Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    Yeah, I bought comics solely for the art before and thought they were fantastic because of the art.
    Yeah, I found the writing in Sojourn to be quite dull but I bought the whole series because of Greg Land's art.

A lot of the Satellite Years JLofA was dull as well (especially the Gerry Conway years) but Dick Dillin and George Perez's art more than made up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    If Wonder Woman had had a bad script, then it would not have been a good movie.

No movie has ever had a bad script and been a good movie.
    Killer Klowns from Outer Space disagrees!

It just depends on the scripts that get written.

Nobody predicted that Ant Man and the Wasp be good movies for Marvel, but they were. That's because the scripts were good.

And nobody predicted that Justice League and Green Lantern would be bad movies for DC, but they were. That's because the scripts were bad.

I hope DC will stop focusing on directors and stars, and will start focusing on scripts. When you've got no script, you've got no movie.
    For the sake of discussion, let's just assume the scripts will be good. From the OP, this is a "what would you like to see" thread, not a thread about what would sell, or get made, or be marketable or even work - of course a movie should have a good script. It should also have good actors, good direction, and they should make sure to take the lens cap off the camera, etc...

WB's new "World of DC" tag seems to me to indicate almost the opposite way of thinking of these movies though where (unlike the comics) it seems that the interconnected movies are the exceptions rather than the rule. I do agree that it opens things up a lot more, creatively. I'd love to see:
    -- Legion of Super-Heroes: par sci-fi, part super-heroics, all heart and fun interdynamics between characters. A real Spielberg-ian type of fun adventure movie.
    -- Doom Patrol: Yes, there's going to be a tv show, but if the Flash can do it... this would be more adult though, perhaps even R-rated and *crazy* as all get out - the most insane kind of stuff from Morrison's run - trippy/horror/super-hero film.
    -- The Question: More of a modern film noir crime drama. Just a touch of the bizarre, a little philosophical, but mostly about a super-righteous, violent borderline nuts tv reporter who feels compelled to not just report on evil-doers, but to put them down.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-23-2018 at 08:24 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    For the sake of discussion, let's just assume the scripts will be good. From the OP, this is a "what would you like to see" thread, not a thread about what would sell, or get made, or be marketable or even work - of course a movie should have a good script. It should also have good actors, good direction, and they should make sure to take the lens cap off the camera, etc...

WB's new "World of DC" tag seems to me to indicate almost the opposite way of thinking of these movies though where (unlike the comics) it seems that the interconnected movies are the exceptions rather than the rule. I do agree that it opens things up a lot more, creatively. I'd love to see:
    -- Legion of Super-Heroes: par sci-fi, part super-heroics, all heart and fun interdynamics between characters. A real Spielberg-ian type of fun adventure movie.
    -- Doom Patrol: Yes, there's going to be a tv show, but if the Flash can do it... this would be more adult though, perhaps even R-rated and *crazy* as all get out - the most insane kind of stuff from Morrison's run - trippy/horror/super-hero film.
    -- The Question: More of a modern film noir crime drama. Just a touch of the bizarre, a little philosophical, but mostly about a super-righteous, violent borderline nuts tv reporter who feels compelled to not just report on evil-doers, but to put them down.
    That's fine. But we can talk about what properties would seem to lend themselves to good scripts.

Right now, what do I think DC has that might lend itself to a good script? Maybe the Spectre. But they'd have to get away from the cosmic and religious elements, and lose the idea of the Spectre as a parasite.

The Rogues.

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Immortal Men would be an incredible movie
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Regarding good/bad scripts the Ur-example is Star Wars : A New Hope.

Read the script. It's schlocky garbage at best with even the actors acknowledging as such, chock full of pulp tropes and cliches that were wearing thin during its writing. Through a combo of a decent director, a GREAT editor, decent actors and impressive SFX it became a sensation.

As for low budget elseworldy stuff ? You could easily do a Martian Manhunter Noir story with his actual form being rarely seen or only in the shadows, focus more on his telepathy as the 'on screen' power whilst his other stuff is implied or offscreen. Constantine done right can be surprisingly cheap. If you've got access to the BBC's wardrobe any of the Steampunk/Victorian elseworlds stories could work.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Regarding good/bad scripts the Ur-example is Star Wars : A New Hope.

Read the script. It's schlocky garbage at best with even the actors acknowledging as such, chock full of pulp tropes and cliches that were wearing thin during its writing. Through a combo of a decent director, a GREAT editor, decent actors and impressive SFX it became a sensation.
    So why even bother with professional writers? Just get rid of them, and save a lot of money and hassle. In the comics too.

You guys are onto something!

So why even bother with professional writers? Just get rid of them, and save a lot of money and hassle. In the comics too!
    Because Star Wars was lightning in a bottle. The point is that bad scripts can make good movies and vice versa. It's all about everything coming together as a harmonious whole.

A live-action Batman: Gotham by Gaslight adaptation.

If the Joker movie is any indication these will have low budgets. So I'd say most "big" superheroes are out. Nothing that would require a lot of CGI. So I'd do:

The Question. I feel he'd lend himself really well to a mystery or political thriller.

Astonishing Member

So why even bother with professional writers? Just get rid of them, and save a lot of money and hassle. In the comics too.

You guys are onto something!
    Some of the writing I see nowadays, especially at marvel, I think it's already happened

But of course a good story, or a good script, that's all a matter of taste

I don't think scripts have been the big issue in the dceu, to me its been about tone of the films, I thought bvs was far to grim, as was man of steel, not bad writing, just the wrong choice

I definitely think justice league got superman a little better

none of the films have made me think the scripts were the problem, though I do think jl was a bit forced in the humour

it's been the tone of the films I think have been an issue, Imo, taking themselves far too seriously to distinguish from marvel in the early films, trying too hard to shift in Justice league

It will never ever happen because the first live action film was horribly done and killed any chance he had of getting another chance, but I would love to see Jonah Hex done right. A good script, a good director, good actors, and a cheap, character driven western. Do it right!

Gotham by Gaslight is another. Keep it cheap, do it right, would be a hell of a grand time.

The Spectre could be fun and cheap superhero horror if done like that animated short film. That was cool.

BANNED

Stormwatch/The Authority
    Wildcats 3.0
    Proper Lucifer
    Hitman
    Crossovers like Batman/Judge Dredd
    Super Buddies (who knows? If Shazam! is a big hit...)
    Oracle

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Stormwatch/The Authority
    Wildcats 3.0
    Proper Lucifer
    Hitman
    Crossovers like Batman/Judge Dredd
    Super Buddies (who knows? If Shazam! is a big hit...)
    Oracle
    Man, 3.0 is a tough one.

For folks to actually get the most out of it, they would need to have a pretty good working knowledge of the Casey run prior to 3.0 and it wouldn't hurt if they knew the broad strokes of the Moore run.