Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Uncanny with Gillen sold very well, and his 2 Sinister stories are the best Sinister stories

BANNED

It's due to some greedy Marvel editors who keep relaunching number 1 because number 1 sells.

People don't care about number 1 anymore because it is too frequent and too many relaunches.

They should go back to basics and continue the old numbering to avoid confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    There have been other periods where Uncanny wasn't the flagship, like the Grant Morrison era.

I think a lot of stuff that happened behind the scenes in the middle of the decade - the order from on high to de-emphasize the Fox properties, the sudden departure of Mike Marts as X-Men editor, the scrapping of Rick Remender's planned takeover as X-Men writer - screwed the comics up (and not just the X-Men comics) in ways that will still be felt even though the Fox war is mostly over. We really need some kind of behind-the-scenes tell-all journalism about those years. It would be more interesting than the comics.
    Whoa, hold up! This was a thing? I wanna know more about what it entailed and why it never materialized. Remender would've injected some much-needed life into the line at a time when Aaron and Bendis turned it into the written equivalent of Valium.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Uncanny returning in November. According to Jordan D. White.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Not sure what there was too enjoy. The stuff with the Will reading and Matthew Malloy went on for too long and I lost interest. It made me drop the book. It didnt feel like Bendis really knew what he was doing at this point.
    Agreed. I would've had a fairly favorable view of the run if it weren't for those arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    Agreed. I would've had a fairly favorable view of the run if it weren't for those arcs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Whoa, hold up! This was a thing? I wanna know more about what it entailed and why it never materialized. Remender would've injected some much-needed life into the line at a time when Aaron and Bendis turned it into the written equivalent of Valium.
    20180723_034818.jpg
    The X-Editors probby knew how difficult Remenders run would be if no one dared utter the *gulp* "M-Word" in Havoks presence...one slip up and BOOM!! plasma blast and hobo puss to the face

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    20180723_034818.jpg
    The X-Editors probby knew how difficult Remenders run would be if no one dared utter the *gulp* "M-Word" in Havoks presence...one slip up and BOOM!! plasma blast and hobo puss to the face
    I literally stopped purchasing Marvel comics when Uncanny X-Men was canceled.

They took the adjective that has been associated to the X-Men for nearly 40 years and to prop up the Avengers, gave the Avengers the Uncanny moniker. I found this so disrespectful that I couldn't support this organization. Here's hoping that brighter days are coming

Uncanny X-Men should always be the core book, no if, ands or buts.

Jean
    Cyclops
    Storm
    Wolverine

Everyone else should be interchangeable

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    It's due to some greedy Marvel editors who keep relaunching number 1 because number 1 sells.

People don't care about number 1 anymore because it is too frequent and too many relaunches.

They should go back to basics and continue the old numbering to avoid confusion.
    Numbering will probably be #1 with either LGY#620 (if they don't count Gold - the last two volumes ended at 600 and 19) or LGY#656 (if they do count Gold's 36 issues) underneath.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    20180723_034818.jpg
    For me personally, losing Remender was dodging a bullet. I liked his X-force but I really really did not like his Uncanny Avengers. For more than just this moment, but this moment was definitely a big tipping point lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JmH Reborn View Post

They took the adjective that has been associated to the X-Men for nearly 40 years and to prop up the Avengers, gave the Avengers the Uncanny moniker. I found this so disrespectful that I couldn't support this organization. Here's hoping that brighter days are coming

I wholeheartedly agree with this 150%
    This on the the other hand....
    Jean
    Cyclops
    Storm
    Wolverine

How could this lead to good storytelling? Not considering I find those 4 to be the least interesting X-Men (thanks to an intro to New Mutants them GenX) but have four "stars" will eventually lead to stagnation and "bottlenecking" where every conceivable thing happens to a few characters while their are newer and newer chars getting crammed down with limbo and shitty story arcs

BANNED

Jean
    Cyclops
    Storm
    Wolverine

Adjective was important when the X-Men was the only mutant team in the 1960s. Yes, they were uncanny when compared to other teams.

But when the X-Men have grown so many folds, we really need to have several teams without the adjectives.

So the colored teams are a natural progression.

Even when the first core team split into two , they were called gold and blue team although the title didn't change.

Hopefully, we don't have vol 1, vol 2 etc , it's so confusing after just 30 issues for each volume.

I can understand if they start another volume after issue 999 but nowdays they just relaunch after every 30 issues.

So in 10 years time, we have probably vol. 1000. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post

I don’t diagree thay the relaunch thing is annoying, but the other stuff you said isn’t true really.

Marvel keeps doing relaunches to number one because they get a sales bump. So clearly they are following the market trend that the readers are setting.

On another note I do agree with something someone said earlier and I think it’s thag most of us vastly underestimate the negative effect of people stealing comics by reading them free online.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

While I get the idea of disrespect, what peeves me off about moving the adjective is that it confuses the branding. Is Marvel trying to dilute their brands into some indistinguishable blob? Leave Uncanny with the X-Titles, Amazing with Spider-Man, Incredible with the Hulk, Invincible with Iron Man, etc. It just confuses things when you start swapping them all around from a marketing perspective.

Part of that, though, ties into the behind-the-scenes stuff going on and how it was, intentionally or no, harming the X-books (aka The CompleX). I mean, do you see them making an X-Men book called "Earth's Mightiest Heroes," Secret X-Men, Fantastic X-Men and the like?

If the franchise needs a secondary or tertiary adjective, Astonishing works and, honestly, so does Extraordinary.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Ramos dropped hints that the writer he was going to be working with was Remender. Remender probably left to dodge that T-Mist bullet. I miss him.

When did they first go to more than one Xmen book a month, and what was it called?