Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Marvel Knights is getting relaunched with Donny Cates at the helm

20 years after it started a sea change at Marvel Comics, the iconic Marvel Knights returns later this year. Announced at a retailers-only event at Comic-Con International: San Diego, the Marvel Knights line will be relaunched with writer Donny Cates - who has signed an extension on his 'exclusive' deal with the publisher.

"I am showrunning this new thing that we're doing," said Cates.

Cates is picking the creative teams himself, beginning with Tini Howard, Matthew Rosenberg, and Vita Ayala. The new Marvel Knights line will feature characters from the original 1998 line-up, and is scheduled to launch in November with a one-shot, MK20 #1, drawn by Mike Deodato Jr.

https://www.newsarama.com/40952-marv...e=notification

Cool news
    Last edited by UltimateTy; 07-20-2018 at 03:59 PM.
    We need better comics

Oh man, if they can catch half the magic the first Marvel Knights had we are in for a great time. Imo Marvel Knights was the greatest imprint in Marvel history.

Priest's Black Panther
    Bendis' Daredevil
    Jenkins' Inhumans
    Loebs' Colour books.

Marvel Knights was Marvel firing on all cylinders.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Donny Cates' star has risen at Marvel awfully quickly, to be put in charge of a whole line like this. I had a feeling all of this Marvel Knights anniversary content was building to something.

My one qualm is that the reason why Marvel Knights was so good and so exciting back when it came is that it introduced a lot of new creators to Marvel. Matthew Rosenberg and Mike Deodato aren't exactly new to Marvel at all ...

I'm also curious about the line-up. My gut would say that it would be focused around the Defenders characters, but Daredevil is still confirmed to be written by Soule through the first few months of 2019, at least, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are both digital-first comics, and Iron Fist also seems to be going strong. Will we see new books for Black Widow and Ghost Rider then? Or maybe a tighter, more focused Inhumans title in light of "Death of the Inhumans"? A new Marvel Boy?
    Last edited by responsarbre; 07-20-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Are they also bringing back Angel Punisher? I'm totally out if they don't bring back Angel Punisher.

On a more serious note:

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    My one qualm is that the reason why Marvel Knights was so good and so exciting back when it came is that it introduced a lot of new creators to Marvel. Matthew Rosenberg and Mike Deodato aren't exactly new to Marvel at all ...
    I mean, Priest wasn't exactly new to Marvel back then. Joke above aside, the MK Punisher was written by Michael Golden, who was a pretty big artist at Marvel, especially in the '80s, with Micronauts.

In the new announcement, Tini Howard and Vita Ayala are both newcomers to writing for Marvel. And ****, even Rosenberg's only been with Marvel for a couple years, it's just been a really eventful couple years.

So I think the overall spirit of getting new writers, at least, is still in place. We'll have to wait and see on the artists, since Marvel apparently doesn't think artists are all that important, and so announce books while omitting the bulk of the creative teams. Artists matter, Marvel! Line artists matter! Colour artists matter! Letterers matter! If you're going to announce a book, announce it with the whole creative team!
    Last edited by Tiamatty; 07-20-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Donny Cates' star has risen at Marvel awfully quickly, to be put in charge of a whole line like this. I had a feeling all of this Marvel Knights anniversary content was building to something.

I'm also curious about the line-up. My gut would say that it would be focused around the Defenders characters, but Daredevil is still confirmed to be written by Soule through the first few months of 2019, at least, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are both digital-first comics, and Iron Fist also seems to be going strong. Will we see new books for Black Widow and Ghost Rider then? Or maybe a tighter, more focused Inhumans title in light of "Death of the Inhumans"? A new Marvel Boy?
    Apparently it's the original Marvel Knights lineup
    We need better comics

BANNED

Gnarly. Really wish it wasn't Deodato on this, but oh well.

'Mini-series' has become a bit of a dirty word with Marvel over the years. Hopefully this can go some ways to fixing that.

Who is that on the right of OP's image? I can't make them out.

Kind of underwhelming. I don't know much about the two women.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    In the new announcement, Tini Howard and Vita Ayala are both newcomers to writing for Marvel. And ****, even Rosenberg's only been with Marvel for a couple years, it's just been a really eventful couple years.

So I think the overall spirit of getting new writers, at least, is still in place. We'll have to wait and see on the artists, since Marvel apparently doesn't think artists are all that important, and so announce books while omitting the bulk of the creative teams. Artists matter, Marvel! Line artists matter! Colour artists matter! Letterers matter! If you're going to announce a book, announce it with the whole creative team!
    Yes, you're right on Howard and Ayala. I'm glad that this announcement only included one male writer. And you're right on other creators, though I guess part of that attitude goes back to when Marvel contracted colorists and letterers through outside companies. But yeah, it's ridiculous that they expect people to get excited over a book just by the writer.

Yes, you're right on Howard and Ayala. I'm glad that this announcement only included one male writer. And you're right on other creators, though I guess part of that attitude goes back to when Marvel contracted colorists and letterers through outside companies. But yeah, it's ridiculous that they expect people to get excited over a book just by the writer.
    Why does that matter?

So...are the Marvel Knights books going to be separate from the main ongoings or will the characters books be relaunched as "Marvel Knights" books?

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Why does that matter?
    Marvel (and DC) has always had a weird, almost inexplicable gender imbalance when it comes to comics creators. It's good to see that it's not informing their future hiring decisions, and that they reflect the real world better.

Marvel (and DC) has always had a weird, almost inexplicable gender imbalance when it comes to comics creators. It's good to see that it's not informing their future hiring decisions, and that they reflect the real world better.
    There may be an imbalance, but it's not because the editors go "hey, you know what.. let's purposely exclude the women." It's just that less women are interested in comics, therefore, less women are interested in writing comics. And companies should hire from a pool based on talent, not quotas.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Kind of underwhelming. I don't know much about the two women.
    You could always look them up. They both have published work that can be read. They've both written for multiple publishers, major and minor, and Howard even wrote the upcoming Captain America Annual. (Side note: Ayala identifies as non-binary.) It's not like either of them is some unknown in the industry, coming out of nowhere. They have published comics that you can read, to help you determine how you feel about their writing styles.

I'll probably be getting both their titles, whatever they end up working on, because even though I haven't yet had a chance to read anything they've done, I've seen them get tons of praise from plenty of people, and I like to show support for greater diversity in comics. Of course, that's only enough to get me to pick up the first issues; whether I get more will depend on how those first issues go.

I'll probably skip Rosenberg's book, because even though he's a great writer and really nice guy, I will never get over my bitterness about Dead Mutants taking a Karma story and giving it to Illyana instead.

Who is that on the right of OP's image? I can't make them out.
    that is Luke Cage