Page 34 of 172 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders View Post
    It’s not always about money, big companies don’t like bad publicity.
    Which is why Disney fired Roseanne and Gunn.
    Now that the cast have involved themselves, it created another problem for Disney.
    They fired Roseanne because advertisers were bailing and it was not going to make money. That's going to be a tougher sell with Gunn

BANNED

Rape and pedophilia are serious crimes. They physically and mentally painful to the victims.
    For someone to joke about this is weird and sick.

Should he have gotten fired?
    That’s up to the company he work for, not the fans.
    I pretty sure he had a morality clause in his contract.
    Disney had no choice. They did the right thing.

BANNED

Rape and pedophilia are serious crimes. They physically and mentally painful to the victims.

The fans do have a responsibility to communicate to the company that they have done a thing the audience thinks is behavior that does not serve the best interests of the movies they are hoping to see, as well as send the message their behavior in the matter is reprehensible.

I give it no better than 50/50 odds he doesn't direct 3. Public support seems to be swerving away from Disney, wholly appropriately in my view.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    The fans do have a responsibility to communicate to the company that they have done a thing the audience thinks is behavior that does not serve the best interests of the movies they are hoping to see, as well as send the message their behavior in the matter is reprehensible.

I give it no better than 50/50 odds he doesn't direct 3. Public support seems to be swerving away from Disney, wholly appropriately in my view.
    I don’t understand the big deal about Gunn.
    Gunn is replaceable.
    GOTG3 will make a billion dollars with or without Gunn.
    Remember GOTG is Kevin Feige vision and tone, not Gunn’s.
    The MCU are Feige’s movies. Without Feige there would be no MCU.
    As long as Feige is around the MCU will stay great, no matter who’s the director.
    Last edited by Raiders; 07-31-2018 at 08:57 PM.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Gunn is replaceable.
    As long as Feige is around the MCU will stay great, no matter who’s the director.
    Well, GotG will only make money if the stars return for the sequel, which is in jeopardy right now without Gunn at the helm.

Look, Gunn did a very stupid thing. He apologized, pretty sincerely I think, for the comments he made. I don't think it's worth him being fired or ostracized forever over it. Now, Disney is within their right to fire him, absolutely. But that would be an overreaction in my opinion and completely unnecessary. He did not physically assault anyone. His comments were not directed towards a specific person. They were insensitive and dumb, but at the end of the day there are many worse things committed by other stars who have not only been forgiven but are leading pretty successful careers (Sean Penn, Mike Tyson, Charlie Sheen - who SHOT his girlfriend for crying out loud!).

He said he's sorry. Let's move on with our lives and not try to police every single thing in the world.

Gunn is replaceable.
    GotG 2 didn't make a billion and that was a sequel to a film everybody saw. Luckily word got out the movie was bad so people just didn't show up. James Gunn was clearly an auteur of the franchise, this is self-evident by the number of people who recognize his name.

GotG franchise is essentially dead at this point, thankfully, which means its the second its the second MCU franchise to die in July as Ant-Man 2,with a budget of $162–195 million and income of $397 million, probably will not receive a sequel.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    GotG 2 didn't make a billion and that was a sequel to a film everybody saw. Luckily word got out the movie was bad so people just didn't show up. James Gunn was clearly an auteur of the franchise, this is self-evident by the number of people who recognize his name.

GotG franchise is essentially dead at this point, thankfully, which means its the second its the second MCU franchise to die in July as Ant-Man 2,with a budget of $162–195 million and income of $397 million, probably will not receive a sequel.
    Huh? GOTG2 made more money than the first, not less. While it is true that it didn't crack a billion, it still made 864 million, which is more than the first one which was is the high 700 million range.

BANNED

GOTG 3 will be fine. Kevin Feige knows how to find a good director.
    The cast is under contract, so they’ll be back.

I’m worried Disney might scrap GOTG to avoid anymore controversy. Disney got plenty of products that make a ton of money, so they won’t miss it.

Say what now?

If what is in blue is actually true, that means they had a choice.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Most of the negative press is over his firing not his tweets. The cast backing Gunn just make Disney look like bigger assholes. If more industry people lend their support for Gunn then Disney is gonna look far worse.
    They don't even look like assholes. They look like morons who got owned by an alt-right rapist with a blog.

It's not that simple, Guardians is due to film early next year and bringing on a new director means they will have to go over the script but they have no writer now as that was also Gunn. They could use Gunn's script but then they will have to use his name in the credits which defeats the point of firing him in the first place, they can't even template it on his script as that would mean a story by credit as well.

Also Gunn was good at working with actors and so change in direction from a director may have consequences on the cast, even the stuff they did in Avengers was worked on with Gunn. For example the Drax invisible scene was something Gunn wrote.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    For example the Drax invisible scene was something Gunn wrote.
    And it was horrible and not funny at all that's one reason I'm not going to miss Gunn all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    And it was horrible and not funny at all that's one reason I'm not going to miss Gunn all that much.

It got big laughs in the cinema, funny is a subjective thing.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    They don't even look like assholes. They look like morons who got owned by an alt-right rapist with a blog.
    And if they'd done nothing they'd have looked like people who stand by a man who makes a mockery of pedophilia and rape. No matter what decision they made, they were going to catch heat from one faction. They chose the lesser of the two evils in their view.

That Mike Cernovich is a scum bag of the highest order is not what is in dispute here. Anyone with common sense can see that. But those tweets no matter how long ago they were do not paint a pretty picture for a company that prides itself on being family friendly.