• No

11 47.83%
  • Unsure

1 4.35%
  • No opinion

1 4.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Would you like to see Guy and Kyle in a space comic?

While Hal appeared in an Earth comic?

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    While Hal appeared in an Earth comic?
    Yes I would with Space Cabbie as a supporting regular character.....does anyone else like Space Cabbie or am I his only fan? Lol.
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Favorite Titles: X-Men Red, Legion of X, Marauders, Hellions

If it was good I'd read it of course, but I think Kyle does better on earth. He's the Everyman of the GLC, it makes more sense and plays to his strengths to keep him on earth, with a job and a secret identity and all that.

And Guy never should have left the Reds in the first place; it was a perfect fit for him.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Guy was best in JLI. I don't think he should ever leave earth. Hal is better in space and looking forward to Morrison's run. It's the only thing besides Red Hood and Frank Millers books I'll be dropping money on. DC did ok with TV and movie this Comic Con but the announcements for the comics are pretty bad. Maybe I'll read Captain Marvel by Johns but it better not be decompressed and it needs to grab me from the first issue.

As with any comic, it would depend on the creators involved. A concept is only as good as its creators, after all. A good writer can make even the most ridiculous concept into something worth reading, while a poor creator can turn what should have been a sure-fire concept into a complete mess.

As for this particular concept, Kyle is one of my all-time favorite characters. Guy, I can take or leave. If I had my druthers, I'd prefer a Kyle solo set on Earth with occasional ventures into space, maybe with Guy popping up from time to time as a supporting character. But I'd want someone writing it who really gets Kyle as a character. Ron Marz and Grant Morrison really got Kyle. Other writers who have had their hand at the character, like Judd Winnick and Ben Raab, not so much. And Tom King wrote him so out of character in Omega Men it might as well have been a different character.

Sure, they work great together.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Definitely.
    The GLC mini series from a few years ago was bloody brilliant.
    I was really disappointed when they abandoned the formula when it became an ongoing.
    If written well, they play off each other brilliantly.

And off topic, one of THE best Batman/Guy Gardner scenes involved the line "Tell Guy he needs a shave."
    THAT'S Guy Gardner!!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ERON View Post
    As with any comic, it would depend on the creators involved. A concept is only as good as its creators, after all. A good writer can make even the most ridiculous concept into something worth reading, while a poor creator can turn what should have been a sure-fire concept into a complete mess.

As for this particular concept, Kyle is one of my all-time favorite characters. Guy, I can take or leave. If I had my druthers, I'd prefer a Kyle solo set on Earth with occasional ventures into space, maybe with Guy popping up from time to time as a supporting character. But I'd want someone writing it who really gets Kyle as a character. Ron Marz and Grant Morrison really got Kyle. Other writers who have had their hand at the character, like Judd Winnick and Ben Raab, not so much. And Tom King wrote him so out of character in Omega Men it might as well have been a different character.
    While I totally agree with you in regards to Marz and Morrison, I actually thought Judd Winick's run was very VERY good. Especially his first year introducing Nero.
    The less said about Ben Raab's run the better. I thought that was truly HORRIBLE.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I would buy everything with them in.

I like them well enough, but I have almost no interest in buying any other GL titles that don't feature Hal. So I really have no opinion about where they end up as long as Hal gets featured somewhere.

Maybe if Kyle ended up in a Refrigerator.
    Loved Guy's series in the 90's.

BANNED

Well of course other variations are possible. But with Hal's supporting cast and background on Earth, and with his space adventures being long since worn out, it seems to me that Earth duty is the best role for him now, if you're not going to make him the Spectre.

By process of elimination, that leaves space for Guy and Kyle. But that doesn't mean you couldn't do a few furlough stories on Earth.

Re Guy as a Red Lantern and Kyle as a White Lantern: That failed, so there's no point in trying it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Re Guy as a Red Lantern and Kyle as a White Lantern: That failed, so there's no point in trying it again.
    As I recall, Soule's Red Lanterns didnt sell terribly. It didn't sell great, but it sold well enough. It ended because Soule left and rather than bring another creative team in long-term, they just gave Guy a send-off so they could clear the path to return him to the status quo. Same as what happened with Swamp Thing and Animal Man; it wasn't the sales that caused the cancellation but the change in creative teams and DC's lack of interest/ability in bringing in new talent.

If I'm remembering wrong, I welcome a correction though.

Kyle as a White Lantern definitely didn't seem to work, but I'm not sure if DC intended it to be a long-term thing in the first place. In any case, Kyle's the Everyman; anything that removes him further from earth or the Corps isn't going to work with his character.

If I had my way, I'd have John in 2814, working with the League. Kyle in 2814 living on earth, and Guy and Hal in space.

I actually think it's time we saw a Lantern assigned to earth specifically. Not just 2814, which is a big Sector full of other planets, but earth itself. Earth is always causing problems and you'd think the Guardians would put a Lantern on the planet full-time to keep an eye on those ridiculous superheroes who keep causing trouble. Kyle would be a great fit for such a role; it works with his primary themes and character structure and he's a well respected member of the Honor Guard, and the only earth Lantern the Guardians liked and trusted (at least, last I knew; I haven't read much GL in years). If they were going to put anyone on earth full-time, Kyle makes the most sense.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

If I had my way, I'd have John in 2814, working with the League. Kyle in 2814 living on earth, and Guy and Hal in space.
    I'd actually prefer Kyle in Titans and Guy in space as a GREEN Lantern, but it doesn't look like they'll do that.

Kyle in the Titans is actually a great idea. He's the same age, and had personal connections to them pre-Flashpoint that could easily be re-established.

As far as the problem of Hal and Kyle both being on Earth at the same time, how about this? Prior to Hal's resurrection, Kyle had little to do with the old GL Corps. He had more of a personal relationship with Alan Scott and Jade. So why not take Kyle out of the Corps entirely and tie his powers into the Starheart? Then you can have Kyle and Hal both active on Earth without stepping on each others' toes, so to speak.