Page 4 of 172 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    They were aware of the jokes. He apologized for them, they accepted, and he made 2 GotG movies for them. Now some actual rapist and his army of MAGA chuds dug up this dirt which wasn't actually buried to begin with and Disney has to capitulate.
    Wait...actual rapist?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Wait...actual rapist?
    Go look up Mike Cernovich.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    That suggests that because he did something in the past that means he's never allowed to change or live it down.

Are people not allowed to change anymore, or is it that people can't say they're better when they did something stupid years ago?
    I completely agree that people can absolutely change and make amends for what they did in the past but that does not mean you escape consequences of your previous actions. Also I think the important thing about this situation is that If you want to criticize people for saying stupid things and not give any of them the benefit of the doubt because you disagree with them then you can't expect for them to offer the same to you. Gunn gets after people all the time online for saying stupid stuff( which is fine) however if someone he disliked made the comments that he did,there is no way based on how he handles things he would grant them a chance to explain things or play it off as a joke. If you want grace you gotta give grace, and Gunn has spent a lot of time condemning people and judging them for for saying dumb things, the standard he uses on others is the standard that should be used on him.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Go look up Mike Cernovich.
    Well this got a whole lot stupider. Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    I completely agree that people can absolutely change and make amends for what they did in the past but that does not mean you escape consequences of your previous actions. Also I think the important thing about this situation is that If you want to criticize people for saying stupid things and not give any of them the benefit of the doubt because you disagree with them then you can't expect for them to offer the same to you. Gunn gets after people all the time online for saying stupid stuff( which is fine) however if someone he disliked made the comments that he did,there is no way based on how he handles things he would grant them a chance to explain things or play it off as a joke. If you want grace you gotta give grace, and Gunn has spent a lot of time condemning people and judging them for for saying dumb things, the standard he uses on others is the standard that should be used on him.
    While I'd disagree with "Should", it's certainly more difficult to create a case for "It's not that simple..." when you have the entirety of how he has done things.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Now there's a mob forming over Jeph Loeb wearing a karate gi to promote Iron Fist. Outrage culture gets dumber.

Probably for the best he did a good job with GOG but vol 2 was all over the place and just didn't work for me let's see what the next guy can do.

Mighty Member

Trump probably thinks the jokes are funny.

I completely agree that people can absolutely change and make amends for what they did in the past but that does not mean you escape consequences of your previous actions.
    The problem here is that all he did was say some stupid stuff years ago. It wasn't like he was promoting anything or trying to make a huge statement. he told some bad jokes. That was it. He told some bad jokes years ago.

How do you make amends for that?

I would think the fact that he stopped saying things like that and changed how he acted would be proof enough that he was doing the right thing. Why would you punish a person for something they stopped doing years ago? What lesson does that teach? You're not allowed to ever make mistakes at any point? Are we really asking people to go back every few years and apologize for anything they may have said in the past that was stupid or could have offend somebody? That just strikes me as being really sad.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Jeremy Renner says things almost as bad, and not as jokes, much more recently. There's a serious lack of consistency on Disney's part.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

The problem here is that all he did was say some stupid stuff years ago. It wasn't like he was promoting anything or trying to make a huge statement. he told some bad jokes. That was it. He told some bad jokes years ago.

How do you make amends for that?

I would think the fact that he stopped saying things like that and changed how he acted would be proof enough that he was doing the right thing. Why would you punish a person for something they stopped doing years ago? What lesson does that teach? You're not allowed to ever make mistakes at any point? Are we really asking people to go back every few years and apologize for anything they may have said in the past that was stupid or could have offend somebody? That just strikes me as being really sad.
    It's not that he has to make amends it's that some things are beyond the realm of understanding and this is one of those things. The "jokes" he made are absolutely disgusting to the point that it is disturbing that anyone could have that thought occur to them let alone decide to share them with the world. I am not saying that he can't be a better person now but in all honesty some of this stuff is so disturbing that you can't ignore it. Making a dumb comment is one thing but this is at a different level of disgusting comments.People do say dumb, insensitive, thoughtless things but in all honesty I have a hard time believing that people say the disgusting things that he did here very often ( I certainly hope they don't). Losing your temper and saying something you regret is one thing but there were thousands of these tweets from a long period of time it's hard to believe that this was just some phase that he went through and makes it difficult to be lenient especially considering how judgemental and unforgiving gunn has been towards others who have made comments he disapproves of.
    Last edited by regg215; 07-20-2018 at 09:03 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

I'm sad James Gunn is off the movies. I like James Gunn. I would like to see James Gunn continue to make movies and have a continued career.

That being said, 'You are exactly where you deserve to be based of your decisions and actions' is something I firmly believe in. His decisions and actions got him into this situation.

I'm also glad his statement took accountability for those jokes, and he was swift to send out a message that was clear in that.

I am not saying that he can't be a better person now but in all honesty some of this stuff is so disturbing that you can't ignore it.
    Everybody was doing a good job of ignoring it up until just now.

Mighty Member

Thought that myself. Ah well...political correctness 1, common sense 0. Well done Disney, I doubt if I'll bother with future GotG films.

Everybody was doing a good job of ignoring it up until just now.
    In all honesty I had no idea these comments existed and never would have went to see Guardians had I known about them. The fact that so many people are saying that these comments should be ignored because they were made 10 years ago but then have spent a lot of the last year citing an access hollywood tape from over a decade ago and comments from the 80's from Jeff sessions is a bit hypocritical. For the record I do not currently support either side of the political spectrum and I think all the comments made by all three parties are morally repugnant, insensitive, stupid and unacceptable. I also understand that directing a superhero movie is different than running the country but people deciding to pick and chose arguments with no consistency to back people they support and condemn those they don't bugs me to no end. Also very importantly, not at all saying that you are doing that Alan2099, I think you are one of the better posters on these boards and enjoy the perspective you bring to a lot of the conversations I have seen you participate in on here.