption and adornment don't necessarily translate to a complete lack of consequences. And I think Gunn himself would be the first to argue there should be consequences for what one might say on social media.

Some may agree with Disneys call and some may not, but thats just how it is in todays society. Its a cautionary tale for public figures ... be careful what you post on social media because it theoretically could return to bite you on the behind. Hopefully people will learn from the mistakes people like Gunn have made.

Redemption and adornment don't necessarily translate to a complete lack of consequences. And I think Gunn himself would be the first to argue there should be consequences for what one might say on social media.

Some may agree with Disneys call and some may not, but thats just how it is in todays society. Its a cautionary tale for public figures ... be careful what you post on social media because it theoretically could return to bite you on the behind. Hopefully people will learn from the mistakes people like Gunn have made.
    If Disney doesn't believe in redemption and atonement, they should stop putting their name on stories with that message.

If Disney doesn't believe in redemption and atonement, they should stop putting their name on stories with that message.
    Again, applying consequences to ones actions doesn't mean thry don't believe in redemption or atonement. One can work independently of another.

If a person commits a crime for example, even if he genuinely seeks redemption he still can theoretically go to jail. Obviously this isn't a crime, but same principal applies. Just feeling bad for making a mistake doesn't necessarily mean your mistake will have no repercussions whatsoever. Afain, Gunn himself has applied such standards to people on social media, which is why he understands and accepts it.

Again, moral of the story is be careful what you post on social media. The silver lining in all this being that because peoole like Gunn were fired, hopefully more people will be smarter on what they post. Cautionary tales are less effective when people aren't held accountable for their mistakes.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

If you're talking about Roseanne, again it's not remotely the same thing. She wasn't fired for all the offensive or horrible stuff she said in the past, she was fired for something she said in the present when she was currently employed by ABC.

Again, applying consequences to ones actions doesn't mean thry don't believe in redemption or atonement. One can work independently of another.

If a person commits a crime for example, even if he genuinely seeks redemption he still can theoretically go to jail. Obviously this isn't a crime, but same principal applies. Just feeling bad for making a mistake doesn't necessarily mean your mistake will have no repercussions whatsoever. Afain, Gunn himself has applied such standards to people on social media, which is why he understands and accepts it.

Again, moral of the story is be careful what you post on social media. The silver lining in all this being that because peoole like Gunn were fired, hopefully more people will be smarter on what they post. Cautionary tales are less effective when people aren't held accountable for their mistakes.
    I am but a simple poster on a message board and know I can't effect change on a corporation like Disney.

I am just saying that Disney had the perfect opportunity to practice what they preached. They chose not to. And now a rival studio has generated some excitement from their blunder. Maybe they could stand to learn a message of their own here.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

If Disney is fine with that, is it really a mistake?

That's the thing to remember here... your criteria of what is right or wrong may not be exactly the same as Disneys. There may be other considerations at work here. And if they feel it's in their best interests to fire Gunn despite potentially making less money, then I'm not sure if it really matters to them. They'll almost certainly make hundreds of millions either way and continue to thrive, so they can afford to make this decision if they genuinely believe it is the right one to make. I'm not in any was completely dismissing the financial aspect of the equation... merely suggesting it might not be the sole deciding factor in Disney decision.
    They created a huge pr disaster, lost one of their best directors to their competitors, and put their successful movie franchise in limbo. How is that not a mistake?

I am but a simple poster on a message board and know I can't effect change on a corporation like Disney.

I am just saying that Disney had the perfect opportunity to practice what they preached. They chose not to. And now a rival studio has generated some excitement from their blunder. Maybe they could stand to learn a message of their own here.
    I'll say again, preaching atonement doesn't and shouldn't mean consequences can't and shouldn't be applied to mistakes people make.

Me feeling bad about posting something stupid on social media doesnt automatically mean I can't get fired for it. Doesn't always work that way. If it did, more people would be saying more stupid stuff on social media. More than already are.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    They created a huge pr disaster, lost one of their best directors to their competitors, and put their successful movie franchise in limbo. How is that not a mistake?
    I think calling it a huge PR disaster is a bit much.

Did they make a mistake that might end up blowing up in their face? Maybe but it’ll be a few years before anybody here can honestly say if it was a mistake or not.

I'll say again, preaching atonement doesn't and shouldn't mean consequences can't and shouldn't be applied to mistakes people make.

Me feeling bad about posting something stupid on social media doesnt automatically mean I can't get fired for it. Doesn't always work that way. If it did, more people would be saying more stupid stuff on social media. More than already are.
    This post conveniently ignores that the main cast of these movies politely asked Disney in an open letter to reinstate Gunn. How often does that happen? And Disney promptly ignored their request.

I don't see why they should be given the benefit of the doubt on this issue. They preach atonement and redemption, but when the perfect opportunity to display such actions presents itself, they ignore it.

This post conveniently ignores that the main cast of these movies politely asked Disney in an open letter to reinstate Gunn. How often does that happen? And Disney promptly ignored their request.

I don't see why they should be given the benefit of the doubt on this issue. They preach atonement and redemption, but when the perfect opportunity to display such actions presents itself, they ignore it.
    Cast can politely ask for whatever they want, but ultimately it's not their call. Like any job, if your boss fires you, your Co workers nicely asking for a person to be rehired doesn't necessary mean you will or should be rehired.

Again, moral of the story being you should be careful what you say on social media. It can have consequences.