Page 6 of 172 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    That's pretty short sighted. As a white American with family ties in the South, I am fully aware that part of the reason I am where I am was in some part supported by unpaid labor. But either way, it's not just sins of the father. We've had many opportunities to squash out institutional racism and we've come along way, but there is a lot still out there. Racism against white people is still a false equivalency.
    So you're still benefiting from the sins of your grandfathers, perhaps you should be taxed for that, but where do we draw the line? You're also benefiting, one supposes, from the conquered native peoples of what's now the United States. Are you still sinning for that?
    If you can't change your part of the world, you can only try to be good yourself. Which I'm sure you are.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post

Let's call this what it really is. It's Disney bowing down to a right wing hit job on a Trump critic. I hate that this is political, but it seems like everything is these days. If you think for a second that we'd be here right now if he wasn't vocal politically, I have a bridge to sell you. And, it would be the same thing if he fell on the opposite side of the spectrum. While, I'd be upset regardless, I think the political angle just makes this feel even more icky. Especially since the person involved was the main person behind Pizza conspiracy that almost ended in a deadly shooting a year or so ago.
    It's a sad state of affairs, I can't argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    So you're still benefiting from the sins of your grandfathers, perhaps you should be taxed for that, but where do we draw the line? You're also benefiting, one supposes, from the conquered native peoples of what's now the United States. Are you still sinning for that?
    If you can't change your part of the world, you can only try to be good yourself. Which I'm sure you are.
    It's complex. I'm not necessarily in favor of monetary reparations, but I understand the arguments for. I think the most important thing a person can do, especially white people, is try and be more conscious about their place in the world. And then be more kind.

Astonishing Member

I wonder if Disney will fire Dave Bautista for supporting Gunn.

Probably on board with the idea of when you get famous, delete your social media history and start a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    Probably on board with the idea of when you get famous, delete your social media history and start a new one.
    The interwebs never go away completely.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Maybe not in the US but there have been racist and homophobic attacks carried out by people of colour against white people in the UK. I am white. I'm also autistic, asexual and have a gay brother. In short, I have experience of bigotry and prejudice. The answer to bigotry is not becoming a bigot.
    It's not about becoming a bigot, it's about stating the facts and the context of issues.

Comparing the racist experience of what colored minorities- men, women and children have and still go through in the US (i only stayed briefly in the United Kingdom and I really can't form an opinion about that place) to what white people experience can not lead to any meaningful discussion or conclusions considering sheer lopsidedness in one group of people's experiences. Unless one wants to close their eyes to all the news around them and the actual, factual increase in the number of hate crimes reported in the United States since the "Make America Great Again" crowd took control of the country.

It's like how some straight men try to make the extremely false comparison of how straight men get sexually assaulted and raped like women too. I'm a straight man and even i recognize that it's a bullshit argument considering just how pervasive sexual assault is against little girls and women around the world. Or worse still, straight people complaining about how they are being discriminated against because some very few gay people use the word "breeder".

I'm not justifying bigotry or the use of hateful slurs against people (Jermaine Jackson was a total idiot to call anyone white trash) but nonetheless we are obligated to call out the bullshit when see it. I mean, the irony of this entire situation is that James Gunn was taken out by racist, alt-right nut job....

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    The interwebs never go away completely.
    Oh it doesn't but deleting your history goes a long way

Ultimate Member

Back to the topic at hand (and to quote Barrack Obama) we are living in strange, uncertain times.

There was a recent interview with Dave Chappelle (who has been at the receiving end of some criticism because of his jokes about the Me Too movement and Trans people) and he himself said that comedians are still trying to understand what's happening with the culture.

Now, I'm not defending Gunn's tweets but if we are now retroactively going to start punishing people for things they said years ago, then there's a METRIC TON of creators that will likely get "punished". Particularly comedians or people who's work involves a lot of humor.

Social media and knee-jerk reactionary social justice warriors have completely obliterated the fine line that comedians walk along. It's ridiculous. The material is a decade old, well before Gunn came into the spotlight with Super. Honestly, I don't like what this trend might mean for our futures. Forget all the adults who should know better; tweens and teens the world over say and do stupid **** online all the time. They're not going to be able to get careers in the public eye because some background check will reveal that the poor bastards snorted condoms or shoved Tide pods up their arses at some point in the past.

Where I'm from, we just had a Brew 'n' View featuring Pulp Fiction and an auditorium of roughly 250 people laughed during the scene where Marsellus is raped by Zed. Now granted, I was taken aback by the laughter, mostly since I have many lady friends who absolutely deplore rape jokes, but do those 250 people deserve to lose their respective jobs?
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Back to the topic at hand (and to quote Barrack Obama) we are living in strange, uncertain times.

There was a recent interview with Dave Chappelle (who has been at the receiving end of some criticism because of his jokes about the Me Too movement and Trans people) and he himself said that comedians are still trying to understand what's happening with the culture.

Now, I'm not defending Gunn's tweets but if we are now retroactively going to start punishing people for things they said years ago, then there's a METRIC TON of creators that will likely get "punished". Particularly comedians or people who's work involves a lot of humor.
    Well, it's not really "Punishing".

Feels more like "This guy never realized that he was starting a range war where he had significantly more to lose than a lot of his opponents..."

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Oh my God, I'm cringing waiting for the axe to drop on Armando Iannucci and Peter Capaldi...

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Social media and knee-jerk reactionary social justice warriors have completely obliterated the fine line that comedians walk along. It's ridiculous. The material is a decade old, well before Gunn came into the spotlight with Super. Honestly, I don't like what this trend might mean for our futures. Forget all the adults who should know better; tweens and teens the world over say and do stupid **** online all the time. They're not going to be able to get careers in the public eye because some background check will reveal that the poor bastards snorted condoms or shoved Tide pods up their arses at some point in the past.

Where I'm from, we just had a Brew 'n' View featuring Pulp Fiction and an auditorium of roughly 250 people laughed during the scene where Marsellus is raped by Zed. Now granted, I was taken aback by the laughter, mostly since I have many lady friends who absolutely deplore rape jokes, but do those 250 people deserve to lose their respective jobs?
    Not really "Apples" to "Apples".

With their "Regular Jane/Joe" status comes some leeway that this guy stopped having once he was called out by GLAAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Hey guess what, the reason the movie was successful was because it diverged from the comics.
    How do you know a more comic correct GOG movie wouldn't be successful?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Not really "Apples" to "Apples".

With their "Regular Jane/Joe" status comes some leeway that this guy stopped having once he was called out by GLAAD.
    Still though, it's retroactive punishment in Gunn's case. And they're words, he didn't go out and literally harm people like Spacey or Singer. It's pathetic that we live in an age when Free Speech Zones and Safety Zones exist as separate entities. Thank God for Sean Connery's retirement from acting, he would've been hounded out by now for once stating his belief that it was acceptable to hit a woman (with an open hand, if she continues to nag you after you've conceded an argument to her). These are indeed strange and uncertain times, but one must take pause when the only American left with a backbone in the public sphere appears to be Trump.