Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I must concur.

It was a great issue, don't get me wrong.

But Brett's right. I would have preferred to see Diana actually DOING something other than just refusing to marry the disgusting god-monster and getting stabbed for it.

Also true on the Jimenez comment.
    That is my biggest complaint with run ... the pacing is simply too slow. Lots of issues that don't really move the story along very much and lots of "filler" dialogue like Dio/Hermes in this issue.

Love this freaking book!!!!!!

Looking forward to the next few issues and discovering the reason Strife had that needle specially forged before she
    placed it in Diana's God Of War helmet.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Diana doing besides stand around and let others fight for the first time in 12 weeks.

Yes, its great the way she refused the firstborn, but is it so impossible to write action and character?

Jimenez could have done this in 10 pages of incredible artwork and then kept going.

Ahhh.....the very mention of Jimenez writing/drawing Wonder Woman again puts a smile on my face. Hopefully he gets to do a full issue of Sensation Comics in the near future.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Spectacular Member

It's interesting that Hippolyta lied to everyone and said that her daughter was made from clay, and now she is made of clay. I wonder if Hippolyta's guilt is what's keeping her from being restored completely.
    Not Peter David.

Extraordinary Member

Since folks asked...

This kind so issue is not without precedent ie one where the hero is captured or incapacitated and the other characters must bear the load.

However, usually in those cases there has been one helluva fight the previous issue. Examples can be found in Thor and episodes of Buffy season 7.

Here, while Diana confronts the FB last issue their battle is far from epic. And the few panels where they do face each other are, as I mentioned, the only ones where Diana does anything BUT talk in the last three months.

It's one thing for a story to break the mold, but quite another to try and make bread without flour.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

I kinda suspect Strife will somehow be instrumental in defeating Firsty and his empire of guts.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by vitamin View Post
    I kinda suspect Strife will somehow be instrumental in defeating Firsty and his empire of guts.
    I suspect your right. Maybe if she's lucky Diana will get to help
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Since folks asked...

This kind so issue is not without precedent ie one where the hero is captured or incapacitated and the other characters must bear the load.

However, usually in those cases there has been one helluva fight the previous issue. Examples can be found in Thor and episodes of Buffy season 7.

Here, while Diana confronts the FB last issue their battle is far from epic. And the few panels where they do face each other are, as I mentioned, the only ones where Diana does anything BUT talk in the last three months.

It's one thing for a story to break the mold, but quite another to try and make bread without flour.
    Again, I must concur.

I don't mind seeing Diana captured, but I generally prefer to see her go down in an epic fight, instead of an off-camera defeat.

This, unfortunately, is one of the areas where Azz and/or Chiang appear to be weak: they just don't seem to be the best at portraying big, superhero-worthy battles. The story is compelling, but the fights are often short and really not a very good payoff for the long wait until they happen.

We've only got two issues left of this run. I do kind of demand that Diana get her chance to really shine.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Diana doing besides stand around and let others fight for the first time in 12 weeks.

Yes, its great the way she refused the firstborn, but is it so impossible to write action and character?
    In this particular instance, yes. It had to be a discussion of the "how and why" of the bigger picture. Action would only have taken the focus off of where it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hell-blazer View Post
    I'm having a hard time to understand this:

"Hermes... mortality? It's a word that suits fools... There's no more in it... once death claims the flesh."

Anyone care to explain? Does it mean that taking life for granted is foolish because once you're dead, there's is nothing more you can do?
    One guy's take -

I'll be quoting here from memory(don't bust my chops if it's not exactly correct) -

The Gods envy us. They envy our mortality, because each moment may be our last.
    Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed. You will never be lovelier than
    you are now, and we will never live again.
    Achilles - from the film Troy.

Can't help but think that plays in.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    In this particular instance, yes. It had to be a discussion of the "how and why" of the bigger picture. Action would only have taken the focus off of where it needs to be.
    I didn't missed the fights, WW biggest strenght is in her character not her fighting skills.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by vitamin View Post
    Maybe that pin she had Hephaestus make was for FB and not Diana. Can we ever trust that anything Strife does doesn't have an ulterior motive? Her hatred for Diana could be an act. She manipulated FB into trying to take Diana as a bride, but there must be some catch. This entire run has been Strife setting up the pieces, ever since she "outed" Diana as Zeus' kid. Maybe Zeus didn't tell Strife anything about Diana. It could be that Ares did (since I'm sure he knew), and she is following Ares' lead. One part of the plan has succeeded: Diana is War. What's next?
    Not Peter David.

BANNED

I don't care. I've come to the conclusion this comic isn't satisfying and won't satisfy me no matter what happens in it. I'm just waiting it out to see what the Finches do, Azz just isn't for me. His writing is too self aware, long winded, cynical and boring.

Since folks asked...

Well, maybe the fight wasn't epic in the last issue, but Diana was captured because she stayed behind to let her allies escape, and then she fought and probably saved with that fire Demeter's realm. Pretty heroic as well, I'd say xD
    I think the talk was necessary in this case. This was what we were supposed to have: an insight in what the First Born wanted, in who is Diana and then Diana watching her allies fight and fall. We will see Diana fighting again in the next issues. Like you said this is not without precedent.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFeath View Post
    Well, maybe the fight wasn't epic in the last issue, but Diana was captured because she stayed behind to let her allies escape, and then she fought and probably saved with that fire Demeter's realm. Pretty heroic as well, I'd say xD
    I think the talk was necessary in this case. This was what we were supposed to have: an insight in what the First Born wanted, in who is Diana and then Diana watching her allies fight and fall. We will see Diana fighting again in the next issues. Like you said this is not without precedent.
    Yes, but what I also said is that three months is a long time for a superhero to go without throwing a punch.

I am not adverse to dialogue and character development. Game of Thrones is actually a very good example of how this is used.

But if you examine the recently aired season 4 of the GoT, what you see is things building towards truly epic confrontations. The battle at the Wall, and the duel between the Red Viper and The Mountain.

While I think that the fight shown this issue is epic and scale and definitely a step up, Diana's fight with the FB last issue was far far less awe inspiring than seeing Prince Oberyn face off against Gregor Clegane. That was the sort of thing you watch, sit there absolutely gobsmacked, and then immediately watch it again [and thats having read the books and knowing what to expect].

And of course, in GOT you only have to wait a week between episodes. Here it will be another four weeks until we get to see Diana up and at 'em.

And then there is Orion - man he gets tanked this issue. This simply cannot be the guy who we see hitting Superman with an aircraft carrier! That guy would have been uprooting buildings and using them to flatten enemies by the score. He would have been grabbing armored vehicles and using them as a baseball bat. The idea that he could be pwned by an opponent that Diana presumably defeated as a twelve year old is simply appalling. In short, if there is not a mystery Kryptonian under that minotaur helmet then Orion has been seriously defamed.
    Last edited by brettc1; 07-25-2014 at 01:00 AM.