Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Jason's role is essential so he will be there regardless of continuity but Harold is not essential, neither is Riddler to be frank.
    You could probably also substitute Jason (in the animated continuity the Heretic could be an option), but it will be interesting to see how they handle it, or if they for example retcon Jason into the animated continuity. Or they could of course change the story (like they did it with the previous movies in that continuity).

Other characters like Tim and Helena can imo be easier substituted.

For me the beauty of Hush was that it's like when a band releases a greatest hits type read, this issue he's fighting Superman and then the next issues he's fighter Joker etc so trying to condense all of that into a 80min movie means either they cut certain characters out or for a lot them it's gonna be a quick appearance.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Looking forward to this. Could be a way to introduce new Characters into the shared Universe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by geomon View Post
    So how will they mess this one up?
    Make it comicbook accurate.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Make it comicbook accurate.
    Ha! More changes they make for this the better, such an overrated and boring story with little substance.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    You could probably also substitute Jason (in the animated continuity the Heretic could be an option), but it will be interesting to see how they handle it, or if they for example retcon Jason into the animated continuity. Or they could of course change the story (like they did it with the previous movies in that continuity).

Other characters like Tim and Helena can imo be easier substituted.
    Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    For me the beauty of Hush was that it's like when a band releases a greatest hits type read, this issue he's fighting Superman and then the next issues he's fighter Joker etc so trying to condense all of that into a 80min movie means either they cut certain characters out or for a lot them it's gonna be a quick appearance.
    The way I see it, there's stuff that is core to the story...and stuff that can be easily removed or altered.

Tommy Elliot, his backstory with Bruce and their connection with the Waynes is of course crucial.

I would keep the opening fight with Killer Croc and the brainwashed Catwoman being involved in the ransom plot. And of course, Bruce's fall leading to him being put in Elliot's care.

I'd keep Poison Ivy and even the Batman-Superman fight if possible.

Elliot's 'death' at the hands of the Joker and Batman nearly beating the Joker to death before Gordon stops him too.

But a lot of other stuff I think can easily be cropped out. Riddler's role can either be removed entirely or seriously condensed to make Hush's story simpler. I'd cut out Jason Todd, the Lazarus Pits and the stuff with Talia and Ra's.

Hell, even the Superman-Batman fight could be cut...simply have Batman fight a Catwoman under the control of Poison Ivy instead.

As far as the supporting cast goes...Alfred of course. I'd keep Dick as Nightwing for sure. Give Catwoman a more prominent role perhaps and have hers and Bruce's romantic subplot.

I wouldn't mind having Damian as the Robin (if its set in the New 52 continuity, then it's definitely going to be him). Casual viewers these days are likely more familiar with him than with Tim. Then again, giving that the 'Reign of Superman' movie is rumored to be featuring Connor as Superboy, I don't think Tim being Robin would be such an issue - especially if its a standalone set in its own continuity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Looking forward to this. Could be a way to introduce new Characters into the shared Universe.
    It hasn't been confirmed whether its in continuity.

BANNED

They'll definitely keep the fights, they might even expand them. Storywise they'll keep Hush and Catwoman definitely. Batman vs Superman is a lock. Joker, Harley and Jason sequences are strongly likely and probably the Nightwing stuff.
    Now Riddler, Harold, Huntress etc are completely superflous. Robin was rather unimportant too. If its set in continuity then Damian will take that role but Talia and Ra's are pretty much out. On the otherhand if its not in continuity then Ra's and Talia will be in it but there's still no real guarantee of Tim being in it.

Conner who has been mentioned here was an important part of Reign. Tim is not even close to being important to Hush.

Hopefully they won't New52ize it like they are with Death of Superman. Plus the voice cast for the current ones is terrible, at least for Batman it is.

Spectacular Member

Conroy and Hamill have expressed interest in voicing the film in the past. So there’s that.

I’m always iffy about this story. It had its moments but it all came crashin with Hush. If he was Jason Todd as it was initially foreshadowed, it would’ve been far more satisfying. Instead, we’re left with an obvious mystery and overtly complicated schemings.

Quote Originally Posted by FBarnhill View Post
    Conroy and Hamill have expressed interest in voicing the film in the past. So there’s that.
    Which Conroy and Hamill? The ones bringing their A games and the classic voices, or the ones who messed up (least in part) The Killing Joke?

Incredible Member

I’m always iffy about this story. It had its moments but it all came crashin with Hush. If he was Jason Todd as it was initially foreshadowed, it would’ve been far more satisfying. Instead, we’re left with an obvious mystery and overtly complicated schemings.
    I guess that's how we ended up with the Red Hood story.

Hush is an interesting story to adapt, as there's definitely a question of whether there's enough story outside of all the fluff made for Jim Lee to draw awesome pictures of to really support something other than a 12 issue limited comic book series. It will be interesting to see how the movie team handles that. If nothing else the mystery aspect as presented in the comics would be blindingly obvious in a film context, and definitely needs to be tweaked.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Looking forward to this adaption but don't have high hopes for it being more than meh. A sequel adapting Dini's Heart of Hush and actually involving Dini in an animated movie again would make me happy, though.

Mighty Member

Loeb did the same thing in "Dark Victory": he set up Two Face as the ultimate villain and gave us another. the problem there was that the set-up for Two Face made sense based on the first book AND had a plausible motivation. revealing him to be the ultimate villain would have been more satisfying and sensible even if it wasn't a surprise. it would have made more sense than the practically full-blown retcon, in-your-face switcheroo we got in the comic. Loeb was so determined to "outsmart" his readers he neglected pretty basic story-telling craft; "SURPRISE! I GOTCHA!" was more important to him. you could see it some of the letters columns where it almost looks like he went back and rewrote some things (in TLH and DV) to ensure that nobody could/would guess who the killer really was.

with Hush it was the same terrible mistakes we saw in "Dark Victory" cranked up to 11. I only read it because somebody loaned me a free copy - and it was stupid beyond my wildest expectations. and, having read "Dark Victory", those expectations of shamefully stupid were... pretty high.