Page 3 of 172 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    On the plus side, we might actually get some decent showings from the female characters in future films.

It bugs me to no end that Gamora is given the title "deadliest woman in the galaxy" yet has done literally nothing even remotely close of deserving it. Vol. 2 had better moments for female characters so maybe he was learning, but meh. I'm interested to see what someone else can bring to the franchise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think part of that is, beyond just generally toning down Gamora's personality from the comics, Gunn's not really that good with action, at least close-quarters hand-to-hand kind of fighting.

Although he also made Mantis into a butt of jokes instead of a master martial artist, so...
    All of this, although I don't expect much of a positive difference in Vol. 3.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    Polanski is a worst offender and he even has major Hollywood figures defend his actions.
    Those guys have Directed Academy Award winning films. Working with Directors of that caliber is seen by Hollywod careerists to be more important than supporting some random who never directed a thing.

Nobody is gonna say like that but that is what it is.

Gunn is just seen by Disney as a expendable cog in a machine, even if he is one of the more talented Directoral cogs.

Allan and Polanski are seen as artistes they get left alone for now.

I've seen dudes go pretty dark in pursuit of a punchline in the right (or wrong crowd), so this seems unwarranted as ****.

There's a pretty big difference between the dude that makes bad Pedo jokes and actual freaking Pedos.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    It's good to see we hold our film directors to a higher standard than our president.

I wish the civil war would just start already, because this is getting annoying.
    "I should get to be a lousy person to "This" degree because the President is an incredibly lousy person..."?

That ain't much of a defense.

Back in the day, I can remember The Beastie Boys disavowing a lot of what they did early on. If you think you are "The Good Guys" now and you aren't getting out in front of this sort of stuff?

You are rolling the dice.

Edit: This is not to say that the guy didn't address it after GLAAD called him on it. That said, you don't get to decide that you've made it right and never have to deal with consequences.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 07-20-2018 at 05:41 PM.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    "I should get to be a lousy person to "This" degree because the President is an incredibly lousy person..."?

That ain't much of a defense.
    I'm not defending anything. I'm noting that the levels of hypocrisy at work here are verging on the supernatural.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I'm not defending anything. I'm noting that the levels of hypocrisy at work here are verging on the supernatural.
    That "The Good Guys" need to actually be good, and not just an acceptable degree of bad, isn't hypocritical.

GLAAD called the guy on it. Not the GOP.

BANNED

Stop.

Using.

Social.

Media.

At least non-anonymously.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I really don't know how to feel about this.

Clearly I don't think Gunn believes what he wrote in those tweets. It's clear his intent was to be funny, even if the end result was pretty distasteful, to say the least.

I think a sincere apology was warranted, and I believe he did so. I'm not sure being fired outright and thus likely ostracized from Hollywood going forward is right.

He told some bad tasteless jokes.

I'm pretty sure we all have at some point or another.

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    He deserved it, frankly. If you're going to throw stones, you need to make sure you don't live in a glass house.
    Could not have said it better. He absolutely deserved to get fired and I honestly am shocked that nobody found these before this week.

The ironic thing is that even his own words condemn him, when Roseanne got fired ( as she should have been) gunn came out and said that she had a right to say what she did but ABC had the right not to employ her anymore and the same is true here. The "jokes" he stated are absolutely repulsive and can't in anyway be defended no matter the circumstances. Even if by some chance some people found these disgusting thoughts humorous, In the social and political environment that we have in 2018 where we can't have an award show,football game or any entertainment event happen without a political debate he was never going to survive this. I will also say that while I despise politics and don't really support either side of the political aisle right now, I do find it a bit hypocritical that if this had been a well known republican and they had made comments like this, there would be no debate about if it was jokes or not. It would be an open and shut case and the same people trying to defend gunn right now would be saying that the person who made these comments should never work again.

In the end Gunn spent alot of time on social media criticizing others and talking about the importance of words, you can't be out doing that and have disgusting stuff like this in your past and expect it not to come back to bite you.
    Last edited by regg215; 07-20-2018 at 07:06 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Yes, but not when you are going to make a couple of successful blockbuster films with a family-friendly company like Disney.
    While using that increased visibility to talk about the moral failings of others...

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    Could not have said it better. He absolutely deserved to get fired and I honestly am shocked that nobody found these before this week.
    They did.

It was an issue right around 2012.

Here's the blurb...

https://www.glaad.org/blog/director-...ents-blog-post

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Yes, but not when you are going to make a couple of successful blockbuster films with a family-friendly company like Disney.
    From 1993-2010, Disney owned Miramax, which produced many raunchy, violent, R-rated motion pictures.

Look, I'm not defending Gunn so much as I hate that we as a society lack the ability to forgive people for stupid things, especially when many of us are guilty of saying or doing stupid things ourselves. I promise you that no one here who is ostracizing Gunn for his tweets has never made an offensive joke or a bad decision him/herself. I also hate the hypocrisy of us wanting to hold some people accountable but not others. Sean Penn, Roman Polanski, Woody Allen, Mike Tyson...these guys still make tons of money and continue to work, yet no one bats an eye. Yet someone makes some stupid jokes and they should never work again. It makes no sense.

Gunn apologized. Pretty sincerely, I think. I don't think it should cost him his livelihood.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Gunn apologized. Pretty sincerely, I think. I don't think it should cost him his livelihood.
    An apology is different than having spent a lot of the time since having tried to make amends in addition to the apology.

Having just considered it settled while tearing into others for what you have decided is wrong is a play you should seriously consider before making it.

In the end Gunn spent alot of time on social media criticizing others and talking about the importance of words, you can't be out doing that and have disgusting stuff like this in your past and expect it not to come back to bite you.
    That suggests that because he did something in the past that means he's never allowed to change or live it down.

Are people not allowed to change anymore, or is it that people can't say they're better when they did something stupid years ago?

They were aware of the jokes. He apologized for them, they accepted, and he made 2 GotG movies for them. Now some actual rapist and his army of MAGA chuds dug up this dirt which wasn't actually buried to begin with and Disney has to capitulate.