Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Shazam before JSA and LoS??

It looks like we'll be getting a Shazam comic before we get a Justice Society comic and a Legion of Superheroes comic.

And isn't that sort of goofy? Shouldn't Geoff Johns focus on finishing Doomsday Clock before he worries about Shazam?

Should Johns focus be on finishing Doomsday Clock? Sure. However, Shazam is one of my favorite DC characters and I am very glad to see him be returning before the end of the year.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

The movie is coming out and a new trailer just debuted. Makes sense why they think it would be a good idea to have some more books on the shelf. Whether it works or not is a different thing.

BANNED

The movie isn't coming out until April. That's nine months from now. We aren't getting JSA and LoS until after quite a while after April?

If it's so important to get a Shazam comic on the stands in April -- and I don't think it is -- then someone else can write the first issues using plots from Johns.

Otherwise, maybe they'll announce JSA and LoS at the NEXT SDCC...

SHAZAM! deserves it's own book, and his last back-up tale was left on a bit of a surprise setup for more. So fans have been waiting too.

Also all these supposed Universe changing events become meaningless, and I loath DC and especially the fans who gobble them up, pushing them as the main drive and focus.
    I care more about the individual books and characters, not slavishly following these ridiculously over-hyped events.
    Whenever a book ties into an event it always becomes my drop off point.
    Sorry you were roped into another meaningless endless-tinkering event, you have none to blame but yourself.

As far as Legion and especially JSA, I'de love to see them back.
    And I don't need another frikin "event" to play out or explain it, just bring them back, like they've been there all along!

JSA should just take place (and continue to take place) in DC's ambiguous deco-diesel-punk pulpy looking past (see Batman Animated series on how to do timeless setting) . Don't tie it to a specific date, make it fluid, and their tales can read as DC's ongoing past and continue as inspiration for the modern age.
    And Legion should be DC's equally ambiguous (and fluid) future. again don't give it a date.

And we don't need events to constantly "fix" or "explain" it. Stop feeding into them!
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-23-2018 at 09:56 AM.

BANNED

I dont think this is a good/necessary decision but if they want to have some trades on the shelf other then just the one by from the JL back ups they need to get going now if they want it by the time the movie comes out.

BANNED

The issue here is triage.

One thing has been holding up JSA and LoS for a long time. That is how long it's taking Doomsday Clock to come out.

The writer of Doomday Clock is going to now divert his time and energy into writing Shazam?

Is that a good thing?

If you've been writing comics for 20 years, you should know how long it takes to get something done. There should be no unexpected delays.

If I were him, I wouldn't even have gone to the SDCC. I'd have been too busy for that.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-23-2018 at 05:34 AM.

I thought the hold up with Doomsday Clock was because Frank was drawing Batman Earth One vol 3 at the same time.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    The movie is coming out and a new trailer just debuted. Makes sense why they think it would be a good idea to have some more books on the shelf. Whether it works or not is a different thing.
    ^This^ Cinematic IP Pump has driven comics bus for at least a decade, maybe two. With a ramp up towards a film, it should be no surprise that WB would want their marquee directors aimed at stuff that helps promote the film, and just maybe generates some reciprocal revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post

One thing has been holding up JSA and LoS for a long time. That is how long it's taking Doomsday Clock to come out.

The writer of Doomday Clock is going to now divert his time and energy into writing Shazam?

Is that a good thing?

If you've been writing comics for 20 years, you should know how long it takes to get something done. There should be no unexpected delays.

If I were him, I wouldn't even have gone to the SDCC. I'd have been too busy for that.
    He knows what he is doing and has been doing it successfully for years, but you got to go to SDCC to promote and hype. Also you do not know what is going on with the book it could be the artist and not the writer. I think he knows what he is doing being a pro writer and not a fanfic Monday morning quarterback

Extraordinary Member

As much as I would love the return of JSA and LSH, I'm not holding my breath that either of these will be any good when they do finally return.

Unless it's built on Pre-Crisis history, both of these books will probably look nothing like the heroes we fell in love with in our youth. They'll both be targeted towards 12 - 15 year olds. And there's nothing wrong with that really. They probably feel the need to target a younger audience and that's their right to do so. But these books rarely ever provide much for those of us who grew up loving them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    He knows what he is doing and has been doing it successfully for years, but you got to go to SDCC to promote and hype. Also you do not know what is going on with the book it could be the artist and not the writer. I think he knows what he is doing being a pro writer and not a fanfic Monday morning quarterback
    Then PUT ANOTHER ARTIST ON IT! Hey, put THREE MORE ARTISTS on it! Just get it done!

I'd rather have the same artist throughout the arc of a story than a bunch of fill ins. I remember reading something with Dustin Nguyen drawing and then a fill in artist who had a completely different style came in and it ruined the story for me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    I'd rather have the same artist throughout the arc of a story than a bunch of fill ins. I remember reading something with Dustin Nguyen drawing and then a fill in artist who had a completely different style came in and it ruined the story for me.
    That's fine, from where you stand. But how much income has DC lost by not getting JSA and LoS on the stands in 2016? Besides not getting Doomsday Clock on the stands on time?

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post

Is that a good thing?
    Johns has stepped down from many of his other duties with DC/WB that had been taking up so much of his time, so being able to write a new series while still finishing Doomsday Cluck isn't unreasonable. Besides, is the "Shazam!" series tied into Doomsday Cluck's overall story?

Much as I want to have the JSA back yesterday, I can't really object to having Johns writing a Shazam! series at the same time. (Just as long as all his other announced writing projects aren't delaying Doomsday Cluck any further!)

Besides, since I don't want Johns himself to write a new JSA series, . . .