Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default IDW Brings Back the Gobots!

Leader-one returns!

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07...o-bots-at-idw/

Just for fun here is the japan gobots series intro. (france intro dubbed as a follow up to the American series with same va's! Why didn't we get this also in the 80s?)

So, are Gobots really Transformers?

Both are owned by Hasbro. There has been gobots transformers toy afterwords. Funny thing is gobots are seen as rip-offs of transformers but gobots came first! (yeah shocked me as much as finding out the filmation ghostbusters with the ape was the first and the movie ghostbusters are the copies! What the?)

From tfw2005.

[IMG][/IMG]

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all honesty, I was one of the few who liked both Go-Bot and Transformers as anything with transforming robots worked for me. This is a pretty gutsy proposal in IDW's part as Go-Bots never gotten a fair shake. This should be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Both are owned by Hasbro. There has been gobots transformers toy afterwords. Funny thing is gobots are seen as rip-offs of transformers but gobots came first! (yeah shocked me as much as finding out the filmation ghostbusters with the ape was the first and the movie ghostbusters are the copies! What the?)
    Actually it's a little more complicated than that. IIRC Hasbro owns the rights to the names, and concept of the Go-Bots but Bandai owns the character designs (or at least in Japan) and are a rival to Hasbro in the US.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Interesting to see how this plays out as Hasbro as even incorporated Leader-1(he maybe the only one) into a toy once. He was the mini-con companion to Megatron during the Armada toy line.

My grandmother would get me Go-Bots at K-Mart cause they were vastly cheaper. I must've had 40-50 alone, my younger brother another 25.

Is this where IDW is going after they put the current Transformers line to bed? At least for awhile. They are going to push Go-Bots like they have Transformers? Interesting.
    I'll check it out in trade eventually.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

This is great news! I was always a fan of Gobots. They never quite had the serious tone that Transformers had, so I'm looking forward to that aspect in the Gobot mini-series. I really hope that IDW decides to make it a regular series, especially since they are wrapping up their Transformers line with the Unicron story line.

Mighty Member

Too bad that Tom Scioli is attached to this project. (The guy does bad comics and calls it "art".)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

I'm interested in this, but the way IDW has been inserting their political opinions in their comics, have turned me off. I read comics to escape all the bullcrapola in the news and the political fighting.

Mighty Member

I do not think that Scioli gets political.

Sitterson's Joe run was partly polemic, and also trolling. (His most inflammatory comments were on his personal twitter, in reference to the 2001 attacks.) Costa's TF run had elements of politics in it. ("Revenge of the Decepticons" was about hate-radio. But, to Costa's credit, between his writing and his actual comments, it is hard to be sure which side of the spectrum that he is on.)

I am not a fan of polemicomics in general. But, if a writer is going to get political, they need to have some qualifications beyond wanting to "raise awareness", or similar virtue signaling. (And, if they have ties to third party politics, they really need to avoid being hyper-partisan.)
    Last edited by CentralPower; 01-15-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Well finally got around to reading issue 1. I thought it was a pretty interesting start. I was a little turned off by the art and weird colors they used on the paper to make it seem... old? ‘80s like? Not sure. Just wasn’t happy.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Leader-one returns!

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07...o-bots-at-idw/

Just for fun here is the japan gobots series intro. (france intro dubbed as a follow up to the American series with same va's! Why didn't we get this also in the 80s?)

Holy crap....other than the title, nothing in that intro remotely reminded me of the GoBots.
    A little bit of Headmasters and Pretenders from the TF series...but wow...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    Holy crap....other than the title, nothing in that intro remotely reminded me of the GoBots.
    A little bit of Headmasters and Pretenders from the TF series...but wow...
    Well that intro did show a version of the Rock Lords. SO I guess this might have been a series where a different set of Go-Bots showed up or a failed series using the Gobots named. Like we saw with Robotech as Southern Cross was a failed series that got axed before it's actual ending.

I'm interested in this, but the way IDW has been inserting their political opinions in their comics, have turned me off.
    Can we get some examples outside of GI Joe? Because when I hear these claims I think it's more folks taking issues with WHO is on the cover versus story.

I see more complaints in general about who is on the cover versus the actual story.

The first issue is out. What did you guys think of it?

Well that intro did show a version of the Rock Lords. SO I guess this might have been a series where a different set of Go-Bots showed up or a failed series using the Gobots named. Like we saw with Robotech as Southern Cross was a failed series that got axed before it's actual ending.
    Machine robo did not fail. In fact it got two more shows! It still gets toys in japan from time to time.