Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    And I totally get why Sharp hated being a mod in many ways.
    I liked my hats, though. They were spiffy.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I liked my hats, though. They were spiffy.
    Yes I remember when you would put your mod hat on with a sigh to do a duty you didn't want to do, indicating that, if you didn't have the mod hat on, your opinion was just as a member of the group like everyone else. But you were a great moderator. As you said, people with a one track mind (This character has to always win and that character has to always lose) might disagree but you were.
    Power with Girl is better.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Yes I remember when you would put your mod hat on with a sigh to do a duty you didn't want to do, indicating that, if you didn't have the mod hat on, your opinion was just as a member of the group like everyone else. But you were a great moderator. As you said, people with a one track mind (This character has to always win and that character has to always lose) might disagree but you were.
    Thanks.

Just before the reset, someone who ended up ejected told me I had a Napoleonic Complex. In one of the more enjoyable parts of my mod-hood, I immediately adopted a bicorne version of my mod-hat. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

This has brought back memories of my very first post on the old board, back in around 2004/5.

Bearing in mind I've since gone on to run hundreds of tournaments, win dozens of them, create the Rumblers League and run a dozen Rumbers Leagues...

My first ever post was arguing that Buffy, Angel and their pals could defeat Feanor (of The Silmarillion fame) because "they'd find a way".

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

itachi vs. the LT.

my god, that was a legendary thread.

Extraordinary Member

Rumbles adjacent since a lot of the same people were involved, but I remember when we still had anime forums and there was one troll/die-hard Sasuke Uchiha fan that would pop up constantly and they would try to make every discussion in the Naruto threat about why Sasuke is great and/or how everybody who didn't like the character was wrong. Then they'd get banned for refusing to be civil and a few weeks/months later they'd pop up with a new name and do it all over again. And this was when the board in general was at peak dislike of Sasuke so... we didn't exactly handle that in the best of manners and just kinda egged them on. It was weird.

Speaking of, didn't we have a Write a Sasuke gets beaten up at the Wilson resturant thread at one point?

Sasuke Uchiha brought out a lot of strong emotions within people.
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 12-20-2019 at 04:59 AM.

God, I dont even watch/read Naruto and I STILL couldn't escape the Sasuke hate threads that spilled across the forum. I remember entire threads getting totally derailed by lengthy discussions on how he was/wasnt deserving of the hate.

Even now, in the last week, there is at least one example of this threatening to happen here on page 1.

....still barely a problem when compared to the Thor speed debate that people above mentioned. That stuff was legendary.

Also! Goku v Superman threads. I loved those haha
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Extraordinary Member

The funny thing, for me at least, is that I used to be part of the Sasuke-hatedom but nowadays he's like the only member of his family that I actually like. The others annoy or frustrate me.

I'll still give Sasuke shit now and again because he kinda has it coming. But I actually like him as a character now too.

Cronus, 100% true. Real moderation is one thing that makes CBR such a great place. Sure each of us finds it annoying at times or disagrees with a particular ruling but compared to 20-50-100 pages of ignoring debate rules, ignoring evidence and so on, it's the best game in town.
    Can I get an amen?
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

I remember when I first starting posting here almost 20 years ago, I wasn't used to the rules here and found it too restricting; as I was posting differently on another board. But now, I can't go on any comic board and debate because I love the rules here. I used to post a lot back then at a forum called Superhero Showdown but started to stop posting because of the constant bickering, immature posters and lack of traffic.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

I...Can mostly recall the numerous times I made threads where things in the wild get superpowers...Like trees getting heat vision.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

I remember that Everyone Attacks Thanos in the Bathroom thread. Hilarity 😆
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    itachi vs. the LT.

my god, that was a legendary thread.
    wow! I missed that one. what on earth was Itachi supposed to do? that might be almost as crazy as Darth insert-name-here versus Superman.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Since I wandered in from CBUB in late 2001/early 2002.

When board wipes were referred to as ages.
    Metaphysician the living encyclopedia.
    She with her mighty banhammer.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    I mostly remember him as Chaosburnflame: and his endless campaign to convince people that a double-bladed light saber was the worst weapon of all time... (this side of the Klingon bat'leth! ;-)
    Only have vague (and possibly biased) memories of that period, but I think I recall agreeing with CBF's argument, because it made a lot of sense based on Ray Park -- the stuntman of Darth Maul -- hating the weapon and begging George Lucas to write in something else and getting told "NO YUO" and so he had to invent a martial arts style to make the weapon work; and CBF was also (I think) dead right that simply wielding two separate blades would have given Darth Maul *a lot* more effective range and defensive capability.

And the other side of the argument was essentially "Rule of Cool trumps everything! Range doesn't actually matter! Weapon design doesn't actually matter" because the characters all have Force powers, which means they can *make* those things not actually matter. I don't think I saw it holding much water ...

Yeah, probably biased ...

====

On another topic, I wish I had seen the old Ranma vs Kenshin arguments that CBF had with TheDrunkardKid (is that the right spelling?) and possibly others. I think they were from a version of the board that got wiped before I joined, but they were mentioned so I knew they had happened. Bit of a pity, as I'd have liked to read them, being that both characters were and still are among my favorites.
    Last edited by penguin-in-leather-jacket; 12-22-2019 at 09:27 AM.