Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

I would sadly have to go "that could be like five different people off hand", yeah.

I miss the Superman v. Galactus thread.

Always good for a chuckle.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Pen used to kick my butt on these forums like it was his job, lol. Seems like there was a Silver Surfer vs Flash thread every 3 months or so. Got so bad, Sharp finally had to come up with an official ruling on his speed.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

That was nothing compared to the long stretch of time where almost every other thread, no matter what it was about in the first place, turned into a debate about Thor's speed, and thus, Thor vs Superman. It ate the board.

"Hah, he's exaggerating."

No.

No, I am absolutely not ;p

There's a reason I'm happy this place can go to mod rulings, or frankly that's still what every other thread would still boil down to.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Well, being serious about it if there can be a serious about something like this, the memorable ones are the ones where the person absolutely and categorically will not acknowledge any evidence contrary to the character he wants to have win- end of story.

I don't remember the guy's user name and I wouldn't say it if I did, though I think he's banned, was the guy that no matter what evidence was presented would just ask everyone if what they said was what they just said (kind of a weird way to say it but I don't know how else to describe it) and then slightly alter the circumstances of the fight in ways that made no difference. That one was quite recent so maybe that's why it stands out for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I would sadly have to go "that could be like five different people off hand", yeah.
    Only five? You're being kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Pen used to kick my butt on these forums like it was his job, lol. Seems like there was a Silver Surfer vs Flash thread every 3 months or so. Got so bad, Sharp finally had to come up with an official ruling on his speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    That was nothing compared to the long stretch of time where almost every other thread, no matter what it was about in the first place, turned into a debate about Thor's speed, and thus, Thor vs Superman. It ate the board.

"Hah, he's exaggerating."

No.

No, I am absolutely not ;p

There's a reason I'm happy this place can go to mod rulings, or frankly that's still what every other thread would still boil down to.
    Not an exaggeration about the Thor debate. Even so, I hated/detested making mod rulings.

I suspect some people, many of whom no longer come to this site for various reasons (including banning), would strongly doubt that, but I really did. Putting my own interpretation down as 'the law' always seemed wrong. At the time, I would have much rather people work it out for themselves and either come to a consensus, or just walk away without agreeing.

But some stuff just never, ever stopped. And it resulted in flamewars. Bannings. Twenty-page arguments. I mean, we're not talking about 'mod-ruling on stuff that one side is misrepresenting or misinterpreting' (which was also annoying, but sensible), but actual mod-ruling on character's abilities based on the 'evidence'.

And yes, the Thor speed debate was one of them. Correction: the worst of them.

Honestly, Thor's speed in comics was all over the place to the point where I couldn't rightly FIND a 'High-end in accord with his presentation'. So we got what we got, in what I consider one of the most annoying and frustrating and regrettably necessary mod-rulings I ever did. And I still feel that while it was a decent compromise that could be somewhat upheld by the evidence, it still wasn't at all satisfying.

All it did was end the arguing.

Bleah.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Honestly, you were a Mod in one of the most... challenging periods of the forum imo. I think Rumbles in general is quite a bit smoother these days.

For what its worth, I think you did a fantastic job. I remember coming to you with some of my frustrations and you were always patient and ready to help. =)

That said, being a mod comes with certain drawbacks and tensions that clearly you didnt enjoy and I MUCH prefer you enjoyed your Rumbles experience to any other scenario.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Honestly, you were a Mod in one of the most... challenging periods of the forum imo. I think Rumbles in general is quite a bit smoother these days.

For what its worth, I think you did a fantastic job. I remember coming to you with some of my frustrations and you were always patient and ready to help. =)

That said, being a mod comes with certain drawbacks and tensions that clearly you didnt enjoy and I MUCH prefer you enjoyed your Rumbles experience to any other scenario.
    Being a mod was crappy, I'll say. I'm glad you feel that I helped, mind; helping was the reason I took the job. Certainly it wasn't for the glory and fame, because there was none of that.

