Page 35 of 172 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585135 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    And it was horrible and not funny at all that's one reason I'm not going to miss Gunn all that much.
    Same, i sure as hell not a big fan of the humor in the GotG movies.

Astonishing Member

I don't think using gunn's already written story will be a big deal, especially to the general audiences that don't care as much. And Disney could easily find be another director.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    It's not bizarre; it's the whole point. A person in the creative arts is supposed to make suggestions that are unacceptable at a widget company.
    Lol. Yeah. No. Being in the "creative arts" doesn't mean you can't get fired because your boss thinks you're a creep. (not saying Gunn is, just that how being an employee works)

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthon616 View Post
    Lol. Yeah. No. Being in the "creative arts" doesn't mean you can't get fired because your boss thinks you're a creep. (not saying Gunn is, just that how being an employee works)
    This is what you wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthon616 View Post
    Bizarrely, I think Hollywood (and the entertainment industry generally) is one of the few professional fields where people would even bat an eye at being fired for it. Unless you are willing to go tweet that kind of joke to your boss, I don't think you're really appreciating the situation.
    You're conflating working in Hollywood with any other job. Sometimes this is relevant, but it clearly is not when talking about an employee being off color. The specifics of the James Gunn situation are just that, specifics. You can't discuss the work people do in Hollywood without having conversations that would get you reprimanded at a normal job. There's nothing bizarre about people being shocked about being fired for making jokes in line with the tone of your resume prior to being hired by a studio.

Hollywood is not a normal job in so many ways. It's even excepted from aspects of equal opportunity employment, for reasons I assume are obvious.

I mean, acting is a job where taking your clothes off can be a requirement for a job.

BANNED

The alt-right was out to destroy Gunn and he handed them the weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Yes very dumber.

So they rather wanted an Asian wearing a Karate gi?

White people wore karate uniforms in karate classes, so it doesn't bother me.
    Karate is Japanese. Iron Fist is Chinese. So I presume the issue was this idea that you can just use Japanese culture as a proxy for Chinese culture.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Karate is Japanese. Iron Fist is Chinese. So I presume the issue was this idea that you can just use Japanese culture as a proxy for Chinese culture.
    There's a bit more history involved with Karate than simply saying "it's Japanese".

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders View Post
    The alt-right was out to destroy Gunn and he handed them the weapons.
    By sending offensive jokes on twitter before he got hired to direct a movie, and is then removed because of them six years later?*

If he’d sent those tweets in 2018, or 2017, or any time from 2012 to 2016 and he was removed then because of them, I doubt you’d find a single person in this thread who’d criticise Disney. (Well, maybe one or two, you never know ).

*Edited to correct timing and in case I’m wrong about the full extent of their knowledge.
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 08-01-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Didn’t he apologize for this stuff like two years ago?

actually never mind
    Last edited by jump; 08-01-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Huh? GOTG2 made more money than the first, not less. While it is true that it didn't crack a billion, it still made 864 million, which is more than the first one which was is the high 700 million range.
    Again though, the original film was a movie everyone saw and its one of the few MCU films that has a cultural impact on its own. It should have made a billion.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Again though, the original film was a movie everyone saw and its one of the few MCU films that has a cultural impact on its own. It should have made a billion.
    I still don't understand how you think it's dead franchise because it's didn't make a billion. The vast bulk of successful films dont make a billion, most of the Marvel films don't even make a billion.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    If a whole billion is your mark for success vs failure then most of the MCU is a failure - only 6 of the 20 films have managed that much. A success rate of 30% isn't good. Or maybe Disney judges success based on income vs costs of making/promoting the film rather than an arbitrary number that has nothing to do with what the film costs.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franch...d=avengers.htm

Variety reporting James Gunn will not be rehired by Disney.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
    Variety reporting James Gunn will not be rehired by Disney.
    Not a surprise.