Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Are the X-Men still outlaws?

I was talking with someone in another thread about certain less-than-legal things that have happened among the X-Men particularly in terms of the character of Jubilee (her essentially stealing Shogo before adopting him legally, and the fact that we never had any proof that the X-Men had legal custody of Jubilee when she was a minor). And I realize we tend to wave away a lot of extra-legal maeuvering done by the X-Men. The reason being that back in the day it was established that they were essentially an outlaw group. At least since the days when Prof. X stopped working with the FBI. The government had wanted them at least for questioning under the suspicion that they were a mutant terrorist group rather than the group that fought the mutant terrorist groups. The only completely legal X-team back in the '90s when I started reading was X-Factor, and even then it was often suggested that Val Cooper was using them to some extent thus proving the need for outlaw mutant heroes. Later on there was Storm's XSE, which didn't last long. But now they've gone public and people know where they are. And I haven't heard anything about them getting official sanction like the Avengers or Fantastic Four. So, what is their current legal status?

There's been dozens status quo changes since the mid 80s. Thats not canon to them today. There's also been several branches of X-men since then when there was just the one Claremont team. They as a whole arent currently outlaws.

BANNED

X force is an illegal murder squad

X-Men Red is considered an outlaw team because of the first issue, when Jean appeared to murder an ambassador.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    X-Men Red is considered an outlaw team because of the first issue, when Jean appeared to murder an ambassador.
    Oh yeah and the stuff that went down in India. Oh yeah, I forgot about that and its currently playing out. I almost thought Cyclops in Bendis' run was the only time they've been treated as outlaws in a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Oh yeah and the stuff that went down in India. Oh yeah, I forgot about that and its currently playing out. I almost thought Cyclops in Bendis' run was the only time they've been treated as outlaws in a long time
    Yeah, the Red team seems in it pretty deep, right now.

Well Jubilee's parents died so... She's emancipated?

Storms team was Pro Maria Hill and Captain Marvel in Civil War 2

I always thought that ever since #600 and onwards where Scott makes Nation X, they were forgiven or something.

But uhh Jean and her team are international terrorists. And Magneto & Jeen's team seem to be following suit really quick after Mothervine and the attack in Paris.

Well they did chop off a government officials fingers while violating another countries sovereignty, it's yet to be addressed

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    X force is an illegal murder squad
    I'm surprised that isn't brought up more, if you think about it the x men had a team to kill of people they saw as a threat and if it was ever found out would cause big problems

Quote Originally Posted by Criticalfan View Post
    Well Jubilee's parents died so... She's emancipated?
    Doesn’t work that way. Minors can only be emancipated by:

- getting married
    - joining the military
    - by court order

And in most American states you have to be 16 before they’d even consider letting you do any of the above. Jubes was 12 when her parents were murdered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I'm surprised that isn't brought up more, if you think about it the x men had a team to kill of people they saw as a threat and if it was ever found out would cause big problems
    It depends on what version of X-Force you are talking about bc Cyclops and later Wolverine's X-forces were black ops group. They were secret and hidden from even their X-men teammates. They werent criminal figures to the authorities like Cable's 90s group

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Doesn’t work that way. Minors can only be emancipated by:

- getting married
    - joining the military
    - by court order

And in most American states you have to be 16 before they’d even consider letting you do any of the above. Jubes was 12 when her parents were murdered.
    Yeah, Jubilee actually ran away from an orphanage, and when she joined the X-Men the authorities probably just thought she was at boarding school (which what they thought the mansion was at the time, rather than the superhero HQ it really was).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Jubilee actually ran away from an orphanage, and when she joined the X-Men the authorities probably just thought she was at boarding school (which what they thought the mansion was at the time, rather than the superhero HQ it really was).
    Man I miss the 80s/90's super rich white families, Boarding Schools on every corner ready to take in as many minority wise asses the world threw at them