Page 7 of 172 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Still though, it's retroactive punishment in Gunn's case. And they're words, he didn't go out and literally harm people like Spacey or Singer. It's pathetic that we live in an age when Free Speech Zones and Safety Zones exist as separate entities. Thank God for Sean Connery's retirement from acting, he would've been hounded out by now for once stating his belief that it was acceptable to hit a woman (with an open hand, if she continues to nag you after you've conceded an argument to her). These are indeed strange and uncertain times, but one must take pause when the only American left with a backbone in the public sphere appears to be Trump.
    Which a "Morality" clause in a contract signed most likely allows the employer to fire the employee whenever they decide to, regardless of when the issue happened.

Also, not a "Free Speech" issue. Whole other thing.

the only American left with a backbone in the public sphere appears to be Trump.
    This week proved this assertion utterly and completely wrong.

Ultimate Member

Still though, it's retroactive punishment in Gunn's case. And they're words, he didn't go out and literally harm people like Spacey or Singer. It's pathetic that we live in an age when Free Speech Zones and Safety Zones exist as separate entities. Thank God for Sean Connery's retirement from acting, he would've been hounded out by now for once stating his belief that it was acceptable to hit a woman (with an open hand, if she continues to nag you after you've conceded an argument to her). These are indeed strange and uncertain times, but one must take pause when the only American left with a backbone in the public sphere appears to be Trump.
    That for me is the issue here. It's retroactive punishment.

Not to mention he was saying a lot of this in jest.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    That for me is the issue here. It's retroactive punishment.

Not to mention he was saying a lot of this in jest.
    Which will still get you just as fired if you sign something with a "Morality" clause in it. It's there for the benefit of your employer, not you.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    This week proved this assertion utterly and completely wrong.
    Lol yeah...Trump pretty much "bent the knee" to Putin this past week.

I've never seen an American President completely melt away like that before.

Even Fox News had to criticize him for that.

Ultimate Member

Which will still get you just as fired if you sign something with a "Morality" clause in it. It's there for the benefit of your employer, not you.
    True. However, Gunn said all this long before he was selected to direct GoTG.

But why did Disney still employ him knowing a) the kind of stuff Gunn does b) what Gunn says (there was controversy back when then hired him) ?

It seems like an over reaction on Disney's part to counter any criticism they might receive because they canned Roseanne for similar reasons.

Lol yeah...Trump pretty much "bent the knee" to Putin this past week.

I've never seen an American President completely melt away like that before.

Even Fox News had to criticize him for that.
    Not just that.

The dude just zipped his lip in front of Putin, and then had to try to create a scenario where he didn't once he got home.

That's something. Just nowhere near "Having a backbone..."

True. However, Gunn said all this long before he was selected to direct GoTG.

But why did Disney still employ him knowing a) the kind of stuff Gunn does b) what Gunn says (there was controversy back when then hired him) ?

It seems like an over reaction on Disney's part to counter any criticism they might receive because they canned Roseanne for similar reasons.
    In either one of those instances...

"Money You Can Make Us..." started being less than "Headaches You Are Going To Create For Us..."

Never mind that the companies can create the illusion of having something like a moral center pretty simply by doing this sort of thing.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Back to the topic at hand (and to quote Barrack Obama) we are living in strange, uncertain times.

There was a recent interview with Dave Chappelle (who has been at the receiving end of some criticism because of his jokes about the Me Too movement and Trans people) and he himself said that comedians are still trying to understand what's happening with the culture.

Now, I'm not defending Gunn's tweets but if we are now retroactively going to start punishing people for things they said years ago, then there's a METRIC TON of creators that will likely get "punished". Particularly comedians or people who's work involves a lot of humor.
    Call me a conspiracy nut, but I see this as more of a weapon conservatives and right wing loons can use to attack celebrities who dared to criticize Trump as I suspect had been the case with Gunn.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Not just that.

The dude just zipped his lip in front of Putin, and then had to try to create a scenario where he didn't once he got home.

That's something. Just nowhere near "Having a backbone..."
    I would just like to clarify that A) I'm by no means a Trump supporter, and B) my backbone comment was implied only towards the President's speech (his ability to say whatever the hell pops into his head without receiving any sort of repercussions whatsoever) and not meant as any sort of compliment or testament to his fortitude...which, as pointed out, was witnessed to be nonexistent at the Putin meeting. The man is a mango-colored mollusk muppet, but he's been able to disrespect women, wildly and erroneously stereotype Latin Americans and regurgitate lunacy on Twitter daily with impunity.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Call me a conspiracy nut, but I see this as more of a weapon conservatives and right wing loons can use to attack celebrities who dared to criticize Trump as I suspect had been the case with Gunn.
    Well, it does seem pretty odd this has surfaced after nine years.

Some of yall are acting like he was 20 when he decided edgelord pedo jokes were funny.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

wow. pretty deep. I guess we'll see how the development process works for this. Hopefully they will get a solid director (and, where applicable, writer)

so was this Kevin Feige's call or Bob Iger?

Off the top of my head, I figure after this "dies down" (especially since this was apparently instigated by alt-right trolling) maybe a few years from now, Gunn might quietly get involved with another Marvel project for film or TV.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 07-21-2018 at 05:27 AM.

Let me start by saying I hate the far right and far left and I don't like Trump. I also hate that what one says as a joke or in a moment of anger or something can be used to define a person and context and growth are not considered in our new era of cultural outrage by both sides of the political spectrum. Also the "Gotcha Moment" is as old as time this isn't new it just happens ever week now it seems with Twitter. I'm a free speech advocate and hate when humor even bad humor is policed but also with free speech comes consequences.

When Gunn was hired in 2012 or so Twitter history wasn't as important to companies as now because now a tweet can destroy you. I remember in 2013 being shocked over the controversy when a woman posted a pic on Halloween as a Boston Bombing Victim and how that oh god I'm sorry but blew up. I didn't find her costume in good taste or funny but really all that outrage and it's kept going every week now an actor, sports figure, company, politician, or celebrity of some kind is apologizing for a joke or some comment some even innocent but taken the wrong way this is the times we live in.

When this became an issue even with it being one created by the far right to an extent Gunn still tweeted those comments he's not blameless but Gunn was going to have to go let's be honest Disney has a morality clause and they don't want rape and Pedophilia jokes associated with the Marvel brand especially the head of the Guardians films with Groot when one said "joke" involved the Giving Tree, a child, and a sex act. He was toast and Disney was right to do so protecting their brand is more important than James Gunn for the company.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 07-21-2018 at 05:31 AM.