Page 8 of 172 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Some of yall are acting like he was 20 when he decided edgelord pedo jokes were funny.
    That's because he agrees with them politically. If the person in question were on the opposite side of the aisle from them, they'd be calling for him to be strung up and publicly beaten. It's fairly transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    That's because he agrees with them politically. If the person in question were on the opposite side of the aisle from them, they'd be calling for him to be strung up and publicly beaten. It's fairly transparent.
    I think a lot of this is less agreeing with Gunn politically and more about not agree with the person who brought the tweets to light more. If someone from the left wrote an article about how Gunn shouldn't be doing the next Guardians film and " exposed " his twitter past I think there would be less anger over this. It's the idea the "wrong" people got a win by Gunn being fired.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That "The Good Guys" need to actually be good, and not just an acceptable degree of bad, isn't hypocritical.
    EVERYONE has some degree of bad in them. You, me, everyone. Every one of us has said and done stupid things in the past. We're trying to impose this rule that says, "if you said anything stupid and tasteless at any time of your life, you're fired, you're a terrible person, and you will never work again." Nobody can live up to those standards except Mr. Rogers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I think a lot of this is less agreeing with Gunn politically and more about not agree with the person who brought the tweets to light more. If someone from the left wrote an article about how Gunn shouldn't be doing the next Guardians film and " exposed " his twitter past I think there would be less anger over this. It's the idea the "wrong" people got a win by Gunn being fired.
    I personally have no issue with Gunn being fired and was unfamiliar with Cernovich until this situation. Still know next to nothing about the guy other than reading that he's an alt right social media personality. Don't know if he has a job outside of that but if so then it seems to me he should be fired just like Gunn, given the things he's posted on his twitter page (and supposedly he's actually raped, as opposed to just making ill advised jokes about it) . I mean if R. Kelly was the one that brought to light Jared from Subway's pedophilia...
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    I really don't think that's the case for the majority. I can only truly speak for myself, but the issue is the retroactivity of the situation. Firing him for something that he did before he was hired that had come to light already. Let's compare this to the Rosanne situation. Rosanne was fired for a tweet that she made a few days before she was fired. This situation is nothing like that.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

I feel bad for Gunn. I really enjoyed his work, and he was one of the few MCU directors with an actual artistic vision strong enough to withstand the Marvel Machine's Factory Press movies. But this is seriously on him. Disney is primarily a children's brand. There was no way they weren't gonna drop the hammer on someone making jokes about pedophilia. I'm just amazed that a guy as smart as Gunn is was either too dumb or too arrogant to purge those tweets. And let's not pretend that the real media wouldn't have destroyed him with this stuff as readily as the right-wingers did. The right-wingers just found those tweets first.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

This is really bad news for GotG 3. James Gunn are those movies. Even if someone at home decides that I'm wrong in thinking that then just ask the actors. Bautista has just commented on it and I doubt you will find any of the actors agreeing with Disney on this decision. Simply because this had very little to do with making good movies and more about trying to pretend that people see Disney as a company with morals.

I woulndn't be suprised if this means that Gotg3 either gets canceled or some if not all of the actors drop out of it. They love Gunn and most of them work with this franchise because of him. Not some loyalty to Marvel of superhero movies in general. Without Gunn what are the GotG movies? We are about to find out and I doubt it will be pretty.

Disney doesn't care about the tweets.

Disney cares about the reaction to the tweets.

Six years ago or whatever, if people found "bad tweets," it didn't make nearly an impact. Fewer people were on twitter and social media at all.

These days... that isn't the case. The littliest thing can become a forrest fire very quickly. The internet changed drastically in 6 years.

Disney didn't fire him because the tweets made them feel icky... they didn't want to deal with the reaction now. It was a business decision.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    This is really bad news for GotG 3. James Gunn are those movies. Even if someone at home decides that I'm wrong in thinking that then just ask the actors. Bautista has just commented on it and I doubt you will find any of the actors agreeing with Disney on this decision. Simply because this had very little to do with making good movies and more about trying to pretend that people see Disney as a company with morals.

I woulndn't be suprised if this means that Gotg3 either gets canceled or some if not all of the actors drop out of it. They love Gunn and most of them work with this franchise because of him. Not some loyalty to Marvel of superhero movies in general. Without Gunn what are the GotG movies? We are about to find out and I doubt it will be pretty.
    The irony is, Disney has had its own share of 'shady morals' in the past - wasn't Walt himself once seen as anti Semintic?

BANNED

What did Gunn tweeted?

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Tweeting is cancer. People should just stop doing it. Direct access to the public with your personal thoughts is a horrible thing, the experiment has failed, #nomorehashtags
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It's not about becoming a bigot, it's about stating the facts and the context of issues.

Comparing the racist experience of what colored minorities- men, women and children have and still go through in the US (i only stayed briefly in the United Kingdom and I really can't form an opinion about that place) to what white people experience can not lead to any meaningful discussion or conclusions considering sheer lopsidedness in one group of people's experiences. Unless one wants to close their eyes to all the news around them and the actual, factual increase in the number of hate crimes reported in the United States since the "Make America Great Again" crowd took control of the country.

It's like how some straight men try to make the extremely false comparison of how straight men get sexually assaulted and raped like women too. I'm a straight man and even i recognize that it's a bullshit argument considering just how pervasive sexual assault is against little girls and women around the world. Or worse still, straight people complaining about how they are being discriminated against because some very few gay people use the word "breeder".

I'm not justifying bigotry or the use of hateful slurs against people (Jermaine Jackson was a total idiot to call anyone white trash) but nonetheless we are obligated to call out the bullshit when see it. I mean, the irony of this entire situation is that James Gunn was taken out by racist, alt-right nut job....
    You're using the magnitude of a larger epidemic to minimize individual instances of intolerance and it's quite frankly not a good look at all.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Tweeting is cancer. People should just stop doing it. Direct access to the public with your personal thoughts is a horrible thing, the experiment has failed, #nomorehashtags
    Yup. The fundamental problem with twitter is it's an appeal to the id. You think something and you get to publish it to the world in a matter of moments. It's completely impulsive and rewards the mind synapses that get off on impulsiveness. Then you realize that thought you had in passing that you didn't give too much care to is permanently engraved in how people view you.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    You're using the magnitude of a larger epidemic to minimize individual instances of intolerance and it's quite frankly not a good look at all.
    No, I pointed out false equilvancies.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I really don't think that's the case for the majority. I can only truly speak for myself, but the issue is the retroactivity of the situation. Firing him for something that he did before he was hired that had come to light already. Let's compare this to the Rosanne situation. Rosanne was fired for a tweet that she made a few days before she was fired. This situation is nothing like that.
    Disney has to make a decision based on their business and the effect of this on it. This isn't a court of law, it's all about whether what he said is going to cost them money.