Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Nowhere is the word omnibus written on them.
    Your right but, that's what they are called. At least by the links are the links I have shown. Others have omnibuses that are volumes 1 and 2.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 07-26-2018 at 10:40 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Spectacular Member

Honestly, who cares if the word Omnibus is used on the title? An omnibus is just a collection of books. We generally recognise as comic readers that it normally means hardcover and large collections of runs. But event that isn't universal; even some Marvel Omnibuses have been shorter than some trade paperbacks and Dark Horse uses the phrase for books that are paperbacks. There's no hard and fast rule here, except someone who always tries to suck as much fun out of these boards as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by madave View Post
    Honestly, who cares if the word Omnibus is used on the title? An omnibus is just a collection of books. We generally recognise as comic readers that it normally means hardcover and large collections of runs. But event that isn't universal; even some Marvel Omnibuses have been shorter than some trade paperbacks and Dark Horse uses the phrase for books that are paperbacks. There's no hard and fast rule here, except someone who always tries to suck as much fun out of these boards as possible.
    + 1 Oh how true

A custom omnibus would count as cheating wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    A custom omnibus would count as cheating wouldn't it?
    If not, I’ll add Wildcats version 3.0 to my list

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I was trying to think, "What makes an omni special?". For me, the omnibus are special because the art is gloriously oversized and the experience of reading the complete story in a massive format, makes it a massive and overwhelming experience!

1. George Perez Avenger/Kurt Busiek Book One: I really could pick any Perez Omnibus but this one really showcases the format. I was already a Perez fan, but he was far from my favorite artist. I got these issues when they came out and liked them, but seeing them oversized really brought home Perez's genius. The detail in this book makes it an immersive experience. Perez is a god! Bring on a bronze age Perez Omnibus! I can't wait to read to original Nefaria saga again! (I almost picked Wonder Woman or Crisis on Infinite Earths.)

2. Stray Bullets by David Lapham: I read this once before I had my glasses and it was a snooze. Then I got glasses and read the whole thing twice. This is great trailer park noir and I was legitimately scared at times as i read this book. I had never heard of these stories before and once I dove in, it was Sin City good.

3. X-Statix by Peter Milligan and Mike Allred: This is one of those books I have bought in multiple formats and I feel lucky after each rereading. It's funny and smart and radically inventive with the format. Mike Allred's art is gorgeous all the way through and Milligan just seems quietly ahead of the game as always.( And I swear I am not a Peter Milligan fanatic.)

I would have chosen Top Ten or Absolute Final Crisis but they are not Omnibus so to speak.
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 07-28-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Amazing Member

Hey are the other 2 George Perez Wonder Woman Omni's worth getting? I love Perez's artwork which is why I'm very hesitant into getting the other 2. Plus the second one seems to have alot less chapters/pages than Vol 1 and is the same price :-/

Thinking I might pick up a Batman Knightfall Vol 1 omni

Quote Originally Posted by madave View Post
    Yeah, who cares if it's an omnibus, we're trying to have fun listing our top omnibuses!

But as far as hard and fast rules go, Marvel literally has an "Omnibus" line of books, of which Fraction's Invincible Iron Man is not a part of.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Yeah, who cares if it's an omnibus, we're trying to have fun listing our top omnibuses!

But as far as hard and fast rules go, Marvel literally has an "Omnibus" line of books, of which Fraction's Invincible Iron Man is not a part of.
    You’re kinda cool. In a dickish sort of way. But I get what you’re saying.

All-New Member

Really tough question for me.

1. Astonishing X-Men by Whedon/Cassaday
    Bought it not so long ago and it was totally worth it. I enjoyed story and art so much.

2. The Sleeper by Brubaker/Phillips
    BruPhillips are my top1 team. Also it was one of the first omnis I've ever bought. Basically it was one of the things that spark my love to comics.

3. Sandman 1-2 by Gaiman
    Not only one of the best comics ever, but also omnibuses are stunning as well.

Not top3, but also I really like: Alias, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Animal Man by Morrison, Loki by Gillen, Daredevil by Miller, Planetary and Gotham Central (oh well, this list is a bit too long).

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HuggyBear View Post
    Hey are the other 2 George Perez Wonder Woman Omni's worth getting? I love Perez's artwork which is why I'm very hesitant into getting the other 2. Plus the second one seems to have alot less chapters/pages than Vol 1 and is the same price :-/

Thinking I might pick up a Batman Knightfall Vol 1 omni
    I actually didn't get the other two WW omnibus. He doesn't do the art on the other two?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I was trying to think, "What makes an omni special?". For me, the omnibus are special because the art is gloriously oversized and the experience of reading the complete story in a massive format, makes it a massive and overwhelming experience!

1. George Perez Avenger/Kurt Busiek Book One: I really could pick any Perez Omnibus but this one really showcases the format. I was already a Perez fan, but he was far from my favorite artist. I got these issues when they came out and liked them, but seeing them oversized really brought home Perez's genius. The detail in this book makes it an immersive experience. Perez is a god! Bring on a bronze age Perez Omnibus! I can't wait to read to original Nefaria saga again! (I almost picked Wonder Woman or Crisis on Infinite Earths.)

2. Stray Bullets by David Lapham: I read this once before I had my glasses and it was a snooze. Then I got glasses and read the whole thing twice. This is great trailer park noir and I was legitimately scared at times as i read this book. I had never heard of these stories before and once I dove in, it was Sin City good.

3. X-Statix by Peter Milligan and Mike Allred: This is one of those books I have bought in multiple formats and I feel lucky after each rereading. It's funny and smart and radically inventive with the format. Mike Allred's art is gorgeous all the way through and Milligan just seems quietly ahead of the game as always.( And I swear I am not a Peter Milligan fanatic.)

I would have chosen Top Ten or Absolute Final Crisis but they are not Omnibus so to speak.
    I love the 90s! Great choice for #1!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I actually didn't get the other two WW omnibus. He doesn't do the art on the other two?
    Nope Perez stops doing the art and only does the writing after issue 24 which is when the first omnibus ends.

Out of the omnibuses that I own and have actually read, I would say my top 3 are

1. Sleeper
    2. Planetary
    3. Brubaker's Daredevil Volume 1

Gotham Central is very close to making the list though.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Quote Originally Posted by theboychild View Post
    What are your top 3 omnis?
    What's so great about Dodge Omnis?