Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Uncanny..... what the heck has happened?

How’d the biggest thing in comics get to the point of not even being an on going? I know Uncanny is coming back, but how did a title that was selling 70k a month even 5 years ago get to this point? I’ve only read Marvel comics for a few years now and only the first to Xmen omni’s. I’m not stirring the pot, I’m really interested in the history. Thanks for any insight.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd line g View Post
    How’d the biggest thing in comics get to the point of not even being an on going? I know Uncanny is coming back, but how did a title that was selling 70k a month even 5 years ago get to this point? I’ve only read Marvel comics for a few years now and only the first to Xmen omni’s. I’m not stirring the pot, I’m really interested in the history. Thanks for any insight.
    A dying industry as a whole. Digital comics and piracy

BANNED

The inhumans happened, CYCLOPS DIES, you do the math

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I blame Uncanny X-Men volume 4, that book should always be the flagship X-Men book. once it is a side book with side characters people will care less.

Extraordinary Member

There have been other periods where Uncanny wasn't the flagship, like the Grant Morrison era.

I think a lot of stuff that happened behind the scenes in the middle of the decade - the order from on high to de-emphasize the Fox properties, the sudden departure of Mike Marts as X-Men editor, the scrapping of Rick Remender's planned takeover as X-Men writer - screwed the comics up (and not just the X-Men comics) in ways that will still be felt even though the Fox war is mostly over. We really need some kind of behind-the-scenes tell-all journalism about those years. It would be more interesting than the comics.

I think much of it was the rise of the MCU, and the acrimony with Fox over the rights. Marvel salted that field well.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    There have been other periods where Uncanny wasn't the flagship, like the Grant Morrison era.

I think a lot of stuff that happened behind the scenes in the middle of the decade - the order from on high to de-emphasize the Fox properties, the sudden departure of Mike Marts as X-Men editor, the scrapping of Rick Remender's planned takeover as X-Men writer - screwed the comics up (and not just the X-Men comics) in ways that will still be felt even though the Fox war is mostly over. We really need some kind of behind-the-scenes tell-all journalism about those years. It would be more interesting than the comics.
    I think Bunn's Uncanny was fine. But it got derailed by all the crossover events that Bunn had to modify his story to accommodate for. Possibly interrupting things he wanted to set up, or already started laying groundwork for. The last few chapters were the IvX crap. Then they took his run off at 19 chapters, and told him to write the O5, or nothing with X-Men Blue, whom Magneto was only in because Bunn begged for him.

Hell Weapon X is the lowest selling "X" team book, and it's still going. Despite the fact it doesn't get too much attention or consideration outside of people specifically working on it. And sometimes not even that. Pak shares more, and gets more excited about his Hulk series and new upcoming projects than Weapon X. Last time I recall him saying something about Weapon X on twitter was in Feb. lol And on rare instances where fans tweet to him about it, he rarely responds. Only twice that I can recall of the 4-6 times it's happened.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 07-22-2018 at 05:39 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    I think Bunn's Uncanny was fine. But it got derailed by all the crossover events that Bunn had to modify his story to accommodate for. Possibly interrupting things he wanted to set up, or already started laying groundwork for. The last few chapters were the IvX crap. Then they took his run off at 19 chapters, and told him to write the O5, or nothing with X-Men Blue, whom Magneto was only in because Bunn begged for him.
    I'm not blaming Bunn, who has been one of the (few, in my opinion) Marvel writers doing consistently good work recently. I also think Mark Paniccia is a good editor who did a pretty good job with the X-line considering the terrible circumstances and ridiculous orders from management.

This isn't a story of incompetent people (well, OK, a few, but every line has them). Actually I think the X-Books have been, overall, about as entertaining as the lines with more resources, maybe more so. It's just obvious that it was given orders to do things that were not good for the franchise, particularly the whole IvX thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I blame Uncanny X-Men volume 4, that book should always be the flagship X-Men book. once it is a side book with side characters people will care less.
    Had Extraordinary been titled Uncanny, we'd still be in the same position we are in now. Marvel thought the color coded titles would be cool which is why they didnt go the obvious route at giving us a v5

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    What do you mean by volume 4? When/what issues is it?

Extraordinary Member

Volume 4 is the 2016 relaunch written by Bunn.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Volume 4 was the one Cullen Bunn wrote with Sabretooth, Magneto, Monet, Psylocke, Archangel, plus Mystique & Fantomex.

Last edited by Silver Fang; 07-22-2018 at 06:14 PM.

It was basically a villains team with Betsy somehow roped into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Volume 4 was the one Cullen Bunn wrote with Sabretooth, Magneto, Monet, Psylocke, Archangel, plus Mystique & Fantomex.

I still say that book should have been X-Force in premise alone.