Siriel was a great mod, and without him I probably would have given up.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Being a mod was crappy, I'll say. I'm glad you feel that I helped, mind; helping was the reason I took the job. Certainly it wasn't for the glory and fame, because there was none of that.

Siriel was a great mod, and without him I probably would have given up.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. You and Siriel were consistently attentive, fair and engaged with the community. Top shelf moddery lads.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. You and Siriel were consistently attentive, fair and engaged with the community. Top shelf moddery lads.
    Thanks, man - it is appreciated. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Only five? You're being kind.

Not an exaggeration about the Thor debate. Even so, I hated/detested making mod rulings.

I suspect some people, many of whom no longer come to this site for various reasons (including banning), would strongly doubt that, but I really did. Putting my own interpretation down as 'the law' always seemed wrong. At the time, I would have much rather people work it out for themselves and either come to a consensus, or just walk away without agreeing.

But some stuff just never, ever stopped. And it resulted in flamewars. Bannings. Twenty-page arguments. I mean, we're not talking about 'mod-ruling on stuff that one side is misrepresenting or misinterpreting' (which was also annoying, but sensible), but actual mod-ruling on character's abilities based on the 'evidence'.

And yes, the Thor speed debate was one of them. Correction: the worst of them.

Honestly, Thor's speed in comics was all over the place to the point where I couldn't rightly FIND a 'High-end in accord with his presentation'. So we got what we got, in what I consider one of the most annoying and frustrating and regrettably necessary mod-rulings I ever did. And I still feel that while it was a decent compromise that could be somewhat upheld by the evidence, it still wasn't at all satisfying.

All it did was end the arguing.

Bleah.
    Eh, we're all our own worst critics. While no human organization is perfect, as far as a place on the internet to debate comics, you absolutely won't find a better place to debate comic book character fights. You were a large part (along with other long time veterans on this site) of making rumbles what it is today: the best place to debate these kinds of things. I've been to other places to have these very discussions we have on Rumbles and...good grief.

Yeah, Rumbles is top notch. Is it perfect? Of course not. But by far the best place to debate comic fights.
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Would tend to agree with all of the above, and thank you for the compliment. We've all done our time here, and helped to improve it in our own ways. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Oh, as to this....

This is why mod rulings and mods enforcing those rules are necessary. People...just won't agree on everything. In fact it's one of the main reasons Rumbles is such a great place to debate because a final decision can be reached.
    ----------------------

I think Siriel was the mod whose name I was trying to remember yesterday, the one that cut me a lot of slack in my early days.

And I totally get why Sharp hated being a mod in many ways. I would hate having to threaten or ban anybody or assert my opinion over someone else's as moderator fact even if it was backed by overwhelming evidence let alone when it was debatable. The old saying really applies though that it's a tough job but somebody has to do it.

Cronus, 100% true. Real moderation is one thing that makes CBR such a great place. Sure each of us finds it annoying at times or disagrees with a particular ruling but compared to 20-50-100 pages of ignoring debate rules, ignoring evidence and so on, it's the best game in town.
    Power with Girl is better.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I think it's worth noting that, by and large, Rumbles has a good sense of community responsibility. Generally, most longstanding members play by the rules, act in ways that help with their enforcement and actively work to help new members integrate into the community.

Not to diminish the hard work of the mods at all, but I do think it's important to highlight that it's something we all contribute to and it's something that doesn't really happen on places with less codified community standards.

I think it's worth noting that, by and large, Rumbles has a good sense of community responsibility. Generally, most longstanding members play by the rules, act in ways that help with their enforcement and actively work to help new members integrate into the community.

Not to diminish the hard work of the mods at all, but I do think it's important to highlight that it's something we all contribute to and it's something that doesn't really happen on places with less codified community standards.
    Good lord, yes. And my appreciation (when I was a mod and now, both) to everyone who continues to try to keep things on an even keel.
    Why are we here